Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting
So I woke up this morning and saw that I had a flat tire,

I pulled the spare wheel. Jesus, that thing is heavy. Followed instructions (Well not really, as we shall see) and jacked up the front of the truck.

Before I jacked up the truck, I loosened the lug nuts, then lifted the truck and put it in tire changoing mode.

I took off the wheel and tried to put on the spare wheel. As I was doing so, the jack buckled and settled leaning partly on the tire.

I called Rivian and sent them some pictures and they sent out to RITs in less than an hour. I live just outside Fort Lauderdale, FL

Turns out I had put the jack adaptor in the wrong hole….I know, I know. There is slight indentation for the front panel bolts that I assumed was the receptable for the jack adaptor, however, the area for the jack is covered with a plastic cover and you have to flip that off. Yes, I know, I screwed this up royally. I was extremely lucky the thing did not fall on Me.

Anyway, the Rivian guys jacked her up with a flat top 3 ton jack and replaced my wheel, so I am all set. I have an appointment in a few weeks once the Miami SC opens to assesss and hopefully just replace the plastic panel and fender and to address few other minor issues.

Thanks Rivian.

Rivian R1T R1S How NOT to change your wheel: Rivian Mobile Repair to the rescue JPEG image 2

Rivian R1T R1S How NOT to change your wheel: Rivian Mobile Repair to the rescue JPEG image 3

Rivian R1T R1S How NOT to change your wheel: Rivian Mobile Repair to the rescue JPEG image 4

Rivian R1T R1S How NOT to change your wheel: Rivian Mobile Repair to the rescue JPEG image 5
Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

It never goes well when you put it in the wrong hole. There should be better instructions for that.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Just be thankful you didn’t get hurt. That could have ended very badly! :no:

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Gladiator, Porsche GT4, and a bunch of bikes
Clubs

Yeah, it should be a little more obvious. Everyone will tell you that you should have read the directions, but if you're in the middle of the dessert with a flat tire (which is where is ALWAYS happens to me) with no reception and no way to get to the manual, then you just use your eyes and it shouldn't take a lot of thought to figure out where that should go.
Thanks for the warning though, I'll familiarize myself with it.
How was your experience getting the spare out of the well? Did you have anything in the bed?

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

It never goes well when you put it in the wrong hole. There should be better instructions for that.
My wife didn't speak to me for a month.....

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE

SRTConvert

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Lincoln Navigator L
I'd pay for a hard copy owner's manual, or ideally a shorter "emergency version" (tire changing, towing, etc.) to leave in the truck. Alternatively, you can download a copy to your phone or print a copy of key pages and leave it in the truck.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Pix of the offending areas?

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Give your "rivian" time... after a while, the wrong hole, will become... The right hole ;)

Sponsored

OP
OP
ccmun

ccmun

First Name
Silva
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T, KTM 1290
Occupation
Tech Consulting
Yeah, it should be a little more obvious. Everyone will tell you that you should have read the directions, but if you're in the middle of the dessert with a flat tire (which is where is ALWAYS happens to me) with no reception and no way to get to the manual, then you just use your eyes and it shouldn't take a lot of thought to figure out where that should go.
How was your experience getting the spare out of the well? Did you have anything in the bed?
Getting the spare out is easy….if you follow directions and remove the spindle in the middle that is used to bolt the cover down. If you don’t want to remove the spindle, pop the cover all the way up and lift the tire over it, but that’s heavy and a pain unless you have help.
I am grateful this happened on my driveway and not on the side of a highway and or out on a trail. At least now I know how to do it properly.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The manual is literally part of the truck's infotainment and doesn't require service to get to it. It really could not get easier as you can use the search to find the relevant topics.

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

The manual is literally part of the truck's infotainment and doesn't require service to get to it. It really could not get easier as you can use the search to find the relevant topics.
I get that, and you are right. Btw, just about every car in 2022 has the manual in the infotainment. My point is, you shouldn’t have to refer to a manual to change a tire. Expecting the tow truck guy to read your manual is also a pipe dream btw.

trez63

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

Getting the spare out is easy….if you follow directions and remove the spindle in the middle that is used to bolt the cover down. If you don’t want to remove the spindle, pop the cover all the way up and lift the tire over it, but that’s heavy and a pain unless you have help.
I am grateful this happened on my driveway and not on the side of a highway and or out on a trail. At least now I know how to do it properly.
Good to know. You still have to unload the bed, remove the cross bars, and your overland tent and gear to get to it. Not trying to be negative, but all the adventure footage of the truck does boast its overland capabilities and I can’t count the flats I’ve had to repair and change out while over landing over the years. I think the best solution for those doing a lot of off road is to mount the spare above all your gear and plan properly. You can the. Use the spare compartment for additional storage.
Sponsored