Sponsored

logan

First Name
logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I think some people are using connectors/converters which use the OBDII diagnostic port to provide 12v.
+1. Yeah, fwiw, I started off with usb-c to barrel connector and I got random restarts. After I switched to the OBDII approach that went away entirely.
Sponsored

bpamiri

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7, Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
Occupation
CTO
Got it - thanks! I didn’t realize it had speakers itself! That’s probably good enough for podcasts, too.

I don’t suppose it registers as an EV for routing?
EV Routing is based on the OEM app on the phone registering with iOS. I have the Porsche app on my iPhone for my wife's hybrid and it registers as an available EV to Apple Maps. So once again this would be very easy for Rivian to add to their iOS app.

bpamiri

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7, Porsche Cayenne Hybrid
Occupation
CTO
Everyone who wants Android Auto or CarPlay should be letting Rivian know they want it via reasonable communications. None of us can reasonably blame Rivian for us buying a vehicle which didn’t include it. That’s on us.
I did do that by not purchasing the R1S. I was an early 2019 reservation holder for 2 R1S vehicles and when my reservation window came up in March 2023 I canceled my reservations and gave up the launch addition pricing and told them it was because of lack of CarPlay support. With 85K reservations on the backlog I don't think this will get any attention till the backlog is dried up.

In full disclosure I have place another reservation for another R1S to get to the end of the line in hopes that they will add this feature before my next reservation window comes up. By mid to late 2024 there will be other options available that have already committed to CarPlay support. So for me it will be a decision I will make once again when my next window comes up.

_R1S_

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
No android auto kills me. The Rivian nav is good enough, but the robot voice for directions is terrible, and the nav is not good enough to be useful. Back to using the old trusty cell phone in hands full mode. @bpamiri I took delivery, but cancelled the second order i had. Does Rivian accept feedback from buyers? They just lost a $90k sale over android auto and lack of blended braking. I was expecting something better than a tesla user interface and driving mode.

Sponsored

Altitude

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Tahoe, 2022 GLC300, 2016 911 C4S
First post here. I’m about to buy a new SUV and this is a walkaway issue for me. So I’m keen to join the conversation.

I don’t care about Apple CarPlay per se. What I care about is hands free, eyes free texting. I use CarPlay every day in my 2016 Tahoe and every rental car I get. It’s great, but it’s not indispensable - except for hands free, eyes free texting. That is a safety issue, its application in CarPlay was a total game changer, and I would be loathe to go without it.

Let me clarify the functionality.
  • When a text message comes in, no matter what is running on the UI, a banner-type message appears on the screen indicating the incoming text and who sent it.
  • You tap that banner, the system reads the text out loud and asks if you want to reply or hear the text again.
  • If you reply, you speak your message. The system reads it back to you, confirms you want to send, and you indicate that you do by saying so.

I realize most of this is doable through the phone itself. I have reasons why that is not good enough:
  • The phone generally doesn’t do it while locked. You have to unlock your phone while driving.
  • My employer requires that I disable “Hey Siri” access while my phone is locked, apparently it’s a vulnerability. Have to unlock the phone with password to use Siri. See above.
  • Generally if you use on-phone functionality when the phone has a Bluetooth connection, the infotainment has to be set to use that connection, otherwise you hear no sound from the phone. CarPlay promotes sound for this texting function through whatever source is selected. You could be listening to AM radio and it would still work the same way.
If Rivian can provide functionality similar to this, I don’t care about CarPlay.

Last edited:

Spaceball1

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 R1T, 23 Kia EV6, 15 Mustang GT Vert
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
First post here. I’m about to buy a new SUV and this is a walkaway issue for me. So I’m keen to join the conversation.

I don’t care about Apple CarPlay per se. What I care about is hands free, eyes free texting. I use CarPlay every day in my 2016 Tahoe and every rental car I get. It’s great, but it’s not indispensable - except for hands free, eyes free texting. That is a safety issue, its application in CarPlay was a total game changer, and I would be loathe to go without it.

Let me clarify the functionality.
  • When a text message comes in, no matter what is running on the UI, a banner-type message appears on the screen indicating the incoming text and who sent it.
  • You tap that banner, the system reads the text out loud and asks if you want to reply or hear the text again.
  • If you reply, you speak your message. The system reads it back to you, confirms you want to send, and you indicate that you do by saying so.

I realize most of this is doable through the phone itself. I have reasons why that is not good enough:
  • The phone generally doesn’t do it while locked. You have to unlock your phone while driving.
  • My employer requires that I disable “Hey Siri” access while my phone is locked, apparently it’s a vulnerability. Have to unlock the phone with password to use Siri. See above.
  • Generally if you use on-phone functionality when the phone has a Bluetooth connection, the infotainment has to be set to use that connection, otherwise you hear no sound from the phone. CarPlay promotes sound for this texting function through whatever source is selected. You could be listening to AM radio and it would still work the same way.
If Rivian can provide functionality similar to this, I don’t care bout CarPlay.
Tesla has tried and failed (IMO) to implement voice to text. Rivian says they are working to add it, but it’s so bad in Tesla, I have zero faith Rivian can be successful. I don’t understand why Tesla and Rivian insist on wasting so many development hours on reinventing the wheel, and failing at it to boot. Anyway, my main gripe with Teslas text integration was the lack of being able to handle group texting. I have a ton of group texts and the inability to handle those is a dealbreaker. I don’t think current Bluetooth protocol used can even do it, so I don’t know if that’d ever be something they can succeed with.

