First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I don't mean to sound like a spoiled brat but this baby sized R1T is making me miss my '14 F-150 and it's archaic yet totally functional features and size. Anybody else having a hard time getting over their full size truck?

The 4.5 foot bed was killing me the other day moving things from garage to garage. I ended up bungying my pressure washer in the back seat. :CWL: Tried to load a SUP on the crossbars over the bed, not going to happen without the majority of it hanging precariously past the bed. Raining out and need to move stuff in the bed with the tonneu closed. Boxes too tall gotta put them in the back seat. Working at night and need a good bed light? Those lights on the rear of the cab are just brake lights, your only option is the mood lighting in the actual bed. Wanna throw a weedeater back there diagonal? Nope.

The inside is killin' me too Smalls. Can't load up the family and the dog unless the dog's head is resting on the center armrest. With a kid in a rear facing car seat behind me I can't put my seat where I want it (I'm only 5' 10"). My daughter on the other side is 4 and the passenger seat back is basically a perfect foot rest for her grimy little feet. The bright side is it's not a long reach if I want to hand her a snack, hell she's like RIGHT THERE! :CWL:

Don't get me wrong, the drive, fit and finish and performance are all top notch. Half of me loves it and half of me just wants a real truck again. I'm seriously considering a trade or cashing out to get a Lightning just due to the size. Apologies for the bitch fest but I had nowhere else to turn. :facepalm:
I'd say you've made valid points on all counts.

I assume you have an F-150 Lightning order in place. They called me to build mine. The R1T arrived first and I'll wait for the next gen F-150 or (more likely) the RAM REX.

No question the F-150 has more where it counts for hauling. But the dimensions are closer than they appear; aside from length (tailgate closed) the difference is the R1T bed walls are shorter. The cabin length is also similar to the F-150. Of course an inch makes a difference in cabin dimensions, but side-by-side, moving things like the dog hammock from the F-150 to the R1T and back, the F-150 doesn't have that much more total space. Ford has been making the F-150 for a while and mine is the latest 14th generation … they've gotten a few things right over the decades. : )

The only way Rivian could have made the R1T sell if it had the dimensions of an F-150 would be if it was an F-150 and I think they tried that partnership with Ford, but Ford quit. I'm guessing Ford regrets that hubris on many levels (not just the billions it cost them in selling out of that investment.) I think the next gen F-150 Lightning will be a great vehicle (this first gen is already great.) But I really like the dimensions of the R1T … it's big … no debate about it, it's a big vehicle. But I can drive it where I would not prefer to drive the F-150. And I drive the F-150 when I would not drive the R1T (road trips, hauling, towing) … I've had some impressive vehicles, but nothing compares to the F-150 for long road trips. BlueCruise is a game-changer. The cabin comfort and luxury, the quiet, the comfortable seats, the space to bring everything and then decide to bring other stuff just in case. I don't think the R1T was ever intended to match the F-150.

I'm fine with the length x width of the R1T bed* but it's the shallow bed depth that creates practical problems, especially under the infamous power tonneau … it's too low for many very ordinary things I carry in the back of my '21 F-150 6 ½' bed (with power tonneau closed) and have room on top for flat items like folding carts, plywood, etc.)

* The small bed problem could have been solved, and it almost was solved. I think Rivian stopped R&D – they didn't finish, they just made the (correct) decision to make a stop. This was probably the decision that saved Rivian from being another "not quite really selling EV pickups just yet" startup in the automotive clustertruck that 2022 became.

Rivian originally offered a "180º folding tailgate" … this would have solved the problem created by the gooseneck hinges that allow the tailgate to create a long bed when open. But they quit that feature (like many other features along the fast track to bringing their product to market.)

