jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T

No surprise Utahn's not being able to understand others point of view...
What the hell is that supposed to mean? By the way, I have a place in San Diego, have lived in Mendo/Sonoma, and Douglas County, CO. I get plenty of people's points of view (and, shockingly as it may seem, I'm not Mormon, as I'm guessing you're assuming - I'm about as far from as possible). By the way, Salt Lake County has a Mormon minority population, and Salt Lake City proper is vastly non-Mormon (19% identify as conservative).

If you want to have a Rivian with 22" Sport Wheels in LA, more power to you!
Sponsored

Quattro Powers

First Name
QP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I havenā€™t seen any interiors in person. The green looks good in photos. I originally wanted OC.

I just hope that all of us will be pleased with our Rivians no matter where we reside. :angel:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Smoking tire did a great video on how capable the vehicle is with 22's. Of course, mud and water may not be so great.

No surprise Utahn's not being able to understand others point of view...
Tire rack has many reviews on the same 22' tires being great in snow on other applications... However, of course the 20's will perform better if you drive in heavy snow often. For southern california "snow", I'll be plenty fine with the 21's...
The 22's on my truck have been great for all the light two-track type off-roading that's most common in my area. We don't have a lot of sharp rocks and the sandy stuff tends to be short sections. I haven't taken the truck to the dunes yet, but it's on my list of places to go. The biggest disadvantage is not being able to lower the pressure as much. I'm getting dedicated 20" wheels for winter time, as I've always planned to and have done for all of my other vehicles. Always go one or two sizes smaller for a taller sidewall since it's not always obvious when there could be frozen ice blocks that fell off trucks in deep snow. I've got 20s on my Polestar 2 for summer and 18s for winter.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 22's on my truck have been great for all the light two-track type off-roading that's most common in my area. We don't have a lot of sharp rocks and the sandy stuff tends to be short sections. I haven't taken the truck to the dunes yet, but it's on my list of places to go. The biggest disadvantage is not being able to lower the pressure as much. I'm getting dedicated 20" wheels for winter time, as I've always planned to and have done for all of my other vehicles. Always go one or two sizes smaller for a taller sidewall since it's not always obvious when there could be frozen ice blocks that fell off trucks in deep snow. I've got 20s on my Polestar 2 for summer and 18s for winter.
Nice! Since I'm not up to speed on what the situation is with aftermarket wheels on Rivians, I don't know what is possible. Does a 22" plus a 20" combo have to be proprietary Rivian rims? I would assume it would with all of the sensors, mount configuration, etc. I don't see it being all that easy to get an additional set from Rivian, currently. If it is, then I would be open to buying an available vehicle now (with the 22"s) and buying a separate 20" set as per my OP.

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Alright, Mario Andretti, settle down. You drive a Volvo right now, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.
I don't think Mrs. ChampagneUnicorn will appreciate you trying to race anyone in town when you get your R1S.

My current EV drives circles around any Rivian, but I will not be "blowing" anyone off the line in my current car, nor when I get my R1T.

The beauty of owning an EV is knowing that you have power in bushels if you need it, not endangering anyone while you are in your weekend warrior play world.
Just popped in to say that I absolutely plan on driving the crap out of my Rivian even taking it to the drag strip. If want to get a sports car and drive it like a grandma thatā€™s your business but that isnā€™t the only way people drive them and itā€™s not indicative of a ā€œrealā€ driver either.

There are safe times to stomp on a sports car without putting anyone else at risk, and I didnā€™t realize we all shipped out to safety camp this morning. I donā€™t see why you need to be all up in your feelings over someone elseā€™s ideas of what they need to do with their car.

That was an overreaction and unnecessary.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just popped in to say that I absolutely plan on driving the crap out of my Rivian even taking it to the drag strip. If want to get a sports car and drive it like a grandma thatā€™s your business but that isnā€™t the only way people drive them and itā€™s not indicative of a ā€œrealā€ driver either.

There are safe times to stomp on a sports car without putting anyone else at risk, and I didnā€™t realize we all shipped out to safety camp this morning. I donā€™t see why you need to be all up in your feelings over someone elseā€™s ideas of what they need to do with their car.

That was an overreaction and unnecessary.
Agreed. I stomp the living shit out of my S6 (APR Stage 1) when it's safe. Blew away an M6 a while back. Not an ego thing, just a fun thing to do when there's an open stretch. I'll be taking the Rivian to the Utah Motorsports Campus shortly after delivery (whenever the hell that is).

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Can someone please explain whyTF the Forest Edge color is $2k more than the others??

shumdit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 and countingā€¦.
Clubs

Can someone please explain whyTF the Forest Edge color is $2k more than the others??
Because they can is the best answer. Same with the paint colors and wheel options. There is no appreciable cost difference on the different wheel finishes, interior colors or paint options but Rivian could potentially be getting an extra $6000-8000 profit if a buyer wants a certain combo.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Because Rivianā€˜s seat vendor needs naturally organic materials from corn stalks, pees, green beans and asparagus.

Seriously though itā€™s because they can charge $2k and some buyers will choose it. For every 100 buyers who chose an FE interior itā€™s an extra $200k in Rivianā€™s coffer.

If it was a no charge color option I would order FE in a heartbeat.

Last edited: