Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

So in closing my gear tunnel on the top of the door I believe it has started to crease my panel. I would suggest closing it by pushing on it more than a few inches from the top of the door and avoid pushing the door near the top edge

you can now see a line when at a high reflective angle. I think my picture shows it well. It is not noticeable when viewed straight on.

Rivian R1T R1S I may be closing my Gear Tunnel incorrectly 22094296-2966-4315-AE6D-3A95F0BA4693
Sponsored

Last edited:

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I pointed this out to service and they agree, the door will show a crease over time. I guess thin metal and something on the other side are to blame.

jphillips97

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
So in closing my gear tunnel on the top of the door I believe it has started to crease my panel. I would suggest closing it by pushing on it from a few inches from the top of the door and avoid the top few inches for pushing in.

you can now see a line when at a high reflective angle. I think my picture shows it well. It is not noticeable when viewed straight on.

22094296-2966-4315-AE6D-3A95F0BA4693.jpeg
So let me see if I got this right.... You would avoid pushing on the top few inches but instead you recommend pushing on the top few inches?

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

This has been discussed on reddit before.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
So let me see if I got this right.... You would avoid pushing on the top few inches but instead you recommend pushing on the top few inches?
I’ll let him correct me if I am wrong but sounds like he is saying not to close from the top edge but go down a few inches.

Sponsored

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Am I the only person who just slams it closed like all the other doors?

I picture yall going:

Rivian R1T R1S I may be closing my Gear Tunnel incorrectly tom-hanks-nope

OP
OP
W1SE

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

I’ll let him correct me if I am wrong but sounds like he is saying not to close from the top edge but go down a few inches.
Thank you. That’s exactly it. I edited my post to be more clear. Thank you

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I have the same crease. Service Center removed the door and sent it somewhere for painless dent removal.

bael

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, X5
Clubs

I picture yall going:

tom-hanks-nope.gif
I grab it and fling it upwards so the momentum makes it catch in the latch. Never felt I was doing it wrong

Sponsored

madgrey

First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2016 Miata, 2015 Viper
Occupation
Hardware Design Verification
I try to avoid touching painted surfaces when I close any vehicle door, hood, or trunk, especially when covered with dirt. For the gear tunnel, I hook my finger in the latch loop to whip it closed.

jemkewl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T

I picture yall going:

tom-hanks-nope.gif
Haha

The guide told me to shut it via momentum and not push it closed - don't keep my hand on the door to engage the latch.

The door makes a unique sound when I shut it with momentum that I enjoy. Not sure it can be slammed that hard based on the latch design, but I have no interest in finding out - a good and healthy upward movement to provide enough force has worked well for me.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I try to avoid touching painted surfaces when I close any vehicle door, hood, or trunk, especially when covered with dirt. For the gear tunnel, I hook my finger in the latch loop to whip it closed.
Gear tunnel doors come with PPF from the factory. You're not touching the paint, anyway.

OP
OP
W1SE

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

Haha

The guide told me to shut it via momentum and not push it closed - don't keep my hand on the door to engage the latch.

The door makes a unique sound when I shut it with momentum that I enjoy. Not sure it can be slammed that hard based on the latch design, but I have no interest in finding out - a good and healthy upward movement to provide enough force has worked well for me.
I have switched to that and you are right. It does sound good. It’s like a good hard-padded latching feel/noise. Yes, for those that don’t do it that way yet, it is worth the conversion.

connoisseurr

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 MYP
Occupation
I encrypt PDFs for Boomers
Clubs

Haha

Exactly this. Throw it closed. No risk of creasing.
Sponsored