The second thing "Rivian really needs to …" do is partner with the aftermarket manufacturers. A simple bed extender would make a huge difference. A really well-designed bed extender could be a game changer. The racks are fun and a bit silly (to deal with the different width of bed and roof mount) but a better solution would have been to go aftermarket. Have one, strong single-spar rack for the bed and another for the roof, then have a height truss for mounting the racks over the bed at the same height as the racks mounted on the cabin roof. The trusses would clip into the bed using the same latch mechanism with more than one location (because the rearward truss would need a triangulated foot position for strength to stop load moving during acceleration and braking.) Then have a carrier system to load all those pieces out of the way in all three alternatives (frunk, tunnel and the front wall or side walls of the bed.) Of course, once you have a few aftermarket "up-fitters" interested in your platform, you get the bed cap, the winch, the off-road lighting, the extra range battery that adds 50kWh in the front of the bed or as a sled that goes into the tunnel with a simple "trickle down" connector to augment the main traction battery, etc. I think all these things could have come out of the partnership with Ford. Look at how much Ford had ready for the Bronco from day one. The success of these vehicles comes from enthusiast owners who can add accessories and equipment to make their vehicle perform the desired task. If the R1T doesn't perform as a versatile utility vehicle, it becomes a niche, luxury EV … that's a much more competitive and short-lived segment. If I was at Rivian, I'd want the R1 to have the long life of the Jeep, Land Rover, Land Cruiser, Bronco.

I wonder how form won out over function in these ways on the R1T. Would it have looked just unsaleable if the bed walls were 3 inches deeper, or sink the spare and have it exposed from underneath instead of in a smuggler's locker?
Sponsored

Last edited:

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Not a Rivian issue, a mid-size truck issue for this particular owner's needs. Do your research before buying any car and make sure it works for your needs and preferences.

OP
OP

md11phlyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T White/Quad/Adv 22s, Cessna 310Q
In my case the R1T is the perfect true work truck. I typically haul large loads such as gravel, sand or lumber and for these loads I use my 10,000 hydraulic trailer. Such loads don’t fit in the bed of any pickup as well as a heavy duty trailer. With 4 independent drive wheels the R1T handles these loads at construction sites better than my Ram 1500 ever did.

Bed size is not as important to me as payload and tow capacity.

704AB640-1979-4A9C-9502-E0B2C34F0977.jpeg
Nice! Pulls the boat great here. Have you noticed any oversteer from the sway control when towing heavy? I love the torque but feel like the sway dampening logic could be better.

OP
OP

md11phlyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'd say you've made valid points on all counts.

I assume you have an F-150 Lightning order in place. They called me to build mine. The R1T arrived first and I'll wait for the next gen F-150 or (more likely) the RAM REX.

No question the F-150 has more where it counts for hauling. But the dimensions are closer than they appear; aside from length (tailgate closed) the difference is the R1T bed walls are shorter. The cabin length is also similar to the F-150. Of course an inch makes a difference in cabin dimensions, but side-by-side, moving things like the dog hammock from the F-150 to the R1T and back, the F-150 doesn't have that much more total space. For has been making the F-150 for a while and mine is the latest 14th generation … they've gotten a few things right over the decades. : )

The only way Rivian could have made the R1T sell if it had the dimensions of an F-150 would be if it was an F-150 and I think they tried that partnership with Ford, but Ford quit. I'm guessing Ford regrets that hubris on many levels (not just the billions it cost them in selling out of that investment.) I think the next gen F-150 Lightning will be a great vehicle (this first gen is already great.) But I really like the dimensions of the R1T … it's big … no debate about it, it's a big vehicle. But I can drive it where I would not prefer to drive the F-150. And I drive the F-150 when I would not drive the R1T (road trips, hauling, towing) … I've had some impressive vehicles, but nothing compares to the F-150 for long road trips. BlueCruise is a game-changer. The cabin comfort and luxury, the quiet and comfortable, the space to bring everything and then decide to bring other stuff just in case. I don't think the R1T was ever intended to match the F-150.

I'm fine with the length x width of the R1T bed* but it's the shallow bed depth that creates practical problems, especially under the infamous power tonneau … it's too low for many very ordinary things I carry in the back of my '21 F-150 6 ½' bed (with power tonneau closed) and have room on top for flat items like folding carts, plywood, etc.)

