Sponsored

How much would you invest in a Rivian IPO (if given the opportunity)?

• $0

Votes: 13 4.8%
  • Up to $1K

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Up to $5K

Votes: 59 21.6%
  • Up to $10K

Votes: 84 30.8%
  • Up to $25K

Votes: 42 15.4%
  • Up to $50K

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • $50K+

Votes: 38 13.9%

• Total voters

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
I almost bailed at 60, figuring I could likely buy back later. In hindsight, that would have been a good move. But since I'm in for the long term, not worried.
Don't forget about taxes, that can offset some pretty big swings, depending on your bracket when it's not long term/cap gains.
Sponsored

OP
OP

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Don't forget about taxes, that can offset some pretty big swings, depending on your bracket when it's not long term/cap gains.
In my Roth - so no taxes on any gains :)

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I YOLOed Gamestop. I'm all-in. Of course it would be the stupidest thing I've ever done that kind of looks like it's going to pan out, possibly in an absurd way. So yeah, hopefully lots of Rivian shares in my future. Prior to the IPO, I like Lucid, Fisker and Arrival (spac is $CIIC). Arrival is basically Rivian's Amazon deal but UPS. Hoping this $GME stuff is done before their merger lands.

Sure would be a nice incentive if buying our LE preorders in cash gave us access to some stock options @ relevant Rivian people who read this forum.

Sponsored

Trandall

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2023 Mach-E
Occupation
Construction Management
if Rivian wants to build some street cred' and grow a cult following my vote is forget IPO go direct listing... make it even for all... unless they are scared. ?!

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I bought F (Ford) as an indirect initial investment. It’s already up 26%
I bought just over $25,000 worth of Ford in 1991. It plummeted in the four years I held it. Traded it (an SHO) in for an Acura Legend in 1995. Not much better as an "investment", but it still runs.?

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
Talking to my financial advisor about this, she recommended investing the same in an IPO as the cost of the vehicle. I certainly wish I had done this with my Tesla. So that's the plan. Not buying for a short turn, but long term holding it.

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Talking to my financial advisor about this, she recommended investing the same in an IPO as the cost of the vehicle. I certainly wish I had done this with my Tesla. So that's the plan. Not buying for a short turn, but long term holding it.
That's what I did for the Cybertruck. Barely in time... my EV truck (R1T or Cybertruck) is already paid for now.

Was fun while the EV stock market was going nuts. :)

The downside to your advisor's advice is: if you lose the investment, you don't get a vehicle.(that's how I justified such a large, potentially risky, investment. YMMV.) For instance, I'm really glad I didn't have enough to invest in Nikola, too.

Last edited:

Sponsored

PAFDenver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Baja
Occupation
retired
That's certainly one way to (hopefully) get a "free" truck! Congrats!
Her philosophy was more along the lines of "If you believe in the company enough to spend $X to buy their vehicle, you should believe enough to invest $X in their stock."
I certainly wish I had done that when I bought my model S! And while I have no delusions that Rivian's stock will mirror what TSLA did, I do believe it's a good investment for a long term (many years) hold.
Looking at what percentage of car sales are for trucks or SUVs in just the US, the driving factors to move to electrification and the political environment I think Rivian is very well poised to become a strong car company within a decade or so. It seems like there is a big market for well designed electric trucks & SUVs and Rivian will be the first to offer them, or certainly one of the first. And it appears they are following Tesla's model - introduce high end vehicles initially to gain a foothold in the market, and then move into the mainstream space. But it also seems like that "mainstream" trucks are more expensive that "mainstream" passenger cars, so the price target should be easier to hit for trucks.
BTW, this is purely my opinion and no one should EVER follow my advice on investing! :)

denyo69

First Name
Danil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
no car at the moment
Occupation
Consultant