I Don’t Want to Drive an Egg.

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
I don’t want to drive an egg. I don’t want a model Y egg or a model X egg that is the same as all the other eggs on the road. I want a boxy, Rover-ish, SUV. This is what drew me to the R1S and I will gladly accept a LE with all the risks...I guarantee it won’t be any riskier than owning a Land Rover with decades to get it right...and hasn’t. There will be growing pains and problems I’m sure. But as long as I’m not spending $10k per year on maintenance, essentially doubling the cost of an $80k Rover to $160,000 over 8 years, I’m good RJ.
Sponsored

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
Exactly. I’m lucky enough to be able to afford to make this choice. This vehicle is DOPE. I come from a family of owning all kinds of unique vehicle growing up (stepdad 3 jobs original Gearhead). Looking at you 1992 Dakota Convertible... only year Dodge made a factory 2 door convertible truck.
Right now, this is one of the coolest vehicles coming to market.
I just hope they hold to the promise...

Coconutorra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model s
I agree completely with you! A boxy shape design like Rivian is exactly what I want. Combine this with the practicality of being a capable SUV able to go over landing, driving without fearing potholes, it's just a big win.
I hope that they become a huge brand selling different types of SUVs

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

maybe better stated.... nobody wants to be DRIVEN by an Egg.

I know Rivian will have driver-assist capabilities but expecting them to know their audience and always offer a hands-on experience for those who crave it.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Exactly. I’m lucky enough to be able to afford to make this choice. This vehicle is DOPE. I come from a family of owning all kinds of unique vehicle growing up (stepdad 3 jobs original Gearhead). Looking at you 1992 Dakota Convertible... only year Dodge made a factory 2 door convertible truck.
Right now, this is one of the coolest vehicles coming to market.
I just hope they hold to the promise...
Gearhead500, I was living in Idaho in the late 80s/early 90s and remember seeing one of these around town. Not sure of the color underneath the perma-mud outer layer, but it looked like it could tell some cool stories. I always thought it would be the perfect way to get out and about on the weekends. There were a number of enticing off-road opportunities where the desert meets the mountains.

Regarding the run they had, I think they were on the market for four or five years through the ‘92 model year. I left there in mid-91 but had seen that example for a couple of years before leaving. I was sorry they didn’t do well enough to start a trend, but many admirers likely bought a Jeep CJ, Ford Bronco/Bronco II, or Chevy Blazer/Jimmy instead.

Regardless, I share your love of vehicles that you rarely see. Eggs come by the dozen, and trying to tell one from another is a mental exercise that bores me.

Sponsored

Gearhead500

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 XLT
Occupation
Director of Marketing & Ecommerce
1967 Buick Skylark convertible as a 17 year old
1965 Camaro white with blue racing stripes till my mom made us get rid of that
1990’s Miata convertible (so how this was more family friendly for five kids then the Camaro)
That Dakota I actually followed to 2 owners after me.

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
I don’t want to drive an egg. I don’t want a model Y egg or a model X egg that is the same as all the other eggs on the road. I want a boxy, Rover-ish, SUV.
I have been driving those Eggs exclusively since 2015 and I completely agree with you. I don't regret my Xs and Y, because there was nothing else even close to their capability in the EV realm. But as a former Range Rover owner, I can't wait for the R1S. I see it as the X and Rover had a baby, the R1S.

Plus, I am so over the Tesla customer service or lack there of!

johnking

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3, R1S
LOL - I just bought a used low miles showroom model egg 3 days ago - Model S lease returned , Model X in. I agree with general sentiment of having a non-egg SUV. [cancelled my order for the refreshed Model X before placing the order for the X I bought]. I am looking forward to test the driver assist features of the R1S and own the LE when it is ready. Till then, it is the egg-X for me as my back, neck were hurting on the S. After two days of driving in the X, my wife is looking forward to the test drive on the R1S ?. I think Rivian is hitting all the right notes with the R1S. The better suspension, safety built in, ride comfort, Driver + tech, range, utilitarian features ....I could go on !

PS: My previous post on why I am looking forward to the R1S.
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/why-are-you-buying-your-rivian.492/post-6294
Sponsored