Sponsored

I have access to the shop now, but I don't like any of the configurations

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It’s funny, I would have thought puke green would be closer to pistachio in terms of shade.
Honestly, it looks nice. It just wasn’t worth $2,000 for me.
Sponsored

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
....I don't like any of the configurations. I will be checking them frequently as there are more and different ones today than there were last night. The thing I don't understand is how many people ordered the 22" Road Tire package and the puke green interior. City Slickers, I guess. Pretty confounding. There are several I would go ahead and buy right now if they had black interior and all terrain 20" rims.
The green interior looked pretty good in the configuration, with the best wood option. But I really didn’t like it in person. To each their own

As for the city slickers. What do you define as off road? 80% of the roads in my town are unpaved. On a 5 mile drive to drop my kids off at school, less than 1 mile of that is on a maintained road. If you’re on the road and a car is coming the other way it’s a simple rule. The larger car pulls up on the bank and/or into the field so the other can pass.

If it rains, we get flash floods and since the roads aren’t maintained, we have to go through these if we want to get home. It’s not much, maybe 12” or so of water usually. Quite frankly it doesn’t look much different than some of the trails (non rock) videos I’ve seen

I don’t need 20” wheels with knobby tires. I’m not climbing rocks and I know not to drive through a muddy field. If I do, I’m not doing it for fun so I know to look for the most solid and direct path to get past my obstacle.

If I can do that in a Tesla Model X, 8” of ground clearance and 22” wheels and 3.5” of sidewall. Why wouldn’t I be able to do that in a Rivian on 22” wheels and 5.5” of sidewall in the same tire?

manitou202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mercedes EQS SUV
I love the 22" wheels on the R1S. Originally our order was for the R1S with black 22" wheels. When we changed to the R1T, my wife still wanted the 22s, but I convinced her that the 20" wheels looked better on the truck and would be more useful.

We won't do any serious off-roading. Only moderate trails to get to back country camp sites or remote hiking trail heads. But the main reason was traction in heavy snow. We are big skiers and regularly drive through gnarly weather in the mountains. The stock 22" tires wouldn't work, so it would have required a separate set of wheels/tires for the winter. The 20" setup is perfect for year round.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I didn’t actually like the FG interior much at all in photos, but the truck I did my demo drive in last weekend had it and it looked much better to me in person. If I were given that as an option vs the black I asked for, I would definitely consider it.

ChampagneUnicorn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (preorder), XC90 Recharge, 65 Riviera GS
Occupation
Gnome Figurine Day Trader
Clubs

Rims……. Sigh. From this “city slicker” they are wheels, lol and I like my 22 inch sport dark wheels. I didn’t want the 40ish+ mile decrease that was advertised by going with the 20 inch all terrains for my everyday commute and frankly thought the standard wheels looked like a flower with the air deflectors. I felt it would be better to have regular sport tire/wheel setup and then a seperate set of off-road wheels/tires for the less often treks off the beaten path.

I got my truck from the Rivian shop though so I’d say just keep checking everyday. Took me about 4 days before I found a design I liked (and frankly when I picked mine, EVERYTHING else was the all terrain wheel/tire package so I’m sure you will see some pop up soon!)
Cool, thanks. In my neck of the woods there are rims & tires, and combined they are wheels. I'm not a huge fan of the 20" machined aluminum rims, but didn't want to pay yet another $1700 for the black ones - would rather put my money towards the reinforced underbody.

My R1T won't be my daily driver, and living in SLC, UT, there are 100s of instances where I might go off-roading on a moment's notice.

Glad to hear the green interior is looking better to some than it does on a computer screen. I just prefer the black.

Who knows, I may just end up switching back to the original Max pack and holding out. I'm in no big hurry - but after my 1st Mile drive, I'd sure like one now!
Blowing most Porsches, Teslas, R-Audis, M-BMWs and Corvettes off the line at any red light just for funsies? Then throwing my 20s on over the weekend for some mountain dirt-baggery.

Sponsored

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
Blowing most Porsches, Teslas, R-Audis, M-BMWs and Corvettes off the line at any red light just for funsies? Then throwing my 20s on over the weekend for some mountain dirt-baggery.

Alright, Mario Andretti, settle down. You drive a Volvo right now, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.
I don't think Mrs. ChampagneUnicorn will appreciate you trying to race anyone in town when you get your R1S.

My current EV drives circles around any Rivian, but I will not be "blowing" anyone off the line in my current car, nor when I get my R1T.

The beauty of owning an EV is knowing that you have power in bushels if you need it, not endangering anyone while you are in your weekend warrior play world.

ChampagneUnicorn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

Alright, Mario Andretti, settle down. You drive a Volvo right now, so let's not get ahead of ourselves.
I don't think Mrs. ChampagneUnicorn will appreciate you trying to race anyone in town when you get your R1S.

My current EV drives circles around any Rivian, but I will not be "blowing" anyone off the line in my current car, nor when I get my R1T.

The beauty of owning an EV is knowing that you have power in bushels if you need it, not endangering anyone while you are in your weekend warrior play world.
I see that you’re feeling extra prickly about your Porsche. I said “most” honey and I was making a joke. Deep breaths.

Denver_Paulie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Porsche Taycan CT4s, '23 Rivian R1T
I see that you’re feeling extra prickly about your Porsche. I said “most” honey and I was making a joke. Deep breaths.

I don't feel "prickly" about most things. Certainly not about my Taycan since it does what it needs to when appropriate. Including leaving the vast majority of vehicles behind if I choose to. That goes for my Rivian as well, when it arrives.

I just thought your Internet internet forum tough guy comments were funny in light of you driving a Volvo.

Since this thread is about spec choice and what you would take in the shop, at this point I would take just about any combination to move up in the wait queue. Have to draw the line on the yellow. Just not for me.

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
The green interior looked pretty good in the configuration, with the best wood option. But I really didn’t like it in person. To each their own

As for the city slickers. What do you define as off road? 80% of the roads in my town are unpaved. On a 5 mile drive to drop my kids off at school, less than 1 mile of that is on a maintained road. If you’re on the road and a car is coming the other way it’s a simple rule. The larger car pulls up on the bank and/or into the field so the other can pass.

If it rains, we get flash floods and since the roads aren’t maintained, we have to go through these if we want to get home. It’s not much, maybe 12” or so of water usually. Quite frankly it doesn’t look much different than some of the trails (non rock) videos I’ve seen

I don’t need 20” wheels with knobby tires. I’m not climbing rocks and I know not to drive through a muddy field. If I do, I’m not doing it for fun so I know to look for the most solid and direct path to get past my obstacle.

If I can do that in a Tesla Model X, 8” of ground clearance and 22” wheels and 3.5” of sidewall. Why wouldn’t I be able to do that in a Rivian on 22” wheels and 5.5” of sidewall in the same tire?
Granted, I'm repeating myself, but here in SLC, UT, it's very easy to find oneself on any given canyon/mountain road that the next bend suddenly has very sharp granite rocks that will rip through a tire, regardless of the sidewall. I had a 2014 SQ5 that I took to one of my favorite creeks to do some flyfishing 5 or 6 years ago. I had a set of 19" rims with winter/off-road tires and 21"s with summer/road. Of course, on this day, I had the 21"s on. I should have taken my Tundra, but since I was already in the area in the SQ5 and happened to have my fishing gear, I went for it. Shredded one of the tires in a horribly narrow and inconvenient spot and it basically ruined the day. Not going to let that happen again. My S6 is now my daily driver and the Tundra is for boating, mountain/desert roads, etc. I will be keeping the Tundra for a while after the Rivian purchase, just to make sure it's all I'm hoping for. If not, I'll just end up flipping it and keeping the Tundra, which is basically bomb proof with the lift and aftermarket wheels. Wife will be keeping her Rubicon until (if) our Bronco Badlands order ever shows up. Acknowledged - all 1st world problems.

Last edited:

Sponsored

ChampagneUnicorn

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Clubs

I don't feel "prickly" about most things. Certainly not about my Taycan since it does what it needs to when appropriate. Including leaving the vast majority of vehicles behind if I choose to. That goes for my Rivian as well, when it arrives.

