OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I thought I was clear that I was looking for feedback on the credibility of this youtuber? The info is interesting but to be taken with a grain of salt unless the guy can cite his sources or is well known to have reliable anonymous sources. He obviously wasn't citing sources so that just leaves his credibility in question.
Sponsored

Dohmar

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Skyline R32 GTR, Subaru Forester Turbo SH9
Occupation
IT Professional
Hrm. I hope they bring the RHD R1T to Oz before 2022. Unlikely I bet.
If they're going to make another factory, smart money would be to build it in Japan or Korea. Australia doesn't have a car manufacturing industry any more and I doubt it would be cost effective to build them here. I doubt they'd need to build an entire factory just for the small issue of RHS/LHS (move the steering column, fabricate new dashboard, mirror image the steering rack - not a big job). Or perhaps the steering is by wire, in which case just make a new dashboard/firewall and thats it.

I want one now.
-D

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
For the point of why the top end tier is coming first and why this might/might not be true.

The top tier model usually has the highest profit margins, but the backlog might be more limited than we think it is, however keep in mind that the top tier model does not have 3rd row seating, while the other 2 models do. Since the mid/low trims same that seating configuration, it makes sense to have them both released on a separate timeline than the top tier.

Just my opinion though.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
For the point of why the top end tier is coming first and why this might/might not be true.

The top tier model usually has the highest profit margins, but the backlog might be more limited than we think it is, however keep in mind that the top tier model does not have 3rd row seating, while the other 2 models do. Since the mid/low trims same that seating configuration, it makes sense to have them both released on a separate timeline than the top tier.

Just my opinion though.
There are a few different ways to interpret "top tier", and people seem to be assuming it means the largest pack. It could be "fully optioned".
And as a note, this video was about the R1T which does not have 3rd row seating in any configuration.

Shzeph

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T, 2004 V70R, 2001 VehiCROSS, 2005 Forester
Occupation
Student
From what I recall, the point of releasing the most fully-loaded vehicles first is to get as much of their (Rivian’s) tech out in the wild as soon as possible. I assume they want to know about any problems ASAP, so it makes sense to me

Sponsored

805Badger

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Model X
Occupation
Physicist
They Rivian employee I spoke to at Mill Valley said that they wanted to test the production line for different options and different combinations of options, so they would be prioritizing by option levels. At least that is my recollection of the conversation.

LeoH

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RIVIAN R1S, Tesla S, MAzda CX-30, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Software Engineering Director
There are a few different ways to interpret "top tier", and people seem to be assuming it means the largest pack. It could be "fully optioned".
And as a note, this video was about the R1T which does not have 3rd row seating in any configuration.
True, I would probably assume that largest battery pack is what is meant.

As for the 3rd row, I think I did not state my point clearly, my bad. I meant to say that since both model will be sharing a lot of characteristics, it seems logical ( to me at least ) that the R1T and the 2 row R1S might have more to share with each other than the 3rd row R1S. There is definitely more complexity to add the mechanics of the 3rd row to the shared platform. I do not know any specifics, so it's nothing more than an educated guess based on my background as an engineer.

OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
I think the email Rivian just sent out formally announcing the start of their pilot production line and anticipated delivery dates (already covered in another thread) resolves my question about the credibility of this youtuber - can't trust anything he says.

Salty Sailor

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Suburban
Supposedly the configurator will have production ETAs for specific configs, so I'm hoping that drops soon & we'll have better info...especially on the R1S 135kW since that's what I'll be getting. ;-)
Do you sometimes feel that the R1S is the unloved stepchild? It seems that the R1T has had minor tweaks here and there, lots of attention to storage, etc and the R1S is just, kind of, left alone to float along.
Personally, I’d like to see it lengthened to give it more rear cargo space (it’s currently just over 7 cu/ft, my Lexus hatchback has twice that space - and I already consider that too small). I’d also like them to minimize the built in 3rd arm rests to allow wider items to be stored in the back.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
got an email from Rivian today saying first R1T deliveries would be June 2021 - R1S to start in August

Sponsored

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
Do you sometimes feel that the R1S is the unloved stepchild? It seems that the R1T has had minor tweaks here and there, lots of attention to storage, etc and the R1S is just, kind of, left alone to float along.
Personally, I’d like to see it lengthened to give it more rear cargo space (it’s currently just over 7 cu/ft, my Lexus hatchback has twice that space - and I already consider that too small). I’d also like them to minimize the built in 3rd arm rests to allow wider items to be stored in the back.
The R1S has been extended at least 2", apparently at least in part for spare tire storage. Also, you'll have a lot of space once you consider the frunk and/or fold one or both 3rd row seats.

I'm hoping those areas in the rear that you would prefer removed is where the subwoofer(s) for the premium audio package will be in mine. ;-)

iblath

First Name
Philipp
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M550d, Vauxhaul
The @Rivian video in question seems more than clickbait, but it doesn't seem particularly well informed either. My guess is an amalgamation of some inside info/whispers, some online research, and braggadocio. As aAlpine said, trying to drive traffic to a new YouTube channel.

But it's probably not all hot air. Bringing the highest margin model to market first makes sense, but I doubt that would last too long. Certainly not a year. The middle level model is the market sweet spot. The lowest level model may exist to satisfy certain state & federal regulations; in California, at present, state BEV tax credits don't apply to vehicles costing in excess of $60K. In an email from Rivian, Rivian acknowledged it was aware of this.

As for Brexit, it definitely has revenue, logistics, tax and regulatory implications. If Rivian's going to Europe, it won't set up in the UK. Given the Green New Deal the EU just adopted, one of the bigger EU economies, Germany or France, would be a likely location.
Are
The @Rivian video in question seems more than clickbait, but it doesn't seem particularly well informed either. My guess is an amalgamation of some inside info/whispers, some online research, and braggadocio. As aAlpine said, trying to drive traffic to a new YouTube channel.

But it's probably not all hot air. Bringing the highest margin model to market first makes sense, but I doubt that would last too long. Certainly not a year. The middle level model is the market sweet spot. The lowest level model may exist to satisfy certain state & federal regulations; in California, at present, state BEV tax credits don't apply to vehicles costing in excess of $60K. In an email from Rivian, Rivian acknowledged it was aware of this.

As for Brexit, it definitely has revenue, logistics, tax and regulatory implications. If Rivian's going to Europe, it won't set up in the UK. Given the Green New Deal the EU just adopted, one of the bigger EU economies, Germany or France, would be a likely location.
Are there any news about the Rivian to be available in Europe, more specifically im Germany? Appreciate some hints

OP
OP
electruck

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
Are there any news about the Rivian to be available in Europe, more specifically im Germany? Appreciate some hints
Only that Europe is on their road map. My guess based on nothing more than the fact that initial US deliveries are almost a year away is that those outside of North America are probably 2-3 years out. It will really depend on how quickly they can ramp up production.
Sponsored