I miss having a full size truck

OP
OP

md11phlyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T White/Quad/Adv 22s, Cessna 310Q
That’s why you just keep both of them. I haven’t been able to part with either and I always miss the one I’m not driving.

I’m continually surprised by people who don’t think the R1T is a capable work truck. It’s a phenomenal work truck. The gear tunnel holds ramps, short pipes, tool bags perfectly. The tie downs are far better and reachable than my Lightning. The adjustable suspension makes loading a breeze. I prefer loading the R1T over loading my Lightning.

Bottom line, If I’m alone, if I’m transporting stuff, moving big things, I take the R1T and leave the Lightning home. If im transporting my family - car seat aged, I take the Lightning.
Solid post. I was running around to work on some properties the other day and was stoked to have multiple tool boxes, drills, sawzall, levels, buckets of screws, socket sets ALL in the gear tunnel with room to spare. The bed length is still annoying but I knew that coming in. Very surprised at the lack of a dedicated bed light ABOVE the bed.

I think I need a F-150L with a gear tunnel, but then there goes that bed length and cabin size... ;)
Sponsored

OP
OP

md11phlyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You're kidding right?

The post March pricing is higher but by the time you pay for the sales tax and registration, AND supplies of 2ndary market of R1Ts out there, its nowhere near $25K.

So what you are saying is that you knew it was bit small and not sure if it would work but flipping. was attractive enough to go through with it....

That's fine. The original post makes it sounds like it was a shock to you that R1T is smaller than F150 and discovered it after the fact.
No sales tax, registered in AK, I'd say it's very near $25k the day I picked it up but I failed Accounting in college.

I knew the truck was smaller, shit I've seen every comparison video on the internet, but that size difference doesn't get exploited until daily use. It's all good, I just miss the old family truckster.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

The gear tunnel holds ramps, short pipes, tool bags perfectly. The tie downs are far better and reachable than my Lightning.
Just to be devil's advocate, the gear tunnel would be a lot more useful for holding tools if they hadn't "indefinitely delayed" the gear tunnel shuttle. And didn't most of the tie downs get eliminated on more recent VIN's? 🤷

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Just to be devil's advocate, the gear tunnel would be a lot more useful for holding tools if they hadn't "indefinitely delayed" the gear tunnel shuttle. And didn't most of the tie downs get eliminated on more recent VIN's? 🤷
The gear shuttle would help quite a bit, but I don’t know I would find it $1500 helpful.

As for the tie downs, that can’t be right. What’s the point of that slick tailgate extension if you can’t secure the load?!?

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
So glad Rivian didn't make this a full size truck. The best thing about it is the size. So much better to drive in traffic and park in crowded lots. still fits more than anything I need.

Can't speak to the children issue as I don't want any of those in my car, but I can fit plenty of dogs!

Sponsored

RBR1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S preorder holder; '14 JGC,'20 Subaru Crosstrek
I don't mean to sound like a spoiled brat but this baby sized R1T is making me miss my '14 F-150 and it's
*content stopped here for brevity and whining*

Sounds like you didn't want a truck at all. You wanted a cargo van. Rivian makes those too.....

OP
OP

md11phlyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for your contribution! Nah, I just talked myself into thinking it’s more of a truck than it is. Daily use proved otherwise. Have a great day!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Except a F-150L could be had for cheaper and be just about the same in terms of efficiency. You jus t have to accept the fact that you’d be a grown man feeling like a 5 year old when climbing into the bed. That part I do not miss. I truly do not understand why most trucks nowadays need the bed to be at 642 feet off the ground.
My Hummer's inner tailgate stopped working before this photo, but when it was working, it was slightly lower than the Rivian's tailgate.

Rivian R1T R1S I miss having a full size truck PXL_20220328_230025441

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
My Hummer's inner tailgate stopped working before this photo, but when it was working, it was slightly lower than the Rivian's tailgate.

PXL_20220328_230025441.jpg
isn’t that the piece that acts like a step? If so, it would help ingress but things still have to be lifted up into the bed.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

isn’t that the piece that acts like a step? If so, it would help ingress but things still have to be lifted up into the bed.
Yes and yes.

Sponsored

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
The R1T is perfect me as I find the F150 just too large to cuddle

rhumbliner

First Name
thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T & Model X
Occupation
Retired
I'm continually surprised by how many people think the R1T is a true substitute for a full size truck.
In my case the R1T is the perfect true work truck. I typically haul large loads such as gravel, sand or lumber and for these loads I use my 10,000 hydraulic trailer. Such loads don’t fit in the bed of any pickup as well as a heavy duty trailer. With 4 independent drive wheels the R1T handles these loads at construction sites better than my Ram 1500 ever did.

Bed size is not as important to me as payload and tow capacity.

Rivian R1T R1S I miss having a full size truck 704AB640-1979-4A9C-9502-E0B2C34F0977

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Smart Ass
The R1T is perfect me as I find the F150 just too large to cuddle
My wife doesn’t like it when I try to cuddle with the truck, regardless of whether it’s the Lightning or R1T.

Maybe they’re both too large. I’ll try a Maverick and see how it goes.

EBEG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2016 Pilot, 2019 Jetta
That’s why you just keep both of them. I haven’t been able to part with either and I always miss the one I’m not driving.

I’m continually surprised by people who don’t think the R1T is a capable work truck. It’s a phenomenal work truck. The gear tunnel holds ramps, short pipes, tool bags perfectly. The tie downs are far better and reachable than my Lightning. The adjustable suspension makes loading a breeze. I prefer loading the R1T over loading my Lightning.

Bottom line, If I’m alone, if I’m transporting stuff, moving big things, I take the R1T and leave the Lightning home. If im transporting my family - car seat aged, I take the Lightning.
I've actually hauled more in my R1T than I expected. I agree that the lowest suspension setting is great for loading a heavy item.

I think the R1T was designed for glamping (Stay adventurous! Did you know we want to make a camp kitchen? Have you checked out our outrageously pricy camping accessories?) and general suburban work while fitting in most garages (my primary use). As a bonus, it has fantastic acceleration, can tow a boat or camping trailer and boasts above-average off-road ability. I just think an R1T work truck is like an off label use for a medication - it might do the job effectively, but it wasn't part of the design.

Olsonsolar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Volt - R1T on preorder
Occupation
enjoying life
I don't mean to sound like a spoiled brat but this baby sized R1T is making me miss my '14 F-150 and it's archaic yet totally functional features and size. Anybody else having a hard time getting over their full size truck?

The 4.5 foot bed was killing me the other day moving things from garage to garage. I ended up bungying my pressure washer in the back seat. :CWL: Tried to load a SUP on the crossbars over the bed, not going to happen without the majority of it hanging precariously past the bed. Raining out and need to move stuff in the bed with the tonneu closed. Boxes too tall gotta put them in the back seat. Working at night and need a good bed light? Those lights on the rear of the cab are just brake lights, your only option is the mood lighting in the actual bed. Wanna throw a weedeater back there diagonal? Nope.

The inside is killin' me too Smalls. Can't load up the family and the dog unless the dog's head is resting on the center armrest. With a kid in a rear facing car seat behind me I can't put my seat where I want it (I'm only 5' 10"). My daughter on the other side is 4 and the passenger seat back is basically a perfect foot rest for her grimy little feet. The bright side is it's not a long reach if I want to hand her a snack, hell she's like RIGHT THERE! :CWL:

Don't get me wrong, the drive, fit and finish and performance are all top notch. Half of me loves it and half of me just wants a real truck again. I'm seriously considering a trade or cashing out to get a Lightning just due to the size. Apologies for the bitch fest but I had nowhere else to turn. :facepalm:
Did you not know the size of R1T before purchase?
Sponsored