I just thought your Internet internet forum tough guy comments were funny in light of you driving a Volvo.

Since this thread is about spec choice and what you would take in the shop, at this point I would take just about any combination to move up in the wait queue. Have to draw the line on the yellow. Just not for me.
The joke was about the specs Paulie 🤦… you can only do 0-60 in 3 seconds on the 22s. It wasn’t an insult to your personal life choices and then you feeling you had to deep-dive into my profile to find out I drive a Volvo, which I don’t- Mrs. Champagne Unicorn does. But I love that car and don’t feel it’s necessary to jump into- “how do you say I have money with out saying I have money-land” with you. But I can put it up as my profile pic if that would somehow more secure my manhood for you?
I agree with you on the yellow, but it has some allure with black ATs to me though.
P.S. I think we’d be friends in real life and we live close! Love to see your Taycan, just not interested in you acting like I’m going after people over a simple joke that obviously felt personal to you.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, F-150 Lightning Pro, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
Granted, I'm repeating myself, but here in SLC, UT, it's very easy to find oneself on any given canyon/mountain road that the next bend suddenly has very sharp granite rocks that will rip through a tire, regardless of the sidewall. I had a 2014 SQ5 that I took to one of my favorite creeks to do some flyfishing 5 or 6 years ago. I had a set of 19" rims with winter/off-road tires and 21"s with summer/road. Of course, on this day, I had the 21"s on. I should have taken my Tundra, but since I was already in the area in the SQ5 and happened to have my fishing gear, I went for it. Shredded one of the tires in a horribly narrow and inconvenient spot and it basically ruined the day. Not going to let that happen again. My S6 is now my daily driver and the Tundra is for boating, mountain/desert roads, etc. I will be keeping the Tundra for a while after the Rivian purchase, just to make sure it's all I'm hoping for. If not, I'll just end up flipping it and keeping the Tundra, which is basically bomb proof with the lift and aftermarket wheels. Wife will be keeping her Rubicon until (if) our Bronco Badlands order ever shows up. Acknowledged - all 1st world problems.
So everything outside of SLC, UT = city slickers? And no off reading exists outside of there?

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
Sorry, didn't mean to knock the green interior -- just not my cup of tea. Glad you're liking yours. And, yeah, why buy one of these things if you're not going to take it where it's meant to go? Getting one with 22s & road tires would be sacrilege here in Utah.

Smoking tire did a great video on how capable the vehicle is with 22's. Of course, mud and water may not be so great.

No surprise Utahn's not being able to understand others point of view...

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
I love the 22" wheels on the R1S. Originally our order was for the R1S with black 22" wheels. When we changed to the R1T, my wife still wanted the 22s, but I convinced her that the 20" wheels looked better on the truck and would be more useful.

We won't do any serious off-roading. Only moderate trails to get to back country camp sites or remote hiking trail heads. But the main reason was traction in heavy snow. We are big skiers and regularly drive through gnarly weather in the mountains. The stock 22" tires wouldn't work, so it would have required a separate set of wheels/tires for the winter. The 20" setup is perfect for year round.
Tire rack has many reviews on the same 22' tires being great in snow on other applications... However, of course the 20's will perform better if you drive in heavy snow often. For southern california "snow", I'll be plenty fine with the 21's...

OP
OP
jakef801

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
So everything outside of SLC, UT = city slickers? And no off reading exists outside of there?
Come on bro, let's stop the forum bickering. Never said anything close to what you state above. I'm talking about where I live, currently (AND, I'm a "city slicker" as well - although I'm moving more and more so to not being one). I've also lived in SoCal, NorCal, and Colorado. I'm simply stating in my OP that it seems odd to me to be purchasing a $80k - $100k pickup truck with 22" sport wheels. I see it all the time - maybe an F250 or some other HD with the low-rider look - again, to each his own, but seems silly to me. I love my 21"s on my S6 with stupid expensive, short life tires - that's what it's designed for. A pickup truck with the capabilities of the Rivian, on sharp ass granite rock roads, snowy (maybe not for much longer) mountain passes, redrock/rock-crawl country basically demands the big, knobby tires.
Sponsored