Sponsored

I installed an EV charging cable pass through -- cable hatch in house exterior siding

ByzRiv

First Name
Byz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T, 2023 R1S, 2015 991GTS
Occupation
Healthcare
My R1T will end up being parked outside almost exclusively. So when it came time to install the charger, my idea was to just have it inside and run the cable under the garage door, rather than installed permanently outside.

After a few sessions of charging and seeing how it was pinching the cable, it got me researching options to prevent cable pinch. I then came across someone who used a RV cable hatch Halotronics RV cable hatch and drilled thru his exterior siding.

I was afraid given the size of the hatch that I would split my cedar siding, but I bought a good Milwaukee hole saw and took my time. The cable hatch fit nicely into the hole--I used some foam to make a water tight gasket seal (or could have used some caulking). I was careful to file down the interior plastic ridges I had cut to make room for the EV charging head.

Passing through to the interior drywall, I then cutout a similar sized hole and finished off the inside with a 4" toilet flange.

Easy peasy!

Rivian R1T R1S I installed an EV charging cable pass through -- cable hatch in house exterior siding 20230319_172631
Rivian R1T R1S I installed an EV charging cable pass through -- cable hatch in house exterior siding 20230319_172639
Rivian R1T R1S I installed an EV charging cable pass through -- cable hatch in house exterior siding 20230319_172715
Sponsored