* The small bed problem could have been solved, and it almost was solved. I think Rivian stopped R&D – they didn't finish, they just made the (correct) decision to make a stop. This was probably the decision that saved Rivian from being another "not quite really selling EV pickups just yet" startup in the automotive clustertruck that 2022 became.

Rivian originally offered a "180º folding tailgate" … this would have solved the problem created by the gooseneck hinges that allow the tailgate to create a long bed when open. But they quit that feature (like many other features along the fast track to bringing their product to market.)

The second thing "Rivian really needs to …" do is partner with the aftermarket manufacturers. A simple bed extender would make a huge difference. A really well-designed bed extender could be a game changer. The racks are fun and a bit silly (to deal with the different width of bed and roof mount) but a better solution would have been to go aftermarket. Have one, strong single-spar rack for the bed and another for the roof, then have a height truss for mounting the racks over the bed at the same height at the bed. The trusses would clip into the bed using the same latch mechanism with more than one location (because the rearward truss would need a triangulated foot position.) Then have a carrier system to load all those pieces out of the way in all three alternatives (frunk, tunnel and the front wall or side walls of the bed.) Of course, once you have a few aftermarket "upfitters" interested in your platform, you get the bed cap, the winch, the off-road lighting, the extra range battery that adds 50kW in the front of the bed or as a sled that goes into the tunnel with a simple "trick down" connector to augment the main traction battery, etc. I think all these things could have come out of the partnership with Ford. Look at how much Ford had ready for the Bronco from day one. The success of these vehicles comes from enthusiast owners who can add accessories and equipment to make their vehicle perform the desired task. If the R1T doesn't perform as a versatile utility vehicle, it becomes a niche, luxury EV … that's a much more competitive and short-lived segment. If I was at Rivian, I'd want the R1 to have the long life of the Jeep, Land Rover, Land Cruiser, Bronco.

I wonder how form won out over function in these ways on the R1T. Would it have looked just unsaleable if the bed walls were 3 inches deeper, or sink the spare and have it exposed from underneath instead of in a smuggler's locker?
POST OF THE THREAD! Exactly how I feel, especially about bed depth. I also love driving the R1T about town where it excels over the full size. Great input.

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
Have you noticed any oversteer from the sway control when towing heavy? I love the torque but feel like the sway dampening logic could be better.
I have not, but then trailer sway can be mitigated by loading the trailer properly. As several YouTube videos have demonstrated, overloading the rear of the trailer can cause even minor sway to quickly get out of control.

Sponsored

OP
OP

md11phlyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Not a Rivian issue, a mid-size truck issue for this particular owner's needs. Do your research before buying any car and make sure it works for your needs and preferences.
I feel like the thread title alone indicates I knew It’s not a full size. 😂 Did plenty of research, just highlighting that the daily use really exposes the differences.

the long way downunder

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Occupation
WFH
I have not, but then trailer sway can be mitigated by loading the trailer properly. As several YouTube videos have demonstrated, overloading the rear of the trailer can cause even minor sway to quickly get out of control.
loading for correct weight and balance is mandatory, but sway can be crosswind, buffeting from on-coming traffic, road camber, road surface, even changing lanes across truck ruts … I've found all the ways … : )

Brewbud

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 20 Cummins, 05 Jeep LJR, 22 Range Rover Sport
I kept my 2020 Cummins. It seldom gets driven now though. The R1T size doesn't bother me.

AxelR

First Name
Axel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Tesla Model 3 Performance, 23 Rivian R1S
Clubs

One thing that’s unfortunate about the R1T is that it’s pretty wide outside but the cabin is pretty narrow (in comparison to a full size truck). It gives it nice proportions when seen from above but it feels like wasted space.
I can’t see replacing our Raptor with it and that’s why we’re getting the R1S. We don’t haul much but it will be more livable with our kid (only one and no pets but got spoiled by the full size truck life).

