Sponsored

ICE Alternatives for a cool off-road rig.

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

Maybe just buy a pair of these Toyota EV Cruiser in two years for less money than any Rivian :movember:

Rivian R1T R1S ICE Alternatives for a cool off-road rig. ToyCruiserEV.PNG
Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Are Land Rovers reliable? I've always associated them (in ignorance) with "British historical poor quality."
Uh, they are way more reliable than, er, Rivian.

Sorry, gotta convert the layups.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

556E5BFA-CAEA-4E73-8B12-678DA9BF0D8F.jpeg

Iā€™m keeping this old thing and buying some accessories. I bought it for less than a down payment on an R1S, and its cost to own each year are just 1-2 R1S payments.

Iā€™ll also be keeping my half-ton truck.
In 3 years time Iā€™ll see what the 2025 Lightning and the SUV segment looks like.
We have put our 2006 LR3 HSE through SO much heavy duty use that I fear Iā€™ve grown attached to it. Like, emotionally. Totally irrational, but it has saved us from ourselves (Extended Mode for the win!) and it has always gotten us home under its own power.

Weā€™re closing in on 232,000 miles. We were planning to keep it even after getting our R1S as a sort of practical classic. I put over $3,000 in bushings and brake work late last year. The bushings were just to improve ride quality and handling so to some itā€™d seem crazy at 230,000 miles. I didnā€™t regret spending it then, and Iā€™m happy to keep it in good running order for the foreseeable future.

I bet that Land Rover USA executives breathed a sigh of relief when they saw what Rivian did with pricing yesterday.
Rivian R1T R1S ICE Alternatives for a cool off-road rig. ABC955B7-97D7-4B0F-8A1A-7224844140A8

seventyfour

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A couple
I was about to sell my reservation and buy a big olā€™ Ram 2500 Power Wagon but who knows what a reservation is worth anymore!

PS - April/May R1T LG/FE/AT available!

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I've owned 3 Subies throughout my life (so far) and this one certainly catches my eye! I know that most all the "nice" models only offer a CVT tranny which is a real shame. But just look at this thing! You either love it or hate it, and I happen to love it. :p

Played around with the Configurator for a few minutes, selected nearly every practical option and a few impractical ones and still had trouble approaching HALF the cost of a Rivian. Definitely an apples & oranges difference between almost everything in comparison to a Rivian but all this contemplation is Rivian's fault for screwing us over yesterday.

Rivian R1T R1S ICE Alternatives for a cool off-road rig. SubieWild.PNG

Rivian R1T R1S ICE Alternatives for a cool off-road rig. SubieWildpricing.PNG

Sponsored

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I was about to sell my reservation and buy a big olā€™ Ram 2500 Power Wagon but who knows what a reservation is worth anymore!

PS - April/May R1T LG/FE/AT available!
Exactly squat!

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Are Land Rovers reliable? I've always associated them (in ignorance) with "British historical poor quality."
Ours has been. Purchased used from the local Land Rover dealer in 2015 with 109,000 miles on it. Now closing in on 232,000 miles after a lot of heavy duty (off road, rock crawl, tow, haul, and tractor) use. Comfortable and very good handling on the freeway driving to off-road adventure spots. Raise the suspension and select a Terrain Response mode then itā€™s comfortable and off-road capable. I lost count of the number of times weā€™ve surprised people off-road who never knew people actually took Land Rovers off pavementā€¦ outside of jumping the curb at Whole Foods.

The new Defenders are even more capable off-road than our old LR3.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

The LR3 is really in a class of its own for Land Rover. It was developed when Ford owned JLR, so they had access to serious R&D funding and Ford didnā€™t get in the way. I watch the resale market on these and see more north of 200k miles than any other 4x4, though that may be some confirmation bias.

Thats not to say there arenā€™t so lemons, but the ones that have been owned and maintained by enthusiasts have aged very well.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

The LR3 is really in a class of its own for Land Rover. It was developed when Ford owned JLR, so they had access to serious R&D funding and Ford didnā€™t get in the way. I watch the resale market on these and see more north of 200k miles than any other 4x4, though that may be some confirmation bias.

Thats not to say there arenā€™t so lemons, but the ones that have been owned and maintained by enthusiasts have aged very well.
I think the packaging on the LR3/LR4 is outstanding, too. I can sit comfortably in the 3rd row for 5+ hour trips with great views, too. Iā€™m 6ā€™ and 200 lbs so I feel safe saying the 3rd row is fine for actual adults. Access to the third row is easy, too. Not sure what they are thinking with the 3rd row for the new Discovery and Defender 110, but they both are okay for kids under 10 or so. Maybe. As long as they donā€™t want to see out much.

aAlpine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5, 4Runner
Just played around configuring a Land Rover Defender 110 and you can add a ton of options before you get up to Rivian pricing ?

Sponsored

Jayhawkeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Expedition, Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Software
Ram TRX and Ford Raptors are selling at 20k over MSRP here in KC, so itā€™s the same investment as the Rivian.

we are sticking with our reservation for now, but may end up with the Sequoia.

Last edited:

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I know this thread's purpose is "sunset" with RIvian's reversal on pricing-gate this week, but for me contemplating alternatives keeps spinning on. Dropped by a local Ford dealership yesterday that has two new Broncos on the lot - of course wanting outrageous mark-ups in the $15-20k range!

Had a good conversation with sales Mgr who convinced me to place order for one since that's how you get it at MSRP. Yes, I'm well aware that Ford has royally screwed-the-pooch on the Bronco launch and countless reservation holders have waited upwards of 2 years now in some cases. I'm not placing the order to get it asap. I just want another alternative in the pipeline or perhaps a change of pace 2-3 years down the road.

Heading there in a couple hours to handle the reservation. Not being suckered here (but perhaps am being 'used') since he said if I process it in person in the showroom they waive the $500 deposit. My guess is they want to pile up all the "customer" reservations they can knowing a good portion don't pan out - leaving them another Bronco to sell at whatever the dealership can get.

Still haven't decided whether to order a WildTrak, Everglades or Raptor edition. ?

OP
OP
Blueassassin

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

Placed a reservation on an AT4X today this seems like a good ICE alternative there's a lot of things i like about it obviously doesn't have 835 hp but front rear locked under truck cameras light bar and winch. Its also odd because ive never liked GM products but the current Tacoma is just so bad its not even on my radar.

https://www.gmc.com/future-vehicles/2023-canyon-at4x

Rivian R1T R1S ICE Alternatives for a cool off-road rig. 1660339830950

Rivian R1T R1S ICE Alternatives for a cool off-road rig. 1660339854958

Rivian R1T R1S ICE Alternatives for a cool off-road rig. 1660339808382

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

The design of new Canyon and Colorado is really nice. Agressive. Purposeful.
Good call on placing an order
Sponsored