Siri doesn’t do everything great, but it does a great job handling texting while driving. I have not been impressed with Alexa, and if that’s the basis for texting in a Rivian, then my CarPlay 3rd screen will continue to be the go-to!

Inhisname

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
RSM
As we all know, Rivian in their infinite wisdom believes they can build a better software experience than Apple or Google for in-car infotainment. As an owner I can now definitively say at this moment and for the foreseeable future that is not true. They simply lack the market presence and development resources to target all of the possible media and navigation applications their customers want to use. I know I am not alone in this analysis, and like many I am constantly petitioning Rivian to add CarPlay and Android Auto support. However, I'm not waiting around crossing my fingers for it to happen.

I purchased and installed the RoadTop 8.8" display. It is a Linux-based standalone and portable media unit typically used to add modern features to older vehicles, or in this case a brand-new, modern truck built by a new company with too much hubris. It has a wide screen display, which I prefer over the typical 4:3 units. It supports both CarPlay and Android Auto, wired via USB-A or wireless. It can connect to the vehicle's sound system using three different methods: an aux jack, an FM transmitter, or a bluetooth connection. It is powered by 12V. The design is better than most, though not perfect. The bezels are large, and it has a bit of a "chin" like an iMac. The screen resolution is also low (1280 x 480), but it's readable. The price is reasonable in my opinion at $290 shipped. It does come with a camera which is a waste in this application. It would be nice to see a SKU without it for a lower price.

Setup and installation was simple and straightforward. I mounted the screen above the existing Rivian infotainment using the included suction mount with boom arm. I then ran the power cable to the 12V port beneath the center air vents and powered on the screen. I removed the Rivian Audio connection from my iPhone and connected the iPhone via bluetooth to the RoadTop unit. It prompted me to start CarPlay, and within seconds it was up and running. I then connected the RoadTop as a bluetooth device to the Rivian infotainment and set the output appropriately. Boom, wireless CarPlay in a Rivian.

The 12V power is tied to the lock state of the truck. If the truck is unlocked, the unit powers on. If it's locked it powers down. Startup time is relatively quick (~8 seconds from power up), and it can be set to boot directly into CarPlay. It's responsive, and the audio quality sounds comparable to the direct bluetooth connection to the Rivian infotainment. It also supports screen mirroring via AirPlay or MirrorLink, which is a nice touch. When parked you can easily stream video from your phone.

The only big issue I've had is occasional choppiness with the bluetooth connection from the RoadTop to the Rivian. I know the problem lies here because other outputs work fine. It's intermittent, and reconnecting often fixes the issue. I asked RoadTop support about this. They sent me a firmware update to try, but I can't seem to get it to install. I'm waiting on a follow-up from them now.

B2757344-0EA8-4711-B6F4-7E19E8DA19CE_1_102_o.jpeg

DB60D866-F7BC-45CE-9183-F5961BBDD634_1_102_o.jpeg

87AF0CC1-A795-4083-84E0-0832A73F0B66_1_102_o.jpeg

And now I'll attempt to preempt many of the comments...

Why not just use a phone mount?
I prefer the CarPlay interface when driving. The whole point of CarPlay was to prevent phone use while driving. I also don't like putting my phone in a dedicated spot every time I get in a car. If a phone mount works for you, great! I just wanted to show an alternative.

What if Rivian adds CarPlay in the future?
Fantastic, I welcome that. Obviously this solution is not ideal. Nothing would make me happier than seeing them come to their senses on phone integration.

This looks dumb. Do you really need CarPlay this bad?
Look, I don't love having to resort to this. I agree it's not beautiful or elegant. The power cord and mount are not pleasing to look at. Having yet another screen in the truck is redundant. But ultimately I will sacrifice aesthetic for function. The native infotainment does not serve me well. CarPlay does. If you're happy with the system in its current state, good for you. For those of us who aren't this is an option.
I tried that one and found the same issues with bluetooth and also the look of the installation so I returned it. I went with the one from EV Sportline and it is 1000 times better. The installation took less than 10 minutes (I do have a 12v lighter under my center dash area) and it works like a charm. The audio is amazing. Their support at EV Sportline is excellent and the price is $259. Well worth it, if you, like I wanted/needed apple car play due to how crappy the Rivian Navigation system is. You are right they think they can do the software better. I live in that world and it's a pipe dream to think it will come out any time soon. Here's the link: https://evsportline.com/collections...-carplay-smart-dash-screen-for-rivian-r1t-r1s
Sponsored