Sponsored

How to prepare my R1S to sit while I am on vacation...

MNLanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 1989 MB 560SL
My family and I are heading out of the country next weekend. My '23 R1s (VIN: 45xx) will sit in the garage while I am gone for a total of 9 days.

I definitely experience some small amounts of vampire drain so I'm wondering if I should charge to 100% the day before I leave (park her in the garage and lock the doors) or should I leave hr plugged into my Rivian home charger? I read those horror stories on the forum where people come back to dead batteries (the 12V) and then cannot charge their vehicle.

Thanks!
Sponsored

rodhx

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, 03 IS300 5spd track/autox
just leave it on the charger set to 70% or so. Mine was like that for 12 days recently while we traveled. My home schedule to set to charge 9pm-5am based on my utility rate so it just topped off every night.

edit based on later posts: I did not put it in shipping mode. You'll be fine. 😉

Last edited:

Joe Hoffman

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S & 2013 CMAX Energi Plugin
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

Why don’t you just leave it plugged in all the time while you’re gone?

You’ll also want to consider putting it into shipping mode. This will reduce battery drain. Wow it’s it’s idle.

OP
OP
MNLanger

MNLanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S, 2016 Jeep Cherokee, 1989 MB 560SL
Why don’t you just leave it plugged in all the time while you’re gone?

You’ll also want to consider putting it into shipping mode. This will reduce battery drain. Wow it’s it’s idle.
Sounds like the way to go. I wasn't sure if there were any issues with leaving her plugged in for an extended period. I'm now planning to just leave things set as they are... Scheduled charging (8:00pm - 8:00am and set for 70%).

Sponsored

HJP1

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T (sold) Lexus LS460, Cadillac XT5, Lexus IS500
Occupation
retired
I left my R1T stored for the summer and I asked Rivian service what is best, they said leave it plugged in at 70% and everything should be fine with little or no battery degradation. They also said any updates that are released when away will be available when you return.

SDH

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE; Jeep Rubicon
My family and I are heading out of the country next weekend. My '23 R1s (VIN: 45xx) will sit in the garage while I am gone for a total of 9 days.

I definitely experience some small amounts of vampire drain so I'm wondering if I should charge to 100% the day before I leave (park her in the garage and lock the doors) or should I leave hr plugged into my Rivian home charger? I read those horror stories on the forum where people come back to dead batteries (the 12V) and then cannot charge their vehicle.

Thanks!
Relax, you're only going for 9 days. Does an R1 seriously drain from 100% to 0% 9 days??? If it does, then sell it quick.

I'm out of the country for 5 weeks, if it drains all its juice in that time then I'm replacing it with a Tesla.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Relax, you're only going for 9 days. Does an R1 seriously drain from 100% to 0% 9 days??? If it does, then sell it quick.

I'm out of the country for 5 weeks, if it drains all its juice in that time then I'm replacing it with a Tesla.
Maybe you replace it with a BMW i3s which is built with carbon fiber and lost 2% charge after sitting outside 12 weeks during winter...

Rivian R1T R1S How to prepare my R1S to sit while I am on vacation... 1685716458168

Last edited:

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T
I’ve traveled 3 weeks out of the last 6. 10 days away each time. Left the truck at ~55-60% each time. FIrst trip was about 0.9% per day, 2nd was about 0.5% per day. Vampire drain on my truck has largely become a non-issue.

GG off, app closed, keys far enough away not to trigger the truck, etc.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
Just put it in "Shipping Mode" (Settings/Vehicle/Service menu), you will lose maybe 4-5kWh total over the whole 9 day vacation.
I've tested "Shipping Mode" at least four times now with test duration running between 2-5 days, and it consistently loses 0.5kWh of energy/day.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

virgnia_rivian

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mazda Miata
We were out of the country for 2 weeks in April. We left our R1T in the garage, plugged in and set to 70%. We checked our charging history and it topped off twice while we were gone.

We created a tracker website to keep tabs on our daily drain and to log efficiency. We would see 1-2% loss overnight only when it was below freezing. Now that the temps are in the 50-70's at night we're rarely seeing any loss overnight.

If you left the truck unplugged at 85% you'd likely be fine for 9 days. Just make sure it's not parked somewhere where Gear Guard is going to be constantly going off/recording.

lefkonj

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A7/Q3 R1S ordered
Clubs

in your own garage I would charge to 80% and just leave it alone. We left our R1S at JFK airport with 79% charge in the cold, and when we got back 8 days later but it was at 69%, more than enough. Some say leave it plugged in which is probably fine too.