Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

I agree with one of the other posts in that El Cap gets very dirty with dust and winter road gunk. That said it’s the color we went with and have to say, we still like it.
Sponsored

OP
OP
MountainBikeDude

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

When in doubt go with the cheaper choice.
I asked my wife "White or Granite?" a few months ago and she refused to even entertain the idea of white vehicle. I said "ok 🤫🫡" and confirmed El cap.

Fast forward to 3 weeks ago, we're going over the options and that's when I let her know white was one of the free choices (old preorder perk Silver and white were free choices) anyway, she's quickly changed her tune to "White looks great!"

Typical

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I was hoping at the event last November in Vancouver that they'd have Compass Yellow #teamyellow but it was a no show so no wife convincing that day.
I have not seen any yellow up close. I saw a couple in the lot at the factory but they were from a distance.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Wow talk about a nail biter, this one might go to a run off.

If pinstripes are at all a concern then go with white, I doubt you would even see clear coat damage on a white truck, I think white trucks look great but really you can’t go wrong either way.

Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I voted for El Cap but I have to say @jjswan33 is right about how low maintenance white is. My Tacoma is white and I’ve never worried less about washing it, scratches, etc.

Rivan

First Name
Rivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Lexus RX350, Toyota Tundra
Occupation
Eng
Clubs

This form is full of people who are just afraid of their wives... Come on ..
My wife asked me to pick the color, I said No way.. So I picked the color, and she was only able to pick the truck and keep it for herself ... That's how you should stand up to yourself against these Bullies .... lol JK ... We have the RedCanyon ... but I see tons of them in my work parking structure , everytime I pass by one color I like it more than the rest ... but If I would had the choice, (since my wife wanted Red Canyon :) ) I would picked the Green ...

TexasBob

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I say if you are getting a Rivian get a unique Rivian color. We are all-in for compass yellow, but if that was out I would go RIvian Blue. Third choice would be Forest Green and followed by Canyon Red. Personally, I am sooooo tired of the gray-white-black-silver ultra-conservative colors everywhere. But I have recently learned I have another year to decide so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Zeus

First Name
Samuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord, VW id4
If I were in your shoes (and I was not too long ago), here's what I'll do:
1. Ask the wife what color she prefers.
2. Wait 2 days and ask her again what color she prefers.
3. Decide if you'll be happier driving the rivian most of the time or if she's the primary driver (careful here, I'm really asking you to choose between a happy wife and a happy you).
4. If the former, disregard her response from 1 and 2 above. If the latter, choose her response from number 2.

Seriously, it's hard to go wrong with any of the colors. Only tip I can provide is that the S looks better wearing brighter colors, while the T looks better wearing the more subdued colors. Just my personal thoughts.

BTW, shout out to Rivian for such an incredible job with the colors. I'm sure majority of reservation holders have switched colors several times. Kudos Rivian, kudos 👏

OP
OP
MountainBikeDude

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Not sure this is helpful 😂

Rivian R1T R1S I need community help on color choice🤔Update: El Cap for the win Screenshot_20230222_213330_Chrome

Sponsored

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

He's right you know. I mean Red Canyon is a great looking color that morphs from orange to red. Looks great with the black trim too (though we have Ocean Coast interior).

11E59F40-DA2B-40D0-B162-6BAA63FD54B8_1_105_c.jpeg
I agree red canyon. I am from your twin city Vancouver, WA. We can have twin trucks

Rivian R1T R1S I need community help on color choice🤔Update: El Cap for the win E17508F3-9763-42F0-A548-3F0B93D01687

OP
OP
MountainBikeDude

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

I agree red canyon. I am from your twin city Vancouver, WA. We can have twin trucks

E17508F3-9763-42F0-A548-3F0B93D01687.jpeg
My wife's from Alberta, so every car her family has ever owned is red. I'm not convinced. In saying that, Canyon red has orange undertones, if it had a bit more, I'd go for it.

tren01t

First Name
Lennert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1T, 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Occupation
Chemist
My question for the group is, which color should I go for, and why do you think it would be the better choice? Sorry teamyellow, my wife won't let me drive a taxi around Vancouver.

