Sponsored

HVAC functionality -- heats only when the temp is set above 71 and does not use external temp as reference?

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Been there a lot, why?
Because saying HVAC issues is not a California problem implies it doesn’t get cold in California. It’s currently 40 degrees in LA.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone noticed that the HVAC turns on heat only when the temp is set above 71 and does not use external temp as reference.

Example:
If outside is 40, setting 68 or 70 turns on AC with cold air instead of hot air but the moment you set it to 72 it changes to hot air
Yes. Junk.

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The euphemism that’s apparently lost on you is that the only possible reason for such a design/execution miss is that it’s never occurred to the designers. Not that it doesn’t sometimes get chilly in CA.

Now people are even offended on behalf of the weather.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
The euphemism that’s apparently lost on you is that the only possible reason for such a design/execution miss is that it’s never occurred to the designers. Not that it doesn’t sometimes get chilly in CA.

Now people are even offended on behalf of the weather.
… euphemism? 🤔

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

I’m probably less sensitive to temperature than a lot of people but have not had an issue with the HVAC. I did a 17 day trip in temps ranging from 20 to 75, would keep the temp setting between 68 on warmer days and 70 on colder days. I always thought the auto was only for fan speed, I do not use it and usually just set the fan on 1 or 2. The vehicle kept me comfortable to the point I never thought about how the HVAC was or was not working. 🤷🏻
There are both objective and subjective issues at play here. If someone had an R1 plus an accurate and precise means of measuring temperature then they could do some testing and see if the truck can achieve and maintain different set temperatures under different external conditions. Of course that would only tell us how that specific R1 behaves with whatever software it’s running at that time.

I think what most people care about when it comes to automatic climate control is: If I set it to a temperature which I consider to be comfortable can the vehicle keep me comfortable as external conditions change? The behavior I’m used to is that the system has several levels, let’s say 3 to keep things simple. If the measured temp is more than, say, 10 degrees off set temp then the system will use level 3 (high fan speed and highest/lowest possible air temperature), between 2 and 10 degrees off and the system will use level 2 (medium fan speed and medium heating/cooling of air temperature), and if the system is within 2 degrees of set temp then it will use level 1 (low fan speed and no or low heating/cooling of air temp). If it has achieved the set temp and is at level 1 then opening a door for an extended time when it is much colder or hotter outside will cause the system to step back up to level 2 or level 3 and then work back down to level 1. From what I’m reading on here, many people are not seeing that type of behavior and that is just my grossly simplified example of how modern climate control behaves. Better systems use many more fan speeds, better mixing of temps, sun load sensors, interior air quality sensors, etc.

One last issue is that there is no guarantee that a specific temperature which makes you comfortable in one car will make you equally comfortable in another car. There are two cars I drive regularly and both have what I consider to be good climate control because they keep me comfortable when I set the temp correctly. However, I have to set one to 70 and the other to 74 to achieve the same level of subjective comfort. I don‘t know why and I don’t really care. I just know that if setting a target temperature in one vehicle makes me comfortable that doesn’t necessarily mean that the same temperature setting has the same effect in any other vehicle. I don’t know if all of the people with HVAC issues are able to achieve comfort by simply setting a different target temperature.

tl;dr - I don’t have an R1S yet so I have to agree with you: 🤷🏻

Marchin_MTB

First Name
Marcin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 i3, 2011 Honda CRV.
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer turned Space Physicist
Clubs

There are both objective and subjective issues at play here. If someone had an R1 plus an accurate and precise means of measuring temperature then they could do some testing and see if the truck can achieve and maintain different set temperatures under different external conditions. Of course that would only tell us how that specific R1 behaves with whatever software it’s running at that time.

I think what most people care about when it comes to automatic climate control is: If I set it to a temperature which I consider to be comfortable can the vehicle keep me comfortable as external conditions change? The behavior I’m used to is that the system has several levels, let’s say 3 to keep things simple. If the measured temp is more than, say, 10 degrees off set temp then the system will use level 3 (high fan speed and highest/lowest possible air temperature), between 2 and 10 degrees off and the system will use level 2 (medium fan speed and medium heating/cooling of air temperature), and if the system is within 2 degrees of set temp then it will use level 1 (low fan speed and no or low heating/cooling of air temp). If it has achieved the set temp and is at level 1 then opening a door for an extended time when it is much colder or hotter outside will cause the system to step back up to level 2 or level 3 and then work back down to level 1. From what I’m reading on here, many people are not seeing that type of behavior and that is just my grossly simplified example of how modern climate control behaves. Better systems use many more fan speeds, better mixing of temps, sun load sensors, interior air quality sensors, etc.

One last issue is that there is no guarantee that a specific temperature which makes you comfortable in one car will make you equally comfortable in another car. There are two cars I drive regularly and both have what I consider to be good climate control because they keep me comfortable when I set the temp correctly. However, I have to set one to 70 and the other to 74 to achieve the same level of subjective comfort. I don‘t know why and I don’t really care. I just know that if setting a target temperature in one vehicle makes me comfortable that doesn’t necessarily mean that the same temperature setting has the same effect in any other vehicle. I don’t know if all of the people with HVAC issues are able to achieve comfort by simply setting a different target temperature.

tl;dr - I don’t have an R1S yet so I have to agree with you: 🤷🏻
This may be a big part of it. Subjectively, the heating in our R1T with cold exterior temps seems biased low relative to other, smaller cars I’ve driven before.

Deleted member 7086

This past Sunday drove from Tucson to Phoenix. The outside temperature was not all that hot (85 degrees) but with the glass roof AC was required. Four times the AC quit and I needed to turn it completely off to reset and then turn it on again. I have had the service center look at it in the past but they have no solutions. Hard to believe a truck this expensive does not have reliable AC. Not looking forward to this summer.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
So I’ve been pretty vocal about being annoyed by the AC and heat logic, but as of late I feel like I get it— set it on auto and forget it. It’s been warm in Los Angeles and I’ve had my climate set between 68 and 72 on auto and it’s get real cold. This morning was cold overnight and my climate was set at 72 again but instead of blowing cold it was blowing warm. I feel like I finally have a handle on it!
Sponsored