Sponsored

How to use non-adaptive cruise control?

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Hey everyone,

Hoping someone here knows a trick here - I got my truck just yesterday and as I was driving off into the sunset (quite literally) I tried to use the cruise and got an error "Cameras unable to see ahead, cruise control not available".

I've heard it's a thing in some cars with adaptive cruise that there is no "normal non-adaptive" option because people could be confused and run into an object they thought the car would slow down for, but I don't know if that's the case here. In some situations I think I would prefer the nonadaptive setup because I've gotten fairly used to maintaining cruise speed and adjusting lanes as needed, whereas adaptive cruise will slow me long behind someone if they pop into my lane and I don't always want that.

Is there a way to set "standard" cruise control only? I heard maybe tow/haul disables it but I haven't had much time to try, figured I'd ask here and then if someone knows a way everyone can see it.
Sponsored

SolartoEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T VIN 269*, 2019 RAV4 Hybrid, 1999 Ford F-250
no way. Sorry my man. Maybe in the future. Someone here will argue for sure but for Rivian and the general population, adaptive cruise control is safer. It is always looking at the road, not glancing at a cell phone or grabbing a drink or yelling at the kids in the back seat. So i would imagine in Rivians eye its better just to force people to use it.

BT6434

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
One “hack” would be to try switching it to Tow mode. Although I don’t know if it’s advised to use Tow mode when not actually towing. But Tow mode enables manual cruise control since adaptive isn’t available in Tow mode.

OP
OP
Arky

Arky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru WRX STI
Can confirm tow/haul just enables normal cruise control. It doesn't really change any other behaviors (similar to all purpose except enables trailer brake control) so unless you needed to run in conserve it seems like an easy way to change cruise control modes.

When using cruise it warns you on the screen to make sure you brake manually, I don't know if that's just a warning for cruise or if AEB is disabled, so just be aware.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Can confirm tow/haul just enables normal cruise control. It doesn't really change any other behaviors (similar to all purpose except enables trailer brake control) so unless you needed to run in conserve it seems like an easy way to change cruise control modes.

When using cruise it warns you on the screen to make sure you brake manually, I don't know if that's just a warning for cruise or if AEB is disabled, so just be aware.
It also disables some safety features (like BSM and rear parking sensors) so please keep that in mind.

Sponsored

Michaewh

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 BMW i3 BEV, 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG
Occupation
Business Owner
I find adaptive cruise control unusable in foul weather or fog. “Camera unavailable” appearing within a few minutes of engagement every time it’s wet, rainy or foggy. Standard cruise control is really missed in these scenarios.

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
I find adaptive cruise control unusable in foul weather or fog. “Camera unavailable” appearing within a few minutes of engagement every time it’s wet, rainy or foggy. Standard cruise control is really missed in these scenarios.
it’s a fair point. Rivian should hear this from you as feedback to improve.

Michaewh

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 BMW i3 BEV, 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA45 AMG
Occupation
Business Owner
it’s a fair point. Rivian should hear this from you as feedback to improve.
Yes, I’ve already submitted as a service issues.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Yep, our local weather has made camera-based cruise controls pretty useless these last few weeks.

tgo10000

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
mach e, r1t, r1s
Yes, I’ve already submitted as a service issues.
though they’d probably just say cruise control shouldn’t be used in inclement weather like other manufacturers say
Sponsored