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Y, Ford F-350 and lots more…
Occupation
Software Developer
Yeah... My friend took delivery of his R1T several months back and I've spent a lot of time with it. As much as I love it, the F-150 Lightning is a better fit for me. I'm still holding my R1T max pack reservation for now to see how things go, but I've bought a Lightning and should have it here shortly -- dealer mannequin/demo and it's currently in jail so to speak. Another story for another thread.

But if Rivian can deliver an R2 platform with a full size truck and 450-500 miles with the same or more innovation and the quality level of the R1T, I'll dump the Lightning in a flash.

Deacon

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I don't mean to sound like a spoiled brat but this baby sized R1T is making me miss my '14 F-150 and it's archaic yet totally functional features and size. Anybody else having a hard time getting over their full size truck?

The 4.5 foot bed was killing me the other day moving things from garage to garage. I ended up bungying my pressure washer in the back seat. :CWL: Tried to load a SUP on the crossbars over the bed, not going to happen without the majority of it hanging precariously past the bed. Raining out and need to move stuff in the bed with the tonneu closed. Boxes too tall gotta put them in the back seat. Working at night and need a good bed light? Those lights on the rear of the cab are just brake lights, your only option is the mood lighting in the actual bed. Wanna throw a weedeater back there diagonal? Nope.

The inside is killin' me too Smalls. Can't load up the family and the dog unless the dog's head is resting on the center armrest. With a kid in a rear facing car seat behind me I can't put my seat where I want it (I'm only 5' 10"). My daughter on the other side is 4 and the passenger seat back is basically a perfect foot rest for her grimy little feet. The bright side is it's not a long reach if I want to hand her a snack, hell she's like RIGHT THERE! :CWL:

Don't get me wrong, the drive, fit and finish and performance are all top notch. Half of me loves it and half of me just wants a real truck again. I'm seriously considering a trade or cashing out to get a Lightning just due to the size. Apologies for the bitch fest but I had nowhere else to turn. :facepalm:
I hear you. I love my R1T. After getting my R1T I sold my 2005 Silverado - didn't need 2 trucks. Then I unexpectedly had to pull a trailer 400 miles last week (not something I normally do) and that was doable but a pain in the butt with the R1T (range cut in half). Part of me wishes I had got an R1S, sold my wife's Suburu, and kept the Silverado for the odd jobs around town. Don't get me wrong - the R1T is an awesome vehicle and I love it; but sometimes you just need an "old truck".

OP
OP

md11phlyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I hear you. I love my R1T. After getting my R1T I sold my 2005 Silverado - didn't need 2 trucks. Then I unexpectedly had to pull a trailer 400 miles last week (not something I normally do) and that was doable but a pain in the butt with the R1T (range cut in half). Part of me wishes I had got an R1S, sold my wife's Suburu, and kept the Silverado for the odd jobs around town. Don't get me wrong - the R1T is an awesome vehicle and I love it; but sometimes you just need an "old truck".
If I could go back in time I’d sell my wife’s Volvo and keep the F-150, solely for road trips and long tows like you mentioned. 👍

RtOnelove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rt1, Ford bronco
Couldnt agree more. After driving the Lightning, just so much more room in the interior especially with car seats. And my Lightning was delivered on Tuesday with a week to decide. It's a difficult position for someone that is terrible at making decisions to be in.
Upsides and downsides I guess. The Lightning has more space obviously, both in the cab and in the bed. It seats four adults comfortably, or if you have car seats, it leaves plenty of space for them, you can even squeeze an adult in between those two car seats usually.

But then it uses quite a bit more energy per mile, is harder to park in a busy city, won't fit in many older garages, etc.

Just comes down to what your needs are.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

I have an 8 and 10 year old plus a 100 pound dog. They fit in my old '18 F150 just fine. But now I'm thinking I may have to re-think this preorder.
I was sawing up a load of scrap lumber last night and tossing it in the bed of "ye olde work truck" to take to the dump. After seeing a few of these threads about how banged up the Rivian bed gets just from toolboxes sliding around, etc., has me re-thinking my preorder.

Totally different reasons, but I can relate to your post. 😢
Sponsored