Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Looks like someone has a loose screw (on the right).
He got it fixed. People on Facebook found it immediately. I teased him at Thanksgiving about it lol.
Sponsored

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat, 1974 914
Occupation
Engineer
I have a Ridgeline and when I sat in the R1T at the event in Normal, IL it felt very similar.
Good to hear because I drive a Ridgeline and it's perfect for our needs and our family. Especially since my wife drives it from time to time she doesn't feel like she's driving a big truck. Also, working downtown Toronto it's hard to get into parking lots with a truck the size of an F-150.

Only wish I had was that the back seats would fold the same way as the Ridgeline so my dog has a flat surface to lie on and/or I can slide a bike in the back seat if necessary. There are many uses for that. I would rarely ever use the under seat storage. I had a 2017 Ridgeline at one point and paid extra for the underseat storage that I never used. Ah well. Can't win them all.

bac4uw

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Dodge Durange R/T, Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Biostatistician
Good to hear because I drive a Ridgeline and it's perfect for our needs and our family. Especially since my wife drives it from time to time she doesn't feel like she's driving a big truck. Also, working downtown Toronto it's hard to get into parking lots with a truck the size of an F-150.

Only wish I had was that the back seats would fold the same way as the Ridgeline so my dog has a flat surface to lie on and/or I can slide a bike in the back seat if necessary. There are many uses for that. I would rarely ever use the under seat storage. I had a 2017 Ridgeline at one point and paid extra for the underseat storage that I never used. Ah well. Can't win them all.
I have a '06 Ridgeline and the ability to create an open flat(-ish) floor is so much more useful than having plastic storage bins. I can flip the smaller seat up and my old labrador retriever has flat space to lay down while still being able to carry two passengers. The R1T has a little more leg room in the foot well than the Ridgeline, but my dog is going to hate those plastic storage bins!!

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I have a '06 Ridgeline and the ability to create an open flat(-ish) floor is so much more useful than having plastic storage bins. I can flip the smaller seat up and my old labrador retriever has flat space to lay down while still being able to carry two passengers. The R1T has a little more leg room in the foot well than the Ridgeline, but my dog is going to hate those plastic storage bins!!
Agreed. I think I may have to re-think the ocean coast interior in my build because the dog will likely need to sit on the seat. The dog is a mess every time we come back from the cottage.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
sound quality. Satellite Radio has pretty poor sound quality, and isn't in the Rivian anyway. The Spotify app in the R1T doesn't (currently) seem to have a way to force high quality streams. Bluetooth is also fairly highly compressed.

So, without CP/AA people aren't sure how else to get lossless or similar music to the truck.

Some people swear they can tell the difference in sound quality, others can't.
I ditched Satellite radio in my 4Runner after the trial phase because the audio was so pinched I couldn't take it. It was barely ok for talk radio but music was atrocious.

Hoping to be able to play lossless, FLAC and Wav files from a large thumb drive.

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I ditched Satellite radio in my 4Runner after the trial phase because the audio was so pinched I couldn't take it. It was barely ok for talk radio but music was atrocious.
SiriusXM sounds like garbage, even for talk radio. HD Radio sounds soooo much better. People stare when I blast NPR — obviously in awe of how good it sounds.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Not to sound daft or sound judgmental, but why or how is this needed? I thought it was something people did like 15 years ago when mp3s were a thing but not sure if there is a new trend that picked up that makes songs on a USB a thing again. With all of the streaming and smartphones on Bluetooth and satellite radio, why is this still a thing? Is it just you have songs that you refuse to pay for and just want it in a usb stick? Curious.
People still use USB for music because Bluetooth is limiting. Most people don't realize that Bluetooth was never originally designed for music.

As others have mentioned, number 1 is sound quality. Rivian is installing a high end Meridian sound system, why don't they support a lossless sound source? Bluetooth has a variety of optional codices that a manufacturer can choose to implement or ignore. That codex has to be on both devices (ie. phone and sound system) so support for something like aptX isn't guaranteed.

