First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Vacation Rentals
2 free Volta chargers by my gym so every day I pull up and if it's open, I grab a charge while I workout.

This really makes me despise many EV drivers as I feel they are entitled aholes with no respect. They take for free and can not be bothered to coil the cord back up and some like this ahole have no qualms about leaving it in the road to be sure it gets run over and ruined for the rest of us.

I confronted one such individual on the way back to my truck as I watched him unplug and plug the handle in but leave the cord tangled up and in the road. I said hey bud, can you coil that up to keep it safe? He got indignant and explained "it was like that before I plugged in". I thought to myself "Oh well excuuuuuse me then, by all means, leave it in the street in a tangled mess! " but said well, you need to coil it up and out of the street and he said NO, you do it! I said sure, I absolutely will since you are too entitled to do it for yourself. Coiled it up and then went to my truck as he drove away.

Rivian R1T R1S I hate when I pull up to this... IMG_6793
Sponsored

240vPlug

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ElectrifiedOutdoors.com
Vehicles
23 R1T (Limestone), 23 R1S (El Cap)
Clubs

2 free Volta chargers by my gym so every day I pull up and if it's open, I grab a charge while I workout.

This really makes me despise many EV drivers as I feel they are entitled aholes with no respect. They take for free and can not be bothered to coil the cord back up and some like this ahole have no qualms about leaving it in the road to be sure it gets run over and ruined for the rest of us.

I confronted one such individual on the way back to my truck as I watched him unplug and plug the handle in but leave the cord tangled up and in the road. I said hey bud, can you coil that up to keep it safe? He got indignant and explained "it was like that before I plugged in". I thought to myself "Oh well excuuuuuse me then, by all means, leave it in the street in a tangled mess! " but said well, you need to coil it up and out of the street and he said NO, you do it! I said sure, I absolutely will since you are too entitled to do it for yourself. Coiled it up and then went to my truck as he drove away.

IMG_6793.jpg
Sounds like a pleasant exchange 😁. I too try to look after things to make sure they are available and in good repair for others. I suspect many folks don't wan to get their hands dirty or simply don't care. I don't even think they think about it. I see that in a lot of areas of the world today. People just don't pay attention or think about things...they just go through the motions.

oskeei

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Duramax Silverado, French's Mustard Yellow R1S
Clubs

Goes beyond chargers, unfortunately the "me mentality" is stronger than ever. Sounds corny, but my kids remind me when I complain about other's actions, they say "be the change". I've stopped letting those kinds of folks get to me as sometimes I am guilty of the "me mentality" too. I just try to do what is right and try to be a positive example. Wonders what kids teach you these days.

IGR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Occupation
I make things
Clubs

At least he plugged it into the stall, I witnessed (through gear guard) one guy by my gym just throws handle on the ground after he is done charging....

Really don't understand this mentality, how miserable you must be to treat infrastructure like this when its provided to you free of charge.

Sponsored

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
Probably works on The Hill.

NRJ

First Name
Nic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3, ICESUV
I don't think this is necessarily an EV driver thing. I think the only things preventing this from happening at gas stations is because gas stations have built-in cable management systems and there is the fear of spilling a flammable liquid all over the ground if you don't holster it right. Maybe Volta should set up a system that sprays gasoline all over when the charging cable isn't put away properly after use. :)

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
At least he plugged it into the stall, I witnessed (through gear guard) one guy by my gym just throws handle on the ground after he is done charging....

Really don't understand this mentality, how miserable you must be to treat infrastructure like this when its provided to you free of charge.
As one guy in our company constantly reminds us "if you give it to them for free they don't attach any value to it". Unfortunately, human nature being what it is has proved him correct on many occasions. Then on the other hand, some people are just non-caring a$$holes!

We see people at the very busy boat ramp we use back their boat down the ramp, stop, then unload all the crap from the vehicle in to the boat effectively blocking the ramp for everyone else who loaded all their gear in to the boat at home as to not hold up the boat ramp. Just uncaring a$$holes!

Billyt1963

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, R1T
Occupation
Retired
What if there was a system like the Aldi grocery store uses for carts. You have to insert money (or credit card) to get the plug out and when you are done you get it back?

That would at least get the plug put back in the right place.

jplblue

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Honda Element
Clubs

What if there was a system like the Aldi grocery store uses for carts. You have to insert money (or credit card) to get the plug out and when you are done you get it back?

That would at least get the plug put back in the right place.
That'll also disincentivize folks from taking the plugs back to their homeless encampment.

Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I get what you're saying and agree with you. But, I try to avoid confrontation unless it comes looking for me. At best, the guy will get into a yelling match with you to justify his mistake. But at worst-it could get really bad. Post pandemic people are not the same mate. Stay safe.

OP
OP
Rickmc

Rickmc

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Vacation Rentals
I get what you're saying and agree with you. But, I try to avoid confrontation unless it comes looking for me. At best, the guy will get into a yelling match with you to justify his mistake. But at worst-it could get really bad. Post pandemic people are not the same mate. Stay safe.
I try and bite my tongue whenever I can but this has been brewing daily when I see it and finally came across a culprit in the act! I did size up the situation and new that I had 60lbs of lean muscle on the guy so physical confrontation wasn't a worry and I knew I wouldn't let it escalate on my end.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

This is why Level 2 ought to be like the Europeans do and you bring your own cord. Would probably make maintenance easier too.

ImAI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, R1T
haha, bad design for Shell to do that. don't expect others to dirty their hands touching that cord.

UnsungZero_OldTimeAdMan

First Name
Barnum
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 GW Quad-Large R1T "Ghost"
Occupation
Advertising Circus
That'll also disincentivize folks from taking the plugs back to their homeless encampment.
I think some level of accountability has to be designed/built into the chargers... any charger. Like the plugs are locked to the charger until account verification takes place. This way if vandalism or misuse is reported, there is a way to trace back to account used to unlock just prior. And if the plug is not placed back to be locked again after charging is complete, there'd be penalty added to your session's cost.

Behaviors can't be modified if there are no consequences.
Sponsored