First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
Hope everyone is safe and warm here in Texas... I wouldn't have minded having my R1S to "plow" the driveway.... Instead I had to use my wife's Forester... There is a driveway in there somewhere under 5-6 inches of snow.... *I realize for many of you this is no big deal but for central Texas this is truly a once in a generation event.... It will snow here and be gone within 24 hours.... This snow is going to last almost a week...

edit: changed 24 days meant 24 hours..... right now it feels like this snow is going to last 24 days....

Rivian R1T R1S I could have used my R1S this week... IMG_6465
Sponsored

Last edited:

RobBot

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2007 Toyota Tacoma
My current truck is RWD only and I have basically been stuck. I can't get out. The whole time I've been thinking about how great it'd be to have a Rivian right now.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Yeah, we got several more inches of snow here in North TX last night. I'm just glad we managed to avoid the ice storm for once. Fortunately we have had no need to leave the house. We have been dealing with the rolling power outages and have been luckier than many to have enough intermittent power to keep the house warm enough, if not as warm as we would like. Did get me thinking how nice it would have been to have a big Rivian battery pack parked in the garage that could, in theory if not yet practice, be used as backup power for the house.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Did get me thinking how nice it would have been to have a big Rivian battery pack parked in the garage that could, in theory if not yet practice, be used as backup power for the house.
Amen! I hope our Rivians are capable of vehicle to grid. If not, I'm getting a propane generator for the house. We were out of power for over 36 hrs in the coldest of the weather.

I saw both front & rear wheel drive vehicles have serious issues on inclines and some other places. Every vehicle I own is AWD or 4x4, so I didnt have any issues. I will say that my Grand Cherokee fared better than my truck, and I learned in the past to keep my Wranglers with mud tires away from ice...

Jsidell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T
Amen! I hope our Rivians are capable of vehicle to grid. If not, I'm getting a propane generator for the house. We were out of power for over 36 hrs in the coldest of the weather.

I saw both front & rear wheel drive vehicles have serious issues on inclines and some other places. Every vehicle I own is AWD or 4x4, so I didnt have any issues. I will say that my Grand Cherokee fared better than my truck, and I learned in the past to keep my Wranglers with mud tires away from ice...
Its been absolutely horrendous here in Texas (East Austin for me). But I was in Wimberley for the weekend and leaving Sunday mid-day was one of the scariest drives I’ve made yet. Thankfully, my GC Trailhawk with the Falken Wildpeak AT3-W tires handled those completely iced over hill country roads. Normally it’s a 45min drive on the backroads home, but it took 4hrs to get back with the road conditions and finding alternate routes when some roads were impassable.

There were more than a few times I said to myself “wonder how will my future Rivian handle this?”. Guess we’ll eventually find out...the only issue I found that could really limit its capability is charging in this extreme situation. We were going 10mph max, and had to fill up after using a quarter tank of gas that first hour. It would’ve been tight with the charging since the vehicle wouldn’t be plugged in all weekend, heat to keep the windshield from freezing + fully loaded vehicle and the heater on for everyone..

Phewww...

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Leander here, roads were darn treacherous with all the ice...sounds like one heck of an adventure around Wimberley! Roads have been SO much better after the snow...worst part now is there are still a lot of scary/dumb drivers on the road.

Hope all of my fellow Texans stay warm & safe, we're in the home stretch of this sh*t!

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Leander here, roads were darn treacherous with all the ice...sounds like one heck of an adventure around Wimberley! Roads have been SO much better after the snow...worst part now is there are still a lot of scary/dumb drivers on the road.

Hope all of my fellow Texans stay warm & safe, we're in the home stretch of this sh*t!
Hey, my brother's in Leander. I didn't think anyone else knew where that was.

I hope he's not who you were referring to... ;)

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey, my brother's in Leander. I didn't think anyone else knew where that was.

I hope he's not who you were referring to... ;)
LOL!

It used to be "in the middle of nowhere" but it's basically part of Austin now; I still tell non-locals that I live in Austin because that's easier. Definitely give me a shout if you ever make it down this way!

barsaec

First Name
Woody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Mercedes-Benz EQS SUV, Range Rover Classic
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Hope everyone is safe and warm here in Texas... I wouldn't have minded having my R1S to "plow" the driveway.... Instead I had to use my wife's Forester... There is a driveway in there somewhere under 5-6 inches of snow.... *I realize for many of you this is no big deal but for central Texas this is truly a once in a generation event.... It will snow here and be gone within 24 hours.... This snow is going to last almost a week...

edit: changed 24 days meant 24 hours..... right now it feels like this snow is going to last 24 days....

IMG_6465.jpg
San Antonio here. Glad I had my old battle wagon take care of the parents. We were w/o power for 24hrs in the longest stint. Even driving around flatish San Antonio was interesting with people making horrible driving decisions. Stay warm and safe.

Rivian R1T R1S I could have used my R1S this week... IMG_8384

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Skyote, bajadahl, RobBot, electruck, Jsidell, davrow_R1T, barsaec, and all of our other friends struck by this freakish winter weather,

Best wishes to all of you, your families, friends, and animals. I hope some warmer air arrives there soon. This storm has been tough enough to watch from afar, so I can only imagine what you're all going through right now. As many of you have eluded to, moving on the frozen roadways is tough enough, but the ability to stop is next to impossible. Harder yet is avoiding the crazies who either don't know how to handle any of it, or lack the equipment to do so safely. At least it's good to hear from all of you that you're doing as well as you are.

Be well, be warm, and be safe.❤
Rivian R1T R1S I could have used my R1S this week... 1613792128038
Sponsored