First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
As a lawyer, I enjoy arguments that hinge on single words, but y’all are all wasting your own time arguing about the delivery schedule and terms of the Amazon deal.

The previous reporting has been that the contract calls for 100k vans to be delivered by 2030. The S1 says they plan to deliver 100k by 2025. Those don’t necessarily contradict each other. But by all means keep going at each other over a contract none of us will ever read.
It is like the old telephone game where you whisper something in someone's ear and let it go down the line to see what the last person actually thought the original statement was.

The original reporting when the order was first signed was they expected to have 100K by 2024 and it was part of the Amazon plan to have the entire fleet on renewable energy by 2030.

At some point some article took those to numbers and said 100k over 10 years is 10k a year, that is an easy number to go with and everyone since has been using it.

Not arguing the point over a single word, just bringing attention to the fact that the original reporting of the agreement and what is in the S1 clearly contradicts the other reporting.
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
It is like the old telephone game where you whisper something in someone's ear and let it go down the line to see what the last person actually thought the original statement was.

The original reporting when the order was first signed was they expected to have 100K by 2024 and it was part of the Amazon plan to have the entire fleet on renewable energy by 2030.

At some point some article took those to numbers and said 100k over 10 years is 10k a year, that is an easy number to go with and everyone since has been using it.

Not arguing the point over a single word, just bringing attention to the fact that the original reporting of the agreement and what is in the S1 clearly contradicts the other reporting.
But even what you just said is its own telephone situation. The original CNBC report says Bezos _expects_, which is not the same as “the contract requires”.
So back to my original point: none of us will ever see the terms of the deal. It’s pointless to argue about it. The current _plan_ is all that’s really relevant to us. Rivian plans to finish the 100k EDV/RPV by 2025. They also plan to build R1s on a different line that should be unaffected by the van line.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
:) Back to my original point. I am not disputing the future is uncertain. That’s why we call it investing vs. printing money. Investing is usually uncertain, based on managing risk of the unknowns against released data but *IF* they deliver 100,000 vans by 2025, which is a public available released datapoint, we can extrapolate those sales as part of a valuation thesis…

The debate on this is silly. So without the bizarre and distracting additional commentary about math: the valuation at first blush is not absurd to my eyes but we’ll see if I end up buying a lot or a little.

I had a feeling I would end up down the rabbit hole taking about investing and finance, which happens to be my day job, on an internet vehicle forum, though I do work with lawyers on specific words fairly often…

But even what you just said is its own telephone situation. The original CNBC report says Bezos _expects_, which is not the same as “the contract requires”.
So back to my original point: none of us will ever see the terms of the deal. It’s pointless to argue about it. The current _plan_ is all that’s really relevant to us. Rivian plans to finish the 100k EDV/RPV by 2025. They also plan to build R1s on a different line that should be unaffected by the van line.

Last edited:

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
It's silly to try to characterize the van deal as a bad thing or as something that will slow them down. Do we really believe they'd be launching an IPO with the intent to go global right now, before establishing the R1s as a source of revenue? The van deal and the partnership probably accelerated their plans by as much as 3-5 years. Scaringe is ambitious but he isn't arrogant or reckless.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
…ambitious but he isn't arrogant or reckless.
Many folks conflate these things. Thus, we hear people making predictions about Rivian based on a lack of the latter two.

Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
@royguti

Latest update looks like Rivian is allocating shares for retail investors in addition to those reserved for pre order holders. This looks like your beat chance to get in at the IPO price if that is still what you are looking to do.

According to Bloomberg, SoFi will be managing this for Rivian:

To attract retail investors, Rivian plans to allocate a portion of its IPO to the personal finance startup SoFi Securities LLC’s online brokerage platform, the company said.

Coast2Coast

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1981 Volvo wagn; 2006 Tacoma SR5; 2021 Toy Mirai
JPMorgan Chase is one of the underwriters on the Rivian IPO. If @royguti has a six figure investment account, he can probably open a Chase Private Client account with JPMorgan Chase and, having done so, he may be able to contact the appropriate department with JPMorgan Chase to ask about buying IPO shares.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

JPMorgan Chase is one of the underwriters on the Rivian IPO. If @royguti has a six figure investment account, he can probably open a Chase Private Client account with JPMorgan Chase and, having done so, he may be able to contact the appropriate department with JPMorgan Chase to ask about buying IPO shares.
I would guess you need large 7 figures with the bank (and years/decades old relationship) to get that treatment. Just because you can become a Private Banking Client, does not make you a client who is likely to be included in this offer. If you are included, the share quantity will be very limited.

OP
OP

royguti

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
kona
Occupation
real estate investor
@Coast2Coast thank you, doesn't hurt to try.

protamine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LG R1S, 992 GTS
Occupation
CT Surgery
So how exactly do you do it? I have money in a savings account. I have my standard Fidelity 403/457 etc. Can I make a brokerage account with Fidelity or does it have to be on that preferred list? I'm new to stocks. Also, what kind of timeframe do should all this be done to be sure you dont miss? I'm sure Rivian will post a how to. Planning on the max they'll allow or 10k.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
So how exactly do you do it? I have money in a savings account. I have my standard Fidelity 403/457 etc. Can I make a brokerage account with Fidelity or does it have to be on that preferred list? I'm new to stocks. Also, what kind of timeframe do should all this be done to be sure you dont miss? I'm sure Rivian will post a how to. Planning on the max they'll allow or 10k.
Did you register for the DSP (Directed Share Program) in your Rivian account? Today is the last day to register.
https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...vian-ipo-shares-now-live-via-web-portal.2509/
Sponsored