Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T [RUS, PTC (upgraded), 20"] 2008 Ford E350
Occupation
third party service
Clubs

I think maybe you need an eye exam and a new set of glasses. If I couldn’t see the clock I’d go see an optometrist. Not an insult to you. Just thinking maybe you need an updated lens. My mother won’t get a new car cause she would need her reading glasses for the screens and driving glasses for the road.
Umm, did you listen to what your mother told you? Perhaps it is an age-related comprehension deficiency - when you get to be her age, you might be able to understand what she told you.
One focal length is needed for distant objects - those that are external to the car - other cars and signs, etc. A different focal length is needed for the screen in front of the driver. And then there's the clock on the far end of the center screen, which is at a different focal length.
There are also variable real-world lighting issues - external sun glare, sun glare on screens, sunglass wearing (I wear clip-on polarized sunglasses over my prescription glasses) - larger (and heavier) fonts would help to mitigate these variable lighting issues.
Rivian seems obsessed with keeping a huge amount of white space on the driver's screen... and with using much of that display for displaying shapes of cars that I can already clearly see (to the left, right, or to the front).
I want bigger fonts - especially for warning messages, and for the clock display, and for for the percentage of charge.
You do know that Tesla was recently required to issue a "recall" (OTA) because their warning messages were in too small a font. Rivian could get ahead of the curve, now, rather than waiting for NHTSA to get involved.
Sponsored

AltaTruck

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda RX8, R1T, Alta EXR (road) , Alta EXR (woods)
Occupation
Retired Science teacher
I have pushed for a clock on the driver's display as well. It is not so much the size of the font but the off-axis location. When you move your eyes the tendency is to migrate in that direction, the longer the look the more the movement. This is the idea behind heads up displays. At least put the clock where we can glance straight down , then back up to the road - where our eyes should be.