Sponsored

How much would you pay to use Teslas Supercharger network?

UT Rivian

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMWM2
Friend of mine drove his family down to southern Utah over the holiday weekend for a soccer tournament. He had to wait in line for one of the Tesla superchargers between Salt Lake and St. George. Obviously opening this to Rivians wouldn’t change the need much at the beginning, but with all the Teslas on the roads these days, it would seem like this will be more and more difficult.
Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I’m confused why you felt you had to say I was wrong when I wasn’t, only to then re-state what I already said?
Chillax dude. You said you don’t know Tesla lingo. “Destination” charging means you need to charge to/from destinations vs “at” a destination. It’s about road trips. Something Tesla figured out early on was essential to marketing an EV vehicle in a non-EV world. So they built it. Say what you want about Elon, but IMO this portion of their strategy was pure genius.

I’m tainted/spoiled by my Tesla charging experience. Maybe I’m in a minority here, but I’ve grown to expect that if I need to get from point A to point B anywhere in the continental US, finding L3 chargers should not be an issue. It’s getting there for non-Tesla infrastructure, but still has some major black holes.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I believe in Tesla lingo, "destination charging" means at the destination, not in transit between (that would be supercharging). Browsing the map, they look like they're typically up to 16kW chargers, so most likely Level 2 in not-Tesla lingo.

Source: https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

What Tesla markets as destination charging is actually the exact opposite
https://www.tesla.com/destination-charging
What @slawwach said...Destination charging is used when you will be somewhere for multiple hours(malls, museums, restaurant, etc). Superchargers are for road trips outside of your normal commute.

Quick rant...

The Supercharger network was never intended to be used for the durations that I see people sitting at them for. The intention behind supercharging is to either get you to your NEXT supercharger or to get you to your final destination with JUST ENOUGH charge AS QUICKLY as possible. Sitting at a supercharger for 45-90 minutes is not necessary....I have a 2017 75 MS(229 at 100% SOC) and the longest I have sat at a charger was 30 minutes and that is only because I went for a walk...15 minutes was all that was required to get to the next stop.

...end

Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE