Sponsored

Hummer EV SUV - 5 seats only?

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' Pacifica PHEV, 23' 3 row Model Y
Just placed a reservation for a 1st edition Hummer EV SUV in case the R1S third row ends up unusable for my needs.

Am I understanding right GM opted to offer the SUV as a 5-seater only? I don’t see any mention of a third row anywhere…
Sponsored

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Just placed a reservation for a 1st edition Hummer EV SUV in case the R1S third row ends up unusable for my needs.

Am I understanding right GM opted to offer the SUV as a 5-seater only? I don’t see any mention of a third row anywhere…
Not challenging your choice but what about the Hummer justifies the price difference in your mind?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
None of the videos or sparse written details say anything about a 3rd row. I was curious about that as well, & specifically looked for it...

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Not challenging your choice but what about the Hummer justifies the price difference in your mind?
CarPlay. (touches nose with finger)

mkhuffman

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Mach-E GT, Jeep GC-L, VW Jetta
Competition is great, and it will make Rivian try harder to win our business. Personally my short list of must haves in a vehicle includes an opening roof and ventilated seats. Rivian does have ventilated seats, but no opening roof - yet. It has been promised, so maybe we will see it next year with the 400+ mile R1T. I hope.

Meanwhile the Hummer has removable roof panels. I prefer something that can open without having to stow, but removable panels are better for a more open top feeling. That feature is something I really want, and I am willing to pay more to get it in the Hummer. Time will tell, because a lot can change in a year. Right Rivian???

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Some additional differences that come to mind are its looks (more off-road / aggressive), Super Cruise being a tried and tested autonomous system, well known brand, the underbody cameras to help with off-roading, and Crab Walking / back wheels turning. It's a worthy competitor, but I'm sticking with the R1S.

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

I respect that things are worth what they are worth to the person paying. For a $35k difference though I was expecting something that is really materially an upgrade over the Rivian. I can do a lot of things to a Rivian for $35k. That said the Hummer definitely doesn’t suck! Ha ha It looks great!! I personally just can’t work my way to $35k premium. ...but that’s just me.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I respect that things are worth what they are worth to the person paying. For a $35k difference though I was expecting something that is really materially an upgrade over the Rivian. I can do a lot of things to a Rivian for $35k. That said the Hummer definitely doesn’t suck! Ha ha It looks great!! I personally just can’t work my way to $35k premium. ...but that’s just me.
The only pluses for the Hummer SUV over R1S are the rear steer & removable roof. R1S will have better performance, 3rd row, and a better looking vehicle IMO, all at a substantial savings.

Cool vehicle, but nowhere near the value.

Last edited:
OP
OP

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Short version: Absolutely nothing. As it stands, on paper, the R1S is a much better deal and it seems it will remain the only non-gullwing door game in town for a 7 passenger BEV.

Long rant:

I am just trying to get a 6 passenger+ electric SUV that my family of 6 will fit in (without gull wing doors). Right now, my critical factor is that all 4 of my kids are in car seats (eldest 7, youngest 3 weeks): for the R1S to work for me, the third row will need to be accessible with car seats in the second. My fingers are crossed that Rivian will have thought of that.

If they didn’t, I will have to get an ICE stop gap for the next 2-3 years.

My BEV search in 2023 should be simpler: Just as much interior space as possible. I was under the impression the Hummer EV SUV would be a ‘a full-size BEV’ with 8 passenger seating. A 500$ reimbursable reservation to get a second option to the 2023 R1S seemed like a no brainer. From what I see now, with the Hummer SUV’s considerably shortened wheelbase and zero mention of a third row, it won’t even be an option and its very unlikely it will end up being a second BEV option for large families.

For the price… Things are a bit different in Canada. Launch edition R1S is 104K CAD. Hummer EV edition 1 with extreme offroad is 128K CAD. Smaller price gap that the 77.5K vs 110K in the States. Call me crazy, but once you get to six figures, 24K doesn’t seem that much of a difference if it means having enough room for all the kiddos and our stuff. Space and usability are my main needs: more than performance and style. Moot point now anyway.

My ideal truck would be a Navigator on a Rivian skateboard…And for that, I would be ready to pay 125K CAD in a heartbeat…

Sponsored

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
Short version: Absolutely nothing. As it stands, on paper, the R1S is a much better deal and it seems it will remain the only non-gullwing door game in town for a 7 passenger BEV.

Long rant:

I am just trying to get a 6 passenger+ electric SUV that my family of 6 will fit in (without gull wing doors). Right now, my critical factor is that all 4 of my kids are in car seats (eldest 7, youngest 3 weeks): for the R1S to work for me, the third row will need to be accessible with car seats in the second. My fingers are crossed that Rivian will have thought of that.

If they didn’t, I will have to get an ICE stop gap for the next 2-3 years.

