First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
kona
Occupation
real estate investor
I spoke to my financial advisor about this. He believes that there will be some sort of notification or public posting with details on how to participate. You will likely have to work with a firm associated with the IPO to purchase shares, but should be able to transfer them to your own brokerage account afterward.

I have not seen details yet about how to buy in.

I am apprehensive about this information being timely and clear due to Rivian's propensity for terrible communications.
From the document that was posted by Rivian, if I understood correctly, the date already passed, it was September 30th I believe. I'm very interested in buying pre-ipo but being my first investment of this type I'm still trying to see how to navigate this and see if there's an alternative way to get in.
Sponsored

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
Do you mean 100,000 x 75,000 to be delivered through 2024? Which would be $7.5bln/4 years. I have no clue what the vans cost or if Rivian is also selling in services or service contracts. Which as I said is a significant portion of of their valuation...

Think your information is off :)
Amazon has committed to a 100,000 vehicle purchase at 10,000/year for 10 years.

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
From the document that was posted by Rivian, if I understood correctly, the date already passed, it was September 30th I believe. I'm very interested in buying pre-ipo but being my first investment of this type I'm still trying to see how to navigate this and see if there's an alternative way to get in.
The Sept 30 date is to get access to the shares that Rivian is reserving for it's pre order holders.

The other way to get IPO share at the IPO price is to go through the underwriting brokers and the allocations they give out to their customers. Else, you would have to buy on the open market.

Last edited:

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Amazon has committed to a 100,000 vehicle purchase at 10,000/year for 10 years.
No, per the S-1 the current contract is 100k units by 2025 (unclear if end or beginning of).

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
You are coming off pretty strong for being wrong.
He is not wrong, read the S1 they filed.

100k units by 2025, Amazon has exclusive for 4 years after first delivery and first right to the vehicles for the next 2 years After that. They do have to deliver 10k in 2022.

OP
OP

royguti

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
kona
Occupation
real estate investor
The Sept 30 date is to get access to the shares that Rivian is reserving for it's pre order holders.

The other way to get IPO share at the IPO price is to go through the underwriting brokers and the allocations they give out to their customers. Else, you have to buy on the open market.
Thank you for the information @Aroohoo , I've called a couple of them (if I remember correctly JP Morgan and Morgan Stanley)per the S1 filing and they say they have nothing on Rivian and pre-IPO, probably I'm calling the wrong the department or asking the wrong questions, any pointers?

Thank you!

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Thank you for the information @Aroohoo , I've called a couple of them (if I remember correctly JP Morgan and Morgan Stanley)per the S1 filing and they say they have nothing on Rivian and pre-IPO, probably I'm calling the wrong the department or asking the wrong questions, any pointers?

Thank you!
The key is to have an established relationship. And a big sum invested with them - probably close to 7 figures at a minimum.
They give their best customers first crack.

OP
OP

royguti

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
kona
Occupation
real estate investor
The key is to have an established relationship. And a big sum invested with them - probably close to 7 figures at a minimum.
They give their best customers first crack.
Thank you @DucRider, the only thing I can offer probably a six figure investment so I just need to reach someone that can actually make the decision yes/no in the right department, right now I'm just reaching people that don't even know that the company is the underwriter for the Rivian so they just say, "we don't show anything to that nature on our systems" I'll try the other companies listed as well.

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Thank you @DucRider, the only thing I can offer probably a six figure investment so I just need to reach someone that can actually make the decision yes/no in the right department, right now I'm just reaching people that don't even know that the company is the underwriter for the Rivian so they just say, "we don't show anything to that nature on our systems" I'll try the other companies listed as well.
I wish you good luck, but if you are not an established client with a big balance, you will likely be frozen out.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I really don't want to be rude here, but not sure where the miscommunication is or why folks are disputing clearly stated documents. Maybe a reading comprehension or stubbornness issue:

"As of September 30, 2021, we had approximately 48,390 R1T and R1S preorders in the United States and Canada from customers who each paid a cancellable and fully refundable deposit of $1,000. Our commercial vehicles will initially consist of EDVs, and we plan to deliver 100,000 EDVs to Amazon by 2025."

This is a copy/paste from the S-1, not a Motortrend article posted prior to official SEC statements, actually a google search that took 10 seconds: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/19/amazon-is-purchasing-100000-rivian-electric-vans.html

He is not wrong, read the S1 they filed.

100k units by 2025, Amazon has exclusive for 4 years after first delivery and first right to the vehicles for the next 2 years After that. They do have to deliver 10k in 2022.

Last edited:

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
As a lawyer, I enjoy arguments that hinge on single words, but y’all are all wasting your own time arguing about the delivery schedule and terms of the Amazon deal.

The previous reporting has been that the contract calls for 100k vans to be delivered by 2030. The S1 says they plan to deliver 100k by 2025. Those don’t necessarily contradict each other. But by all means keep going at each other over a contract none of us will ever read.

MIG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius; R1S
I really don't want to be rude here, but not sure where the miscommunication is or why folks are disputing clearly stated documents. Maybe a reading comprehension or stubbornness issue:

"As of September 30, 2021, we had approximately 48,390 R1T and R1S preorders in the United States and Canada from customers who each paid a cancellable and fully refundable deposit of $1,000. Our commercial vehicles will initially consist of EDVs, and we plan to deliver 100,000 EDVs to Amazon by 2025."

This is a copy/paste from the S-1, not a Motortrend article posted prior to official SEC statements, actually a google search that took 10 seconds: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/19/amazon-is-purchasing-100000-rivian-electric-vans.html
Not disputing it, only pointing a source that stated what I repeated. I was wrong but relied on an earlier statement.
Sponsored