Sponsored

How to get the Rivian Torch battery 18650 cell out?

kemxns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Raptor
Anyone have pictures on how to get the torch batter out so I can charge it from any of the myriad Lion cell chargers I already own?

For those who don't know the torch unscrews at the bottom and the 18650 is in a plastic carrier that looks fragile and is non-obvious to open for raw battery cell access. I want to see pics of opening this red and black carrier.

Rivian R1T R1S How to get the Rivian Torch battery 18650 cell out? IMG_0736
Sponsored

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Anyone have pictures on how to get the torch batter out so I can charge it from any of the myriad Lion cell chargers I already own?

For those who don't know the torch unscrews at the bottom and the 18650 is in a plastic carrier that looks fragile and is non-obvious to open for raw battery cell access. I want to see pics of opening this red and black carrier.

IMG_0736.jpeg
It's still under warranty, why not have Rivian fix it if it's broken?

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
It's still under warranty, why not have Rivian fix it if it's broken?
Knowing Rivian... "please book an appointment at your Service Center using the Rivian App" vs. just mailing a new one to the customer. This is the same company that told a customer to book and appointment at a SC to change a blown fuse even though he knew which fuse was blown and why it blew... :(

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Red cap pops off then the carrier basically falls apart. It's a pain in the ass to get back together.

Sponsored

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Knowing Rivian... "please book an appointment at your Service Center using the Rivian App" vs. just mailing a new one to the customer. This is the same company that told a customer to book and appointment at a SC to change a blown fuse even though he knew which fuse was blown and why it blew... :(
Others have reported getting replacements shipped to them I think but, yeah, I get what you're saying.

OP
OP

kemxns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Raptor
Mine is not broken. I want to charge the 18650 directly.

My use case: I'm going camping and not bringing the Rivian... but I want to bring my fancy nice torch. I want to be able to charge it while I'm on this trip. I do not want to buy more hardware to accomplish this (so I don't want to buy the proprietary rivian charging dock).

OP
OP

kemxns

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150 Raptor
Red cap pops off then the carrier basically falls apart. It's a pain in the ass to get back together.
Any chance you have a picture of that? I've cranked on the red cap pretty darn hard and nothing's budging. That's why I started this thread - if I can see the "after it's off" it would dramatically improve the chances I could get mine off without breaking it. I'm not concerned with putting it back together (I'm happy to gamble and learn, etc etc).
Sponsored