Sponsored
OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Tesla absolutely is a hubristic, living-in-a-bubble company. I've never heard a more accurate portrayal of Tesla and Musk. They offered a unique product before everyone else, As time goes on, their product is becoming less and less unique and they too will have to compete on merit.
I find the Tesla comparison ironic as many here claim Rivian is supposed to be the "anti-Tesla". Clearly they have taken significant cues from Tesla's products.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Tesla absolutely is a hubristic, living-in-a-bubble company. I've never heard a more accurate portrayal of Tesla and Musk.
FWIW I completely agree with you regarding Tesla!

Case in point.... Elon does not want to add CCS to his SC stations because it just irks him. He will delay, defer, deflect, procrastinate, etc.. and it will never happen in the USA unless he is absolutely forced to by the government.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I find the Tesla comparison ironic as many here claim Rivian is supposed to be the "anti-Tesla". Clearly they have taken significant cues from Tesla's products.
Elon is a complete asshole but Tesla's market cap is 20X Ford despite Ford revenue being 8X that of Tesla. I don't know why people are having such a hard time grokking this. Rivian doesn't want to be Ford. Rivian's shareholders do not want it to be Ford. Of course they are taking cues from Tesla.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Elon is a complete asshole but Tesla's market cap is 20X Ford despite Ford revenue being 8X that of Tesla. I don't know why people are having such a hard time grokking this. Rivian doesn't want to be Ford. Rivian's shareholders do not want it to be Ford. Of course they are taking cues from Tesla.
I’m saying I don’t understand why so many on this forum claim Rivian and RJ are the anti-Tesla and Elon when it’s clear he is following in their footsteps in so many ways. Regardless of the motivations or correctness it is clear he is trying to emulate Tesla, so those claiming Rivian is the anti-Tesla are clearly wrong.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I’m saying I don’t understand why so many on this forum claim Rivian and RJ are the anti-Tesla and Elon when it’s clear he is following in their footsteps in so many ways. Regardless of the motivations or correctness it is clear he is trying to emulate Tesla, so those claiming Rivian is the anti-Tesla are clearly wrong.
Best guess is that they say it's the anti-Tesla because RJ doesn't pump and dump crypto currency and tweet poop emojis at other CEOs. But if you're going to try to build the next great electric car company, you'd be a fool not to try to copy as much of the successful bits as possible.

Here's some more fodder for this hopeless discussion, probably written by some tech bubble weirdo who also just doesn't get it:
https://www.vox.com/recode/23166538/apple-google-amazon-cars

Sponsored

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, I’m at 10 cars…
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

The only big issue I've had is occasional choppiness with the bluetooth connection from the RoadTop to the Rivian. I know the problem lies here because other outputs work fine. It's intermittent, and reconnecting often fixes the issue. I asked RoadTop support about this. They sent me a firmware update to try, but I can't seem to get it to install. I'm waiting on a follow-up from them now.
Any update on this? I I’m having the same issue

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Any update on this? I I’m having the same issue
Unfortunately, no. Support has been responsive but yet to find a solution. I’m trying to be patient, but if they can’t get a fix in the next few weeks I’ll request a refund and try a different brand.

jdubs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Tesla Model S
I'm in the same place. It's definitely a bluetooth compatibility issue between the unit and Rivian, I tried this CarlinKit A1 Wireless CarPlay and Android Auto Dongle with an android tablet to see if that would work and it worked flawlessly, so the Rivian can make it work, just need a compatible Bluetooth stack

I've ordered this unit and will return the Roadtop unit: Wireless Apple Carplay & Android Auto

I will post an update on how it turns out. Shame about the Roadtop unit though, was the perfect dimensions and their support was really responsive.

OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Gauging the potential of trading my R1T for an F150 Lightning and found this nice walkthrough of the Ford system which shows the CarPlay setup:

I like that it supports two different window sizes/layouts. I just wish Ford had used a landscape screen.

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
Gauging the potential of trading my R1T for an F150 Lightning and found this nice walkthrough of the Ford system which shows the CarPlay setup:

I like that it supports two different window sizes/layouts. I just wish Ford had used a landscape screen.
Carplay is pretty much the only thing I miss about my Mach E. Then I drive my R1T and I don't miss it anymore. 😉

Sponsored

Interferon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S P100DL
I emailed RJ about the inconsistent pricing treatments, and surprisingly he responded. I replied back to him telling him about my experience so far with the truck and told him my number one request is CarPlay support. I told him I added an additional screen solely to use CarPlay and even attached a photo of the setup. He actually replied again, unfortunately with bad news:

“Regarding your feedback, I wanted to provide a response. At this time, we aren’t planning to integrate CarPlay. Like many product decisions and tradeoffs, we understand that not everyone will agree on this, but we believe that this approach enables us to build a native digital environment that continues to grow and evolve over time without limitation. Given how important this is to you, I wanted to be clear on our strategy and appropriately set your expectations.”

This is incredibly disappointing to hear. I replied again explaining that CarPlay should in no way impede Rivian’s ability to develop their own platform as it’s an optional and supplemental feature.

I highly suggest those who do want native CarPlay or Android Auto please continue to push for it. Email [email protected] and [email protected], contact customer support, tell your guides, etc. Customer pressure reversed the pricing fiasco. Hopefully it can do the same here.
What he is saying is that CarPlay can provide an end-around the locked-in ecosystem he is trying to create. He even said on an investor's conference that he intends to make most of his profit on add-on services.
That all goes out the window if people can use free apps instead.

After owning a Tesla for over 5 years, I can tell you to not expect any real improvement in the software after a couple of years. A new higher-performance processor will be added every couple of years to new models and that's where all the software engineering resources will be concentrated. They aren't gonna spend a lot of time optimizing their code to work smoothly on a system that've already gotten the payment for.
Every year, the software on my car has gotten more buggy and sluggish. It is nearly unusable now.

Last edited:
OP
OP

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
What he is saying is that CarPlay can provide an end-around the locked-in ecosystem he is trying to create. He even said on an investor's conference that he intends to make most of his profit on add-on services.
That all goes out the window if people can use free apps instead.
The counterpoint is I don't even use the infotainment beyond adjusting drive modes, and I won't unless CarPlay is implemented. Ironically if they wanted to make CarPlay a premium feature included in their ongoing services package I would probably pay for it, but without it I'll use the end-around I've installed and not give them an extra dime.

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
It’s more RJ is anti musk not anti Tesla.

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

The counterpoint is I don't even use the infotainment beyond adjusting drive modes, and I won't unless CarPlay is implemented. Ironically if they wanted to make CarPlay a premium feature included in their ongoing services package I would probably pay for it, but without it I'll use the end-around I've installed and not give them an extra dime.
I'm assuming at some point they're going to want to start charging monthly for the connectivity and maybe will throw a few other things in with that. Hard to see any reason to pay for that if they're going to stick with the current approach.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I use a much crappier version of this (which, ironically, was more expensive, as it was one of the first of these) on both my old '90s pickup and my modern barebones 3-wheel EV.
Sponsored