My BEV search in 2023 should be simpler: Just as much interior space as possible. I was under the impression the Hummer EV SUV would be a ‘a full-size BEV’ with 8 passenger seating. A 500$ reimbursable reservation to get a second option to the 2023 R1S seemed like a no brainer. From what I see now, with the Hummer SUV’s considerably shortened wheelbase and zero mention of a third row, it won’t even be an option and its very unlikely it will end up being a second BEV option for large families.

For the price… Things are a bit different in Canada. Launch edition R1S is 104K CAD. Hummer EV edition 1 with extreme offroad is 128K CAD. Smaller price gap that the 77.5K vs 110K in the States. Call me crazy, but once you get to six figures, 24K doesn’t seem that much of a difference if it means having enough room for all the kiddos and our stuff. Space and usability are my main needs: more than performance and style. Moot point now anyway.

My ideal truck would be a Navigator on a Rivian skateboard…And for that, I would be ready to pay 125K CAD in a heartbeat…

I feel your pain with having 4 kids all in car seats, the oldest is 8 and a set of triplets who are 6. To save you the hassle, there is no EV vehicle that is practical, those are the current EV options:

1- Model S with rear facing seats : I'm currently on my second one of those, even though its a space saver due to short overall length, but after a while some kids get tall enough to not be able to sit in the rear seats, right now only 3 of my kids can sit back there. There is no AC/Heat ducts, so that is a challenge, more in the summer than in the winter. And you get the poor quality of Tesla, and their service centers hate, and I mean HATE, dealing with rear seat configuration.

2- Model X: No thanks, more expensive than the S, less reliable, and those seats in the back are so tight, kids over 4 ft will struggle for space.

3- Model Y: Just like the X, but the 3rd row is more useless for car seats.

5- R1S: For now, this sounds like the utopian vehicle, assuming we get better quality than Tesla, with the warranty information, it seems Rivian has done their homework well.

So unfortunately we are out of luck until R1S launches. I talked to the CSR a while ago when I placed reservation and there is ample space to get to the back row. I never asked if the second row seats are 3 individual seats or 2, because we can remove the middle seat and treat the 2nd raw as captain seats like a van ( I do that with my Sienna ). Seeing as Rivian did not embed the seat belt in the seats like the Odyssey, getting into the 3rd row will be a hassle with the seatbelt in the way if they middle seat is not removable.

Sorry for the long post, but I have been fiddling with this situation for 6 years which is why I bought the Van.

OP
OP

PostMinivanDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I feel your pain with having 4 kids all in car seats, the oldest is 8 and a set of triplets who are 6. To save you the hassle, there is no EV vehicle that is practical, those are the current EV options:
Hey Leo,

Thanks for the post: too late to save me any hassle, I have been obsessed with the issue and pestering this forum and every Rivian CS rep since Feb 2019 

Agreed for the X: too expensive for too little interior space. Members here questioned my considering of the Hummer SUV at a 24K premium when I thought it might be an 8 passenger full sizer – no way I am paying 40K more than the R1S for a MX.

I went for a van for the same reasons you did, chose the Odyssey because of the sliding second row seats, even easier than your configuration of the Sienna with the passthrough in the second row.

No one knows for the R1S second and third rows: not sure where you found out with certainty the middle 2nd row would be romvable. CS have been saying recently the 2nd row slides forward enough to allow access to the 3rd without changing the seat back recline (allowing a car seat to stay installed), considering the wheelbase, I doubt it is accurate. The best solution for guys like you and I would be for the 2nd row to be able to tilt à la Expedition/Navigator (CS confirmed the feature for a while last year, they say they do not know these days). Another way, less practical IMO, would be for the center seat to indeed be removable.

Of course, if you/I/any other poor schmuck with a boatful of kids is ready to compromise a bit on safety, you could always put your eldest on the 40% section of the second row in an unattached high back booster. You remove it at each 3rd row ingress/egress. Looking at the crash tests comparing cheap/light/removable boosters versus a quality/steel framed properly secured booster, I am not sure I will want to go that way.

Anyway, going back to the subject of this thread: bummer GMC decided to make the Hummer SUV a big Bronco, instead of a BEV Tahoe. Might have forced Rivian to make sure the 7 seats would be super usable. I hope they will anyway.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, take your top off already!!! This looks like so much fun...

1617624920865.png
A cool feeling for sure, and one thing I love about my Jeep Wranglers, although I use it very seldom. Partially due to the weather down here, I prefer to remove the doors & leave the roof for shade.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Anyway, going back to the subject of this thread: bummer GMC decided to make the Hummer SUV a big Bronco, instead of a BEV Tahoe. Might have forced Rivian to make sure the 7 seats would be super usable. I hope they will anyway.
The Escalade EV will have 3 rows, but it is not coming until 2025.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a31226669/cadillac-escalade-electric-confirmed-2025/

I switched my Rivian reservation from R1T to R1S, and I also have the Hummer truck reserved, because I want the removable roof and Multipro tailgate for a truck.
Sponsored