I've been firmly El Cap for ages, but have been leaning a little more to Glacier White as delivery day approaches. I feel GW accentuates the look and lines of the vehicle, but also allows the light bars blend in more so than the darker El Cap. Also potentially fair better with trail rash (fine scratches from branches etc on narrow trails)

El Cap on the other hand would look less dirty all the time, looks spectacular at night, wouldn't blind me driving on a bright day.

Shout out to the Vancouver Rivian team, which took a bit of extra time this evening to line up both GW Black Mountain interior on 20's and El Cap, same scheme. Both of which happened to be at their office, both of which the exact spec I'm looking for. I'd like to say it helped, but in the end left me on the fence again looking carefully at every white vehicle on the walk home.

Thoughts?
Like you, I was on the fence between both colors. Here's what helped me to decide.
1. Contrast of trim and body color and wheel choice. I am going with the 20AT's
2. Perception of size with darker colors versus lighter colors. Vehicles in darker colors imho look smaller than in lighter colors. When I did the first mile drive, they had my exact spec (see signature) and it was a lot larger than expected. I have seen the El Cap in the wild and it is a very nice color but more muted in contrast.
3. Biggest torture, being invited to the R1 shop. All colors and various trims represented. I considered GW, MB and EC. It was torture for sure; Midnight, also stunning would require more upkeep for cleaning. EC was very nice but my wife chimed in with anything that we may tow in the future, GW would match up nicely with a boat, trailer, etc.
4. GW, easer upkeep and hides scratches better if your are going to be serious about off roading.
5. Personal for me; if you are a Trekkie, then GW if you leaning towards TOS, reboot movies or if you are TNG, TNG movies, Discovery fan then the EC would be an awesome fit.
Hope this helps,
tren01t

OP
OP
MountainBikeDude

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Like you, I was on the fence between both colors. Here's what helped me to decide.
1. Contrast of trim and body color and wheel choice. I am going with the 20AT's
2. Perception of size with darker colors versus lighter colors. Vehicles in darker colors imho look smaller than in lighter colors. When I did the first mile drive, they had my exact spec (see signature) and it was a lot larger than expected. I have seen the El Cap in the wild and it is a very nice color but more muted in contrast.
3. Biggest torture, being invited to the R1 shop. All colors and various trims represented. I considered GW, MB and EC. It was torture for sure; Midnight, also stunning would require more upkeep for cleaning. EC was very nice but my wife chimed in with anything that we may tow in the future, GW would match up nicely with a boat, trailer, etc.
4. GW, easer upkeep and hides scratches better if your are going to be serious about off roading.
5. Personal for me; if you are a Trekkie, then GW if you leaning towards TOS, reboot movies or if you are TNG, TNG movies, Discovery fan then the EC would be an awesome fit.
Hope this helps,
tren01t
I agree, the contrast as well between the dark windows and the white body line bordering them is :cool:.

Took the thread to work and every coworker is on Team El Cap, or sorry "Cardassian Grey" so...

I've reached out to my guide, asking if they have a '23 GW BM Underbody shield 20" rims etc that's waiting for an owner, otherwise we'll just stick with El Cap as it's currently mid build at the factory.

We'll know by about 10am PST today which color is the winner!

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Pilot, 2019 Jetta
My question for the group is, which color should I go for, and why do you think it would be the better choice? Sorry teamyellow, my wife won't let me drive a taxi around Vancouver.

I've been firmly El Cap for ages, but have been leaning a little more to Glacier White as delivery day approaches. I feel GW accentuates the look and lines of the vehicle, but also allows the light bars blend in more so than the darker El Cap. Also potentially fair better with trail rash (fine scratches from branches etc on narrow trails)

El Cap on the other hand would look less dirty all the time, looks spectacular at night, wouldn't blind me driving on a bright day.

Shout out to the Vancouver Rivian team, which took a bit of extra time this evening to line up both GW Black Mountain interior on 20's and El Cap, same scheme. Both of which happened to be at their office, both of which the exact spec I'm looking for. I'd like to say it helped, but in the end left me on the fence again looking carefully at every white vehicle on the walk home.

Thoughts?
FWIW, I was Red Canyon for a long time, but when I saw it in real life, it was more orange than I like. I went with Glacier White and have loved it - even though I don't usually like white on cars. El Cap is a really nice color, but in my opinion is the most muted in real life. That may be a positive or a negative depending on what you want.
Sponsored