Sponsored

I made a RAN Map

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
@SeaGeo thanks for the write up. I had already installed QGIS, I’m at least last that step. My wife will be away most of tomorrow, so this gives me a good project while she’s gone!
Sponsored

cwinters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pacifica Hybrid, R1S LE
And you people call yourselves geographers...

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grab a screenshot of the RAN map area of interest. If anyone can figure out how to pull out the full map for the US in a higher res from Mapbox, that'd be a lot quicker. For now I just zoomed in as far as I could (basically the PNW) and screenshotted it.
It looks like it _might_ be possible with some scripts to grab a full US map from Mapbox, possibly even higher res or at a higher zoom level, but I'm not sure. That's a project too far for me today. :)

In the meantime, I was able to do a relatively simple grab of the 4 corners of the US by just screen capping the 4 quadrants of the US with my MacBook displayed to my 4k monitor. It's zoomed in as far as the Rivian page allows. A quick photoshop "panorama" stitch later, and I have a single TIFF with the lower 48 plus the parts of Canada with RAN points. I grabbed Alaska on a separate map that I can fiddle with later if anybody cares.

It is, unfortunately, too big to attach in this forum, even when ZIP'd --just under 25MB ZIP or 58MB uncompressed TIFF. If anybody is interested in it, you can PM me with your email address, and I will email it to you. I will get working on georeferencing it as well, and can email that if I have success with my first attempt at doing that in QGIS!

Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
OK, georeferenced TIF of the entire RAN map except Alaska is done. Pulled it up in Google Earth Pro and got a warning. It's too big, so Earth wants to either scale it or create a SuperLayer. Everything seems to line up perfectly either way, so I'm calling it a success!

Unfortunately the file is too large to post here, as expected. So again, anybody who wants it is welcome to PM me and I will happily email it to them. I'm also trying to see if there's a way for me to load it onto Google Earth or Maps and share that with a URL. That would be the ideal, but I'm not sure it's likely.

EDIT: I'm also happy to do small images of specific areas if anybody wants. Just let me know what area you want. For example, here's the NE US and Canada.
Rivian R1T R1S I made a RAN Map Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 3.03.50 PM

Last edited:

KeithPleas

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus GX, Porsche Boxster
Don't forget EA has a north bend spot at the outlets.
Ah - fair enough. I was only looking at RAN because, well, this is my first EV and I figured that I'd want to charge up with like equally thoughtful people. ;)

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
With lots of assistance from SeaGeo, I have something in the works that I think people will like. It's different enough from the idea in this thread -- overlaying an image of the RAN map onto a more detailed map -- that I think I will do a new thread, but . I may also have a solicitation for some crowdsourcing on part of it. Stay tuned! :)

One thing that just hit me as I was working on this project: The RAN map that is currently on their website appears to have ~620 locations. The existing EA network has 634, according to NREL data. EA plans to get up to well over 800 locations eventually, but I think the comparison with RAN's ambition for the next 2 1/2 years with the current state of EA is really telling. Rivan is hoping to be really aggressive!
Sponsored