Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I have a Ridgeline and when I sat in the R1T at the event in Normal, IL it felt very similar.
Agree...I've considered a Ridgeline and test drove one...If I recall correctly, the cab dimensions are very similar, the R1T is maybe 7" longer, otherwise very similar, cab, bed, etc.

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Good to know my reading is not the same as others. The reason I think there is no change to battery pack protection with upgrade is the first paragraph:

1642211103187.png

Why would they want to add another layer to the three that already provides "protection in most extreme off-road conditions"? the weak spots must be around it. Even if you are correct, based on this statement, that is more than enough protection for me. I just wish I could get the hooks for less than 2K so I can be towed while I am charging when I run out of juice.

Edit:
I just found this photo. I am thinking the pieces marked in red are being upgraded:

1642212172088.png
Max, can we hire you on as a CS? I've asked so many people, including Rivian, and have yet to get an answer as to what makes up the off-road package, but I think you nailed it here. It does make me wonder, even though I won't need these for "off-roading", you would think it would help smooth airflow under the truck say at Highway speed? Added weight vs better aero?

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Max, can we hire you on as a CS? I've asked so many people, including Rivian, and have yet to get an answer as to what makes up the off-road package, but I think you nailed it here. It does make me wonder, even though I won't need these for "off-roading", you would think it would help smooth airflow under the truck say at Highway speed? Added weight vs better aero?
I think there would be plastic pieces for Air flow in standard version but upgrade will replace those with good stuff.

All of these are my assumptions. I have no way to verify.

p.s. I have gone through life with making up crap. I am a perfect fit to work for Rivian as CS.

Last edited:

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I think there would be plastic pieces for Air flow but upgrade will replace it with good stuff.

All of these are my assumptions. I have no way to verify.

p.s. I have gone through life with making up crap. I am a perfect fit to work for Rivian as CS.
It does not help that all of the things we do find have varying levels of ambiguity in them.

That is not a Rivian thing though, seems like the art of good documentation died in the 80s.

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
It does not help that all of the things we do find have varying levels of ambiguity in them.

That is not a Rivian thing though, seems like the art of good documentation died in the 80s.
We are lucky people like @Iwantatesla are willing to share otherwise most of us would be having somewhat of a blind date with our R1 on delivery date. I still would love to compare some options in person. I have never seen any R1s

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Good to know my reading is not the same as others. The reason I think there is no change to battery pack protection with upgrade is the first paragraph:

1642211103187.png

Why would they want to add another layer to the three that already provides "protection in most extreme off-road conditions"? the weak spots must be around it. Even if you are correct, based on this statement, that is more than enough protection for me. I just wish I could get the hooks for less than 2K so I can be towed while I am charging when I run out of juice.

Edit:
I just found this photo. I am thinking the pieces marked in red are being upgraded:

1642212172088.png
When I was in LA at the first mile event I got under one and was looking. I sure hope you are right that the off-road package upgrades the left/right you have marked, the model they had felt like cheap plastic there but also had the tow hooks.

Reactions: Max

Blur1t

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
When I was in LA at the first mile event I got under one and was looking. I sure hope you are right that the off-road package upgrades the left/right you have marked, the model they had felt like cheap plastic there but also had the tow hooks.
Yes, and based off what happened in the Rebelle Rally has me thinking that too, maybe it’s just $1500 worth of plastic and $500 tow hooks… gosh I hope not too!

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX, Acura TLX, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I’m not sure why it’s disappointing?
It will never be as big as a full size truck since it’s a foot and a half shorter, but a Ridgeline and R1T isn’t small or cramped.
I was hoping for more of a middle ground between the ridgeline and F-150. Not looking for F-150 big, but a little more legroom than Ridgeline.

Sponsored

Cavalryscout18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I haven't seen any confirmed reports of whether you can insert a USB thumb drive and play music files? can you try that?
Not to sound daft or sound judgmental, but why or how is this needed? I thought it was something people did like 15 years ago when mp3s were a thing but not sure if there is a new trend that picked up that makes songs on a USB a thing again. With all of the streaming and smartphones on Bluetooth and satellite radio, why is this still a thing? Is it just you have songs that you refuse to pay for and just want it in a usb stick? Curious.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Not to sound daft or sound judgmental, but why or how is this needed? I thought it was something people did like 15 years ago when mp3s were a thing but not sure if there is a new trend that picked up that makes songs on a USB a thing again. With all of the streaming and smartphones on Bluetooth and satellite radio, why is this still a thing? Is it just you have songs that you refuse to pay for and just want it in a usb stick? Curious.
sound quality. Satellite Radio has pretty poor sound quality, and isn't in the Rivian anyway. The Spotify app in the R1T doesn't (currently) seem to have a way to force high quality streams. Bluetooth is also fairly highly compressed.

So, without CP/AA people aren't sure how else to get lossless or similar music to the truck.

Some people swear they can tell the difference in sound quality, others can't.

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
sound quality. Satellite Radio has pretty poor sound quality, and isn't in the Rivian anyway. The Spotify app in the R1T doesn't (currently) seem to have a way to force high quality streams. Bluetooth is also fairly highly compressed.

So, without CP/AA people aren't sure how else to get lossless or similar music to the truck.

Some people swear they can tell the difference in sound quality, others can't.
Regarding sound quality, there is a discernible difference between lossless and compressed music if you have a good sound system. Lossless audio is fuller, more depth, it can sound like you’re there. It’s a very similar concept to video compression. (I work in production, so to me I tend to notice the sound different, but only if the sound system is good. In Apple Music, with my AirPod pros, the lossless music sounds amazing) And just a technical note, video compression does not refer to resolution. That’s completely different. Compression basically makes the files smaller by leaving out data. This is true for audio and video.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

1642211103187.png

Edit:

1642212172088.png

Looks like someone has a loose screw (on the right).

It doesn’t look that solid, but there can be reasons for that. I’m more concerned about how much deflection those panels will have if I slam down on a rock. Also, the mounting hardware doesn’t look that robust. There is still a lot open to discussion. I really hope I can get a look at trucks with or without the off road pack.

Thanks for the pics. Still very useful.

loucetios

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota FJ, Toyota Spyder, Honda CRV
Occupation
Investor
Can you take a picture of the measurements of the driver side door fully open and the passenger side door fully open? I want to ensure the R1T doors will not ding my wife’s car in the garage.
Sponsored