Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Clarification - I like to see the number of inches from the most outer point of the driver's side door to the most outer end of the passenger door. With both doors fully open.
Open one door fully. Measure how far it sticks out. Double thst value and add it to overall width
Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
@Iwantatesla could you please take a photo of the sticker that shows the payload capacity of your vehicle? Should be on the drivers door jamb somewhere. I've seen conflicting info out there - someone claimed the off-road package had a payload of only ~1400lbs, but they didn't have a photo of the sticker to back that up. Customer Service has quoted 1,764lbs for the R1T with Large pack. They could not provide me specs for my Max pack configuration yet as they have not confirmed that info yet internally. This info is important for me as I'm planning to tow with mine.

Thanks for all your info and vids so far!!
This was from the recent TFL video. Is this helpful?
Rivian R1T R1S I’m backkkkk. What do you want to see / know? Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 4.03.57 PM

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

@Iwantatesla could you please take a photo of the sticker that shows the payload capacity of your vehicle? Should be on the drivers door jamb somewhere. I've seen conflicting info out there - someone claimed the off-road package had a payload of only ~1400lbs, but they didn't have a photo of the sticker to back that up. Customer Service has quoted 1,764lbs for the R1T with Large pack. They could not provide me specs for my Max pack configuration yet as they have not confirmed that info yet internally. This info is important for me as I'm planning to tow with mine.

Thanks for all your info and vids so far!!
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...owner-first-impressions-video.3175/post-86336

kizamybute'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This one, that one and the other one.
Clubs

Received this from customer service:

So, not a good plan for recovery or towing from the front without the offroad package.
Now that I think about it, I'm surprised that only the front has tow hooks with the Off-Road package. Seems like they would have put some on the rear too so the Rivian can tow others out of trouble. Trailer hitch isn't practical for that. Most off-road inspired vehicles have tow hooks in back too.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Now that I think about it, I'm surprised that only the front has tow hooks with the Off-Road package. Seems like they would have put some on the rear too so the Rivian can tow others out of trouble. Trailer hitch isn't practical for that. Most off-road inspired vehicles have tow hooks in back too.
The recovery kit they have on their site has a hitch link which you could easily hook a shackle + tow strap to. This is pretty standard in absence of a dedicated offroad bumper. Off-Road Recovery Kit - Gear Shop - Rivian

I believe the test mule with the winch also had tow hooks in the rear bumper;as CS has noted, that's probably coming later (and certainly from the aftermarket).

Sponsored

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
This was from the recent TFL video. Is this helpful?
Screen Shot 2022-01-18 at 4.03.57 PM.png
Hmm that sucks. Not enough for the travel trailer we are hoping to tow. Definitely wouldn't be enough once you add the Max pack (I sent the following to CS when asking):

Considering the documents Rivian submitted to the EPA specifying a pack-level energy density of 166 Wh/kg, that yields an increase in curb weight of the Max pack by 271 kg (advertised difference of 45kWh divided by 0.166kWh/kg). Either this would decrease the available payload of the Max pack, or the Max pack also has a correspondingly higher GVWR in order to maintain the same payload (I guess a 3rd option is some combination of the two along with a previously unpublished expected improvement in energy density, which would be awesome!).

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Hmm that sucks. Not enough for the travel trailer we are hoping to tow. Definitely wouldn't be enough once you add the Max pack (I sent the following to CS when asking):

Considering the documents Rivian submitted to the EPA specifying a pack-level energy density of 166 Wh/kg, that yields an increase in curb weight of the Max pack by 271 kg (advertised difference of 45kWh divided by 0.166kWh/kg). Either this would decrease the available payload of the Max pack, or the Max pack also has a correspondingly higher GVWR in order to maintain the same payload (I guess a 3rd option is some combination of the two along with a previously unpublished expected improvement in energy density, which would be awesome!).
Are you thinking a 5th wheel trailer? The R1T bed doesn't support it. The bed is not solid, the spare tire is located under the bed. It lifts up to access the spare.

