OP
OP
Iwantatesla

Iwantatesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla X Plaid, 2004 s2000, Huracan Evo, +
I'm interested to find out how effective "conserve" mode is when used on a highway trip. Does it improve range much? Thanks in advance!
It's actually a significant difference like +20 miles or so on the display.
Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
I charge to 90% and drive all purpose. Range would probably be higher if i drove on conserve
That's honestly amazing. If you are seeing 250miles @ 90% in cold weather, even if we assume only a 10% loss for cold weather, that would mean you'd easily be getting 305-310 miles of range on those ATs.

This definitely makes me feel better about switching to the "large" pack and keeping the ATs. I wonder if there's room for further improvements with software updates, the way Tesla has improved efficiency over time.

Any idea what your Wh/mi or mi/Wh is currently sitting at?

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Odd request — photo of the window weather strip on the lower edge of the doors (exterior).

My F150 and Land Rover capture pine needles and dust and the muck has to be cleaned out every few months. My wife’s XC90 though is designed such that it doesn’t. Hoping the Rivian is similar to the Volvo since it will spend a lot of time in the forest and dirt roads.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
That's honestly amazing. If you are seeing 250miles @ 90% in cold weather, even if we assume only a 10% loss for cold weather, that would mean you'd easily be getting 305-310 miles of range on those ATs.

This definitely makes me feel better about switching to the "large" pack and keeping the ATs. I wonder if there's room for further improvements with software updates, the way Tesla has improved efficiency over time.

Any idea what your Wh/mi or mi/Wh is currently sitting at?
I think he's meaning to say the total effective range (if he were to use 100% of the battery) he's seeing is 230-250mi in current conditions, regardless of what he charges to. You rarely ever find out exactly what the range is unless you run it down from 100 to 0%.

Still good, and would correlate to about 10%-15% (in line with expectations) loss due to cold if optimal potential is the 270-280mi on ATs. That, or total potential is higher and cold loss is higher, or total potential is lower and cold loss is lower. No way to tell because winter is the only data he has.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I forgot if you answered this previously, do any RAN chargers show up on the map anywhere right now?

Sponsored

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
Have you had the opportunity to determine range (w/mi) differences related to speed - i.e. 60mph vs 70 mph?

I'm planning a towing trip for June (420 miles pulling 4500 lbs) and charging stations on that route are not the best so I am looking for ways to extend range. This is all assuming my March/April window holds... :)

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Do you mind testing 1500W AC output with hair dryer, toaster, microwave, … anything you can find close to it’s limit and let us know how it goes? Tommy on his review said it is not good enough for power tools.

Thanks a bunch.

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
Thank you for the continuing wealth of info you are providing, this is a great thread.

I may have missed this elsewhere..

Can I tow using Conserve Mode? If I’m cruising steady at like 60mph on easy, mostly flat or just gentle inclined paved roads..can I use Conserve? Has anyone tried this utilizing the 7-pin connector?

Thanks a ton for all the time you spend answering these questions! ?

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
Do you mind testing 1500W AC output with hair dryer, toaster, microwave, … anything you can find close to it’s limit and let us know how it goes? Tommy on his review said it is not good enough for power tools.

Thanks a bunch.
I would Take Tommy's review with a grain of salt. If the power tools are rated under 1500W they should work if not under excessive load. The retarded start to full rpm of the saw may have been a function of the motor inrush current and the way the onboard inverter sends power. One of our resident engineers may be able to weigh in.

Sponsored

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
I would Take Tommy's review with a grain of salt. If the power tools are rated under 1500W they should work if not under excessive load. The retarded start to full rpm of the saw may have been a function of the motor inrush current and the way the onboard inverter sends power. One of our resident engineers may be able to weigh in.
I wonder if SOC has an impact on power delivery.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Thank you for the continuing wealth of info you are providing, this is a great thread.

Can I tow using Conserve Mode? If I’m cruising steady at like 60mph on easy, mostly flat or just gentle inclined paved roads..can I use Conserve? Has anyone tried this utilizing the 7-pin connector?

The towing review from TFL is tomorrow, maybe they'll answer some of your questions

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

I for one am incredibly disappointed with the frunk and the bed height.
Not one of them will fit my 45 litre fridge/freezer in it. Frunk dimensions have changed since the unveiling, so it now isn't tall enough with the false floor (which wasn't there before) and isnt wide enough (due to the fan slope), and the bed is an inch too short for the tonneau cover to fit while it is in the tray. Needless to say, it also won't fit in the gear tunnel.

Looks like I'll be waiting for an alternative. This sucks.
I'm with you on this one. The combination of the shallow bed and the proportions of the frunk make it really hard to add a fridge to the R1T. Considering how much effort went into the Camp Kitchen and positioning the truck as an adventure vehicle, this is a really unfortunately design oversight.

OP
OP
Iwantatesla

Iwantatesla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Tesla X Plaid, 2004 s2000, Huracan Evo, +

I don’t think so, they have a dedicated tow mode. I’d assume it changes things with the suspension and regen braking response.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I don’t think so, they have a dedicated tow mode. I’d assume it changes things with the suspension and regen braking response.
They may also be leveraging torque vectoring to aid stability when towing.
Sponsored