Sponsored

ID.4 Runs Out Of Juice! Almost Made It To A Charger..

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Cautionary video By 'Out of Spec' Kyle on just how much time and effort you'll waste if you let your EV traction battery run down to 0% SOC...

tldw: it took 3+ hrs for flatbed to arrive at 3:15AM to get transported 1 mile to closest CCS charger.

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Cautionary video By 'Out of Spec' Kyle on just how much time and effort you'll waste if you let your EV traction battery run down to 0% SOC...

tldw: it took 3+ hrs for flatbed to arrive at 3:15AM to get transported 1 mile to closest CCS charger.

Also ID4 have no place for hooks to be towed....flat bed only.... Classy

OP
OP
NY_Rob

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Also ID4 have no place for hooks to be towed....flat bed only.... Classy
Great idea VW... let's remove the front tow hook receiver if you have the trailer hitch option in the rear :mad:

Last edited:

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
we need more "let's run out of charge on purpose so we can get more clicks" action.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
we need more "let's run out of charge on purpose so we can get more clicks" action.
It really is getting old. Cars run out of gas all the time and depending on where you are it might take just as long for you to either walk to a gas station and back or wait for roadside assistance to show up.

No one is making youtube videos about that because it's dumb and boring... just like these videos are.

Sponsored

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
It really is getting old. Cars run out of gas all the time and depending on where you are it might take just as long for you to either walk to a gas station and back or wait for roadside assistance to show up.

No one is making youtube videos about that because it's dumb and boring... just like these videos are.
No kidding. totally agree with you and Count. These anti EV videos are getting ridiculous.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

No kidding. totally agree with you and Count. These anti EV videos are getting ridiculous.
I wouldn't call this an anti-EV video, especially coming from Kyle who owns an R1T. His friend killed her battery and called him for help. He even notes that she was coming back from another city and passed up several charges on the way. This was complete user error and I don't think he presents it as anything else.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I wouldn't call this an anti-EV video, especially coming from Kyle who owns an R1T. His friend killed her battery and called him for help. He even notes that she was coming back from another city and passed up several charges on the way. This was complete user error and I don't think he presents it as anything else.
While I’m a big fan of Kyle I do think it’s a bit misleading to post something like his video. Especially these days when people only read the titles. This will only hurt EV adaption and give an o to the actual anti EV crowd.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
The question for me is - and this is my criticism of 90% of the videos on YT - why is this worthy of a video? Recording myself going to hang out with a friend who’s car died (ICE or EV) is just pointless to me. And I find it hard to believe Kyle isn’t aware of how that video will be perceived by many. He’s no dummy.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

The question for me is - and this is my criticism of 90% of the videos on YT - why is this worthy of a video? Recording myself going to hang out with a friend who’s car died (ICE or EV) is just pointless to me. And I find it hard to believe Kyle isn’t aware of how that video will be perceived by many. He’s no dummy.
Worthy of a video? Apparently a 32 minute video. I had to hit play to see how long it was. I won't watch it, but I guess their editing ability is getting pretty good if they managed to get a 3 hour ordeal into "only" 32 minutes.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

Did he attempt to trickle charge the ID4 from the truck?

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Clubs

Did he attempt to trickle charge the ID4 from the truck?
Answering my question: yes he did. Failed with the Rivian charger, worked with a Tesla charger but only when charging current in ID4 was reduced to 8 amps. At that charging speed they weren’t getting anywhere fast.

Rivan

First Name
Rivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Lexus RX350, Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Eng
Clubs

I think I found this Lucid as well at the light just today …

Rivian R1T R1S ID.4 Runs Out Of Juice! Almost Made It To A Charger.. DC093410-D4EB-47FB-B2FB-EA1FE1A7770E

Rivian R1T R1S ID.4 Runs Out Of Juice! Almost Made It To A Charger.. 31F59255-B8AB-4B5D-84E4-6B4EB3F20427

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Clubs

If Kyle could boil this down to an actual 60-90 second PSA for novice EV drivers then it could serve a good purpose. Like many out there, I’ve been conditioned by my 90s Corolla (and that Seinfeld episode where Kramer and Newman drive the mail truck to zero) to believe that empty is not actually empty and you still have 10s of miles to go after the orange light goes off on your dashboard. The fact is that this is not generally true for EV’s, especially in the cold. Furthermore, the consequences are greater as there is no widely available EV equivalent of a can of gas from a service truck…not yet anyway.

Also, I wish we could get at least 3kW out of the Rivian outlets.
Sponsored