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
Are you thinking a 5th wheel trailer? The R1T bed doesn't support it. The bed is not solid, the spare tire is located under the bed. It lifts up to access the spare.
25' Airstream, tongue weight ~850lbs.

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
Agree that there is room for innovation here. The tough part, as you mention, is ventilation. No matter the technology (solid state or conventional refrigerant) they need adequate "Delta T" temperature differential to work. Especially in the case of the frunk, I'm concerned that it's a fairly tighly sealed "box" with little air mass and low infiltration, so heat build up outside the fridge in the frunk will limit the refrigerator's ability to maintain temperature. That condition shortens the life of the cooling hardware. Perhaps an innovative manufacturer could figure out a way to duct outside air into the frunk... Hood scoop on the frunk, lol?
This is the first I had heard of it so take it with a grain of salt but on their stream yesterday the TFL guys mentioned that they had a long conversation with the Rivian engineers who delivered the truck to them for review. One of the tid-bits I picked up on was the mention about some possible changes to the camp kitchen to include some type of refrigerator. Again, first time I hear about it and at best, was just some ideas that the engineers tossed around but would be pretty cool for them to just add it as part of the camp kitchen. Time will tell.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This is the first I had heard of it so take it with a grain of salt but on their stream yesterday the TFL guys mentioned that they had a long conversation with the Rivian engineers who delivered the truck to them for review. One of the tid-bits I picked up on was the mention about some possible changes to the camp kitchen to include some type of refrigerator. Again, first time I hear about it and at best, was just some ideas that the engineers tossed around but would be pretty cool for them to just add it as part of the camp kitchen. Time will tell.
In a video from overland expo 2019, Brian Gase mentioned the possibility of a custom fridge for the frunk.

This makes more sense than putting something like that into the slide-out camp kitchen. Doesn't eat up storage there, and would be a more usable shape.

edit: found it, at about 3:30 here

Last edited:

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Received this from customer service:

Thanks for reaching back out to us with this clarification. Our rear tow hitch is an integrated 2'' Class V receiver that is hidden behind a removable cover on the vehicle's rear fascia. This comes standard on both the R1T and R1S and does not require any packages or upgrades. This is the only towing feature we have outside of the Off-Road package at this time.

That said, we do anticipate to have more winch and off-road bumper options coming in 2022. These options will be available to all Rivian owners, even after delivery. More to come on that soon!

So, not a good plan for recovery or towing from the front without the offroad package.
Thanks for sharing. Can't wait to see that option with it's pricing before delivery. I reached out to CS about full size spare for R1S and got similar response. It will be available but not yet.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

hilld

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Cooper SE, Z4, X1
I'd love to see a Yeti Tundra 65 or 75 cooler in the Frunk if you happen to have one. I think it fits based on looking at dimensions, but would love to actually see a picture/video of it!

I'm always interested in the interiors. What interior do you have and could you snap a picture of it for us? :) I'm configured with Forest Edge but I've yet to see any of them in person so I could end up changing that.

Like most people, i'm interested in what tires you have and what real world range you are getting.

Thanks!
Sound like an opportunity for somebody to custom mold one that fits in the frunk. Perhaps even a powered cooler, dual zone even. (fridge / freezer)

Dometic, are you listening?
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdo...ers/electric-coolers/dometic-cfx3-75dz-220585

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sound like an opportunity for somebody to custom mold one that fits in the frunk. Perhaps even a powered cooler, dual zone even. (fridge / freezer)

Dometic, are you listening?
https://www.dometic.com/en-us/outdo...ers/electric-coolers/dometic-cfx3-75dz-220585
There was a hint of something like this coming(see my post a few back in this thread).

it would make sense for them to work with dometic to supply something like that, as they’re using dometic bits for the kitchen already
Sponsored