Sponsored

Hummer EV SUV - 5 seats only?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
CT has done BOTH, if you consider their that Tesla inverters, motors and power systems being used have already been around and evolving for nearly a decade. The battery pack in the CT is the only very new unknown item.
The EV components haven’t been used in rugged, off-road applications, or for meaningful towing.

And the entire platform is new with the CT — including some unusual choices for body panels and glass. Sprinkle in the typical “Tesla” issues and I would say the CT is FAR from proven.
Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
More detailed info provided by GM, they have a good marketing department.

The trail maps feature seems really cool, integrates with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and predicts battery usage for the specific trail you are on. Works offline too, for those remote areas. You need to get about half way through the video to see that feature.

bowhunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Clubs

The trail maps feature seems really cool, integrates with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, and predicts battery usage for the specific trail you are on. Works offline too, for those remote areas. You need to get about half way through the video to see that feature.
I would love to have seen more videos like this from Rivian rather than the "lifestyle" videos where we try and glean information from each video frame.

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Just in case anyone is interested in seeing the Bronco in action

Eager2own

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Rivian R1T LE
Just drove Hell’s Revenge a couple of weeks ago.
Told my wife it was more fun than when I got to do the Nurburgring a few years back.

Sponsored

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I would love to have seen more videos like this from Rivian rather than the "lifestyle" videos where we try and glean information from each video frame.
Yes, it is called marketing, but I do not think Rivian has that department yet. GM has been providing these types of videos on a regular basis since revealing the Hummer EV last October. I get an email form them each month with video links that provide details and show vehicles out testing.

One interesting tidbit from them is in a recent news article they stated they will contact reservation holders 6 months in advance of deliveries to start the sales agreement process.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Badass video & that UI is slick.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Just drove Hell’s Revenge a couple of weeks ago.
Told my wife it was more fun than when I got to do the Nurburgring a few years back.
Very cool, Moab is on my list but I've never been.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Hey Leo,

Thanks for the post: too late to save me any hassle, I have been obsessed with the issue and pestering this forum and every Rivian CS rep since Feb 2019 

Agreed for the X: too expensive for too little interior space. Members here questioned my considering of the Hummer SUV at a 24K premium when I thought it might be an 8 passenger full sizer – no way I am paying 40K more than the R1S for a MX.

I went for a van for the same reasons you did, chose the Odyssey because of the sliding second row seats, even easier than your configuration of the Sienna with the passthrough in the second row.

No one knows for the R1S second and third rows: not sure where you found out with certainty the middle 2nd row would be romvable. CS have been saying recently the 2nd row slides forward enough to allow access to the 3rd without changing the seat back recline (allowing a car seat to stay installed), considering the wheelbase, I doubt it is accurate. The best solution for guys like you and I would be for the 2nd row to be able to tilt à la Expedition/Navigator (CS confirmed the feature for a while last year, they say they do not know these days). Another way, less practical IMO, would be for the center seat to indeed be removable.

Of course, if you/I/any other poor schmuck with a boatful of kids is ready to compromise a bit on safety, you could always put your eldest on the 40% section of the second row in an unattached high back booster. You remove it at each 3rd row ingress/egress. Looking at the crash tests comparing cheap/light/removable boosters versus a quality/steel framed properly secured booster, I am not sure I will want to go that way.

Anyway, going back to the subject of this thread: bummer GMC decided to make the Hummer SUV a big Bronco, instead of a BEV Tahoe. Might have forced Rivian to make sure the 7 seats would be super usable. I hope they will anyway.
I actually had a 2014 Odyssey but when it got totaled I went for the 2019 Sienna, and I am happy with the choice.

The Odyssey was good when I needed 4 LATCH seats without compromising number of spaces and maintain 3rd row access. but since I no longer need latches, the large leeway in sliding the seats back and forth in a Sienna is magical, and it drives like a luxury car rather than an SUV.

Back on the subject, I chatted to the Reps and they were not able to commit to exact measurements, but they assured me that since the R1S is designed for a whole lot of family outdoor fun, access to the 3rd row will not be not compromised to make it easy to get in and out. I will keep pestering them about it until they are able to commit to an answer.

From RJ's post about the R1S interior, I could see that there is ample space between the beam and the seats, so I am hoping my theory is true!

Friscorays

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
G35, V8 Vantage, 4C, F type
Bummer about March 1, 2022.

Last edited:

Sponsored

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
The EV components haven’t been used in rugged, off-road applications, or for meaningful towing.

And the entire platform is new with the CT — including some unusual choices for body panels and glass. Sprinkle in the typical “Tesla” issues and I would say the CT is FAR from proven.
this is exactly why I’m very skeptical about the Cybertruck. This is exactly the kind of thing Tesla would arrogantly underestimate and get very wrong.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T