Sponsored

Quattro Powers

First Name
QP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I noticed that you have a box of masks in your photos. Are they N95? If so, where did you buy them?
Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Clarification - I like to see the number of inches from the most outer point of the driver's side door to the most outer end of the passenger door. With both doors fully open.
... why? What prompts this curiosity?

loucetios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, Toyota Spyder, Honda CRV
Occupation
Investor
... why? What prompts this curiosity?
Just trying to see if my garage will accommodate R1T and a full-size car. Sometimes my passages just fling the car doors open.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Given all of the electric trucks and SUVs coming on line over the next year or two, I imagine someone out these will show some foresight and design a fridge specifically for these electric vehicles. I imagine most small fridges are too tall since it wasn’t designed to go into a frunk; plus, there is no air ventilation in these enclosed spaces (frunk/gear tunnel) so it might overheat and there goes your bud-light. But with all of these vehicles that will come with plugs in the frunk and bed, it’s a good opportunity to design a fridge specifically for these electric trucks that require little or no ventilation and are shallower while being efficient. Plus, the opening would probably need to be on top instead of in front.
Agree that there is room for innovation here. The tough part, as you mention, is ventilation. No matter the technology (solid state or conventional refrigerant) they need adequate "Delta T" temperature differential to work. Especially in the case of the frunk, I'm concerned that it's a fairly tighly sealed "box" with little air mass and low infiltration, so heat build up outside the fridge in the frunk will limit the refrigerator's ability to maintain temperature. That condition shortens the life of the cooling hardware. Perhaps an innovative manufacturer could figure out a way to duct outside air into the frunk... Hood scoop on the frunk, lol?

Sponsored

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Just trying to see if my garage will accommodate R1T and a full-size car. Sometimes my passages just fling the car doors open.
If your garage is smaller than 24x24, probably gonna be a tight squeeze with doors open.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I put a piece of foam up in a previous garage, so the door would have something soft to impact.

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

While the Model X's doors are overall pretty unnecessary/gimmicky, I will say that the one truly nice thing about the front doors being powered is that the car applies resistance when opening once it gets too close to an adjacent object. It's difficult to hit the door against anything because the car will stop it.

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
I don't think it has been asked before, but what is the acceleration like AFTER 80mph or so? A lot of EVs (outside of the Plaid or crazy ones like the Rimac) run out of steam after the initial 0-60 or 80mph.

The refresh 2021-2022 Model S (non-Plaid) solves for this, but curious how the Rivian stacks up.

I'm going to be replacing my BMW X5M which is a monster so besides the obvious benefits off road and down low, curious how the performance specs are up top. Thanks!

Attesan997

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I don't think it has been asked before, but what is the acceleration like AFTER 80mph or so? A lot of EVs (outside of the Plaid or crazy ones like the Rimac) run out of steam after the initial 0-60 or 80mph.

The refresh 2021-2022 Model S (non-Plaid) solves for this, but curious how the Rivian stacks up.

I'm going to be replacing my BMW X5M which is a monster so besides the obvious benefits off road and down low, curious how the performance specs are up top. Thanks!
Think that latest Carwow review mentioned the power drops off at higher speeds. From what I recall the tires are rated up to 130mph. But considering this thing is about 7k lbs I'm less concerned about power over 100mph. At least not on public roads.

Sponsored

shamoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 GT3, Tesla Model S LR
Occupation
Cybersecurity
Think that latest Carwow review mentioned the power drops off at higher speeds. From what I recall the tires are rated up to 130mph. But considering this thing is about 7k lbs I'm less concerned about power over 100mph. At least not on public roads.
Agree, but I'm still curious. I like all my vehicles to be pretty fast/powerful so I'm interested in knowing when power drops off. If it drops off at 60mph, I'm more concerned than if it were to drop off at 120mph. For the latter, I don't care as much lols.

Being able to accelerate at speed is part of safety as well.

I think my X5M is about 6000-6500lbs so not light either. But it drives almost like a car. These days vehicles are getting heavier and heavier. If safety equipment/brakes/suspension/power are proportionally there, then weight isn't as much of an issue.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Agree, but I'm still curious. I like all my vehicles to be pretty fast/powerful so I'm interested in knowing when power drops off. If it drops off at 60mph, I'm more concerned than if it were to drop off at 120mph. For the latter, I don't care as much lols.

Being able to accelerate at speed is part of safety as well.

I think my X5M is about 6000-6500lbs so not light either. But it drives almost like a car. These days vehicles are getting heavier and heavier. If safety equipment/brakes/suspension/power are proportionally there, then weight isn't as much of an issue.
https://insideevs.com/news/561579/rivian-r1t-accelerating-90mph/

The video time indicates that 0-60 mph took roughly 3+ seconds, while 0-90 mph was accomplished in about 7 seconds or so.

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
For those with rear seat leg room questions, I am 5’11” and in the blue jeans, and my friend is 6’4” in the khaki pants. I had tons of room, and he was very comfortable And had room to spare. Other friend in front is about 5’5” so she gave him some more leg room, but the driver was 6’1” and leg room was NEVER an issue.

Rivian R1T R1S I’m backkkkk. What do you want to see / know? FDCDB320-8DA7-4BC8-BFF0-B2A0294A4D07

Rivian R1T R1S I’m backkkkk. What do you want to see / know? DB61953B-96D5-40E7-97B5-575B7086AD3F

garthkoyle

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
14' Honda Odyssey, 2020 Lincoln Navigator L Reserve
Are there any tow hook points besides having to pay for the Offroad Package to get the dual, front bumper tow hooks?

Is there space to install a winch, as in does it look like they've planned for the option to install a winch?
Received this from customer service:

Thanks for reaching back out to us with this clarification. Our rear tow hitch is an integrated 2'' Class V receiver that is hidden behind a removable cover on the vehicle's rear fascia. This comes standard on both the R1T and R1S and does not require any packages or upgrades. This is the only towing feature we have outside of the Off-Road package at this time.

That said, we do anticipate to have more winch and off-road bumper options coming in 2022. These options will be available to all Rivian owners, even after delivery. More to come on that soon!
So, not a good plan for recovery or towing from the front without the offroad package.

KootenayEV

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Environmental Engineer
@Iwantatesla could you please take a photo of the sticker that shows the payload capacity of your vehicle? Should be on the drivers door jamb somewhere. I've seen conflicting info out there - someone claimed the off-road package had a payload of only ~1400lbs, but they didn't have a photo of the sticker to back that up. Customer Service has quoted 1,764lbs for the R1T with Large pack. They could not provide me specs for my Max pack configuration yet as they have not confirmed that info yet internally. This info is important for me as I'm planning to tow with mine.

Thanks for all your info and vids so far!!
Sponsored