Second reason for me is that USB is the portability standard in the home based live/recording music interest area. I'm a musician and I play regular gigs in a cover band. I exchange tracks, riffs, ideas, etc. with my band mates in person or via email. It's a hell of a lot easier to put it on a USB and listen to it in the car, as opposed to putting it on the phone, cluttering up playlsts with 50 short tracks. I can then take that same USB and plug it in to my DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) for overlaying my tracks, etc. It doesn't have Bluetooth, no good reason for it.

Third, I am frequently given original music on USB by bands that want to perform at one of my pubs. I have no interest in transferring that to my phone just so I can listen to it once in the car.

AllInev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius V, R1T
Good to know my reading is not the same as others. The reason I think there is no change to battery pack protection with upgrade is the first paragraph:

1642211103187.png

Why would they want to add another layer to the three that already provides "protection in most extreme off-road conditions"? the weak spots must be around it. Even if you are correct, based on this statement, that is more than enough protection for me. I just wish I could get the hooks for less than 2K so I can be towed while I am charging when I run out of juice.

Edit:
I just found this photo. I am thinking the pieces I marked in red are being upgraded:

1642212172088.png
@Iwantatesla are the areas Max marked with red X's simply made of tough plastic?

I recall quickly slipping under a parked R1T at the Sonoma First Mile event and thinking it was just tough and thick plastic. Like Max, I'm mostly interested in the tow hooks. The extra $2k is surely mostly profit for Rivian.

Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Meh - was never keen on these but may have no choice in the matter. Gotta look for one that only covers 1 of the seats because there are 2 kids in the back.
I have a canvasback cargo area cover in my car. A+/10.
They‘d likely mske a rear seat cover thst is 60/40 split.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
People still use USB for music because Bluetooth is limiting. Most people don't realize that Bluetooth was never originally designed for music.

As others have mentioned, number 1 is sound quality. Rivian is installing a high end Meridian sound system, why don't they support a lossless sound source? Bluetooth has a variety of optional codices that a manufacturer can choose to implement or ignore. That codex has to be on both devices (ie. phone and sound system) so support for something like aptX isn't guaranteed.

Second reason for me is that USB is the portability standard in the home based live/recording music interest area. I'm a musician and I play regular gigs in a cover band. I exchange tracks, riffs, ideas, etc. with my band mates in person or via email. It's a hell of a lot easier to put it on a USB and listen to it in the car, as opposed to putting it on the phone, cluttering up playlsts with 50 short tracks. I can then take that same USB and plug it in to my DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) for overlaying my tracks, etc. It doesn't have Bluetooth, no good reason for it.

Third, I am frequently given original music on USB by bands that want to perform at one of my pubs. I have no interest in transferring that to my phone just so I can listen to it once in the car.
Just burn a CD! Oh, wait...

BWV 565

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chrysler Town & Country
Clubs

Does anyone know the width of the vehicle with mirrors extended? Trying to guesstimate how it would fit in my garage. Could you measure the width at the wheelbase? That would give a good comparison to my current vehicle. Thanks for all the info!

stickyfingers

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
@Iwantatesla are the areas Max marked with red X's simply made of tough plastic?

I recall quickly slipping under a parked R1T at the Sonoma First Mile event and thinking it was just tough and thick plastic. Like Max, I'm mostly interested in the tow hooks. The extra $2k is surely mostly profit for Rivian.
Hopefully they'll make that change through an update. Can't be difficult I'm sure. The will has to be there. I know many are still wanting CP/AA and I'm one of them simply because it's great for traffic, cops, speed cameras. That helps.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
Regarding sound quality, there is a discernible difference between lossless and compressed music if you have a good sound system. Lossless audio is fuller, more depth, it can sound like you’re there. It’s a very similar concept to video compression. (I work in production, so to me I tend to notice the sound different, but only if the sound system is good. In Apple Music, with my AirPod pros, the lossless music sounds amazing) And just a technical note, video compression does not refer to resolution. That’s completely different. Compression basically makes the files smaller by leaving out data. This is true for audio and video.
I don't disagree. If I'm sitting there with a really good set of headphones and lossless I at least feel like I can notice differences compared to a straight MP3. However, I know people that just don't. Hence I worded it the way I did. Basically YMMV. :)
Sponsored