Sponsored

Human Rights Policy Adoption

cypressroots

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Reading through annual shareholder material and was wondering if someone could give us all a simple explanation of what it means for Rivian to adopt a human rights policy, and possibly the reasoning why the board would be against it?

Keep it real.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Christopher

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Tech
Clubs

I would assume it would be quite a huge amount of effort to support this and to check every vendor/contactor/subcontractor/manufacturer/supplier/etc for compliance. It would uproot their entire operation and create excess overhead and expense.

Reactions: Guy

DuoRivians

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, MY
It’s literally impossible for Rivian to dictate or control what their supply chain does. It’s like telling people to never own guns. It ain’t happening.

Killer95Stang

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang, Falcon, F150, Flex and Explorer
Occupation
Engineer
It would drive up the end user price and production costs higher for current and future vehicles. This in turn would make it harder for the company to grow into new markets. Right now Rivian is serving a niche market, but survival requires that they become little more mainstream. Unfortunately, "feelings" don't always bring in capital and that is what Rivian needs right now. This doesn't always have to be the business model and can be implimented gradually, but these knee/ jerk decisions should have been made before the first deposit was taken, not after production is full steam ahead.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I'm not sure why/what a company would venture into those waters. Human rights is a matter at a state level. It's commendable if they would at some point but it may be too premature to adopt such a grand stance at such an early stage. You also have to keep in mind that what one nation or group of people consider human rights may not translate in an effective and cultural way to another. An American child working in a factory is abhorrent yet a child working in a poor country may be the only source of income/food for that family.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I missed the text or statement being discussed here. Does someone have a link or copy of the statement?

Not sure anyone can get materials or parts from China with a strict policy on human rights. It would be commendable but corporate suicide trying to blaze that trail alone.

vordo

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla S, Rav4 EV
Occupation
Film Music Editor
I posted about this over on Reddit - the materials basically state that Rivian isn't living up to their current promises especially around collective bargaining and work safety, and adopting the UN policy would signal that they are serious about taking care of their own. The supply chain is part of it, but it seems to me that Rivian has work to do in Normal as well.

Oldsmobile_Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FG/FE R1T recv'd 3/31/2023
Occupation
I build stuff
Clubs

Human rights are important to some consumers. Being a "niche" market, maybe they hope to attract those? Doing the right thing isn't always easy.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired
it's called good marketing and hopefully good practice.
Sponsored