Sponsored

How much would you invest in a Rivian IPO (if given the opportunity)?

• $0

Votes: 13 4.8%
  • Up to $1K

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Up to $5K

Votes: 59 21.6%
  • Up to $10K

Votes: 84 30.8%
  • Up to $25K

Votes: 42 15.4%
  • Up to $50K

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • $50K+

Votes: 38 13.9%

• Total voters

fromawayfarm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Kona EV
I like DuckTruck's idea... a lot......
In fact I think I would be inclined to put a bit more into "anticipatory escrow" holding than I might otherwise invest. I think there is some weird psychological thing going on in my head where I would readily commit if I was guaranteed to get in with IPO shares/prices.
I am a relatively small (and naïve) investor and not sure I would be able to get into the IPO any other way. Waiting for the IPO to happen and then buying on the exchange would put me in a position to invest with "too much" information. If the price made immediate gains I would be disappointed that I missed out on the "IPO" and feel the upside was now just a bit diminished. And if the price fell some after the initial hype and was trading cheaper I would be concerned that maybe I should wait until it hits bottom. I know both of the thoughts have been proved to be invalid multiple times in history, but that is how my mind works. I am an emotional investor.
That being said I am also a bit of a "collector", once I do commit to a purchase I generally hang on for a long time (sometimes too long) so once I committed to the mythical "pre-order holder advanced IPO reservation via escrow" scheme I would be in for the long haul and am generally less concerned about short term performance.
RJ and crew if you are reading this (I really do hope you guys peruse these threads because there are often good points made) I will commit to writing two identical checks when I finalize my order in a few months. One for the purchase of the vehicle and a equivalent amount toward an IPO stock purchase. Call me!
Sponsored

tx_rivian

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
It would be great if they allow launch edition holders an option to buy before IPO. AirBnB allowed their hosts to participate in IPO .
Only limited amount of hosts were able to participate. I am a host and was not able to participate.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
It's worth noting that if you're not an accredited investor (over $1M net worth or some other potential qualifying criteria), then you're capped at somewhere around $2K for investments like this.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
It's worth noting that if you're not an accredited investor (over $1M net worth or some other potential qualifying criteria), then you're capped at somewhere around $2K for investments like this.
When Rivian finally goes public there is no such restriction on buying shares at market price.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
When Rivian finally goes public there is no such restriction on buying shares at market price.
Correct, this would be for a pre IPO option for customers.

Sponsored

fromawayfarm

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Forester, Kona EV
Interesting...
May I ask for clarification?
Again, see previous note about me being a bit naïve when it comes to investing, but I do not see how this would be an unregistered investment. Wouldn't the IPO be "registered"? The escrow is not really an investment, just a holding pattern waiting for the IPO details to be hammered out and it to be executed.
Second, does simply meeting the criteria make you accredited or is some other "application process" involved?

davrow_R1T

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Toyota Siennas
Interesting...
May I ask for clarification?
Second, does simply meeting the criteria make you accredited or is some other "application process" involved?
The basic criteria are $1,000,000 in net assets (excluding home) or $200,000 a year income. It is up to the investment to prove you are qualified, so "application process" varies by investment.

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

jakef801

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'16 Tundra/'18 Audi S6/'19 Rubicon/'22 R1T
I'm registered and qualified with a Pre-IPO firm. If I can get in ahead of actual IPO, I will be dropping $10k - $20k for sure.

n8dgr8

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, Volvo XC 90
Occupation
Engineer
I usually like to wait a couple of months after IPO. Some IPOs don't go that well... Peleton, WeWork, Uber, Lyft. Minimizes the risk, even when buying really great companies.

I wish the best to Rivian and am really looking forward to the R1T.

Sponsored

jopa

First Name
Josef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB
Hi Guys, where and when can I invest in Rivian Pre-IPO's? Thanks!

devnr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 45e, GX460, Tacoma, Accord
Pre-IPOs usually require a minimum of $100k investment, depending on who's the broker. And may have restrictions on how long you have to wait to sell after an IPO.

Kat

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I good reminder...

Tesla Inc. (TSLA) made its stock market debut in 2010, with an initial public offering (IPO) priced at $17/sh.1 If you had invested $1,000 in the IPO, you would have purchased 58 shares of the electric car maker. The company has not announced any stock splits or dividends. Keeping that in mind, with the current share price (as of July 31, 2020) of $1,430.76, those 58 shares would now be worth $82,984,08 That means a 8,198% increase in value.

https://www.investopedia.com/articl...ould-have-invested-right-after-teslas-ipo.asp
Got Tesla at $32 right around the time I test drove the Model S .... my Tesla stock is buying my R1S; a much needed upgrade to my 2013 Model S! Can’t wait to get my hands on Rivian stock!?

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

I like DuckTruck's idea... a lot......
In fact I think I would be inclined to put a bit more into "anticipatory escrow" holding than I might otherwise invest. I think there is some weird psychological thing going on in my head where I would readily commit if I was guaranteed to get in with IPO shares/prices.
I am a relatively small (and naïve) investor and not sure I would be able to get into the IPO any other way. Waiting for the IPO to happen and then buying on the exchange would put me in a position to invest with "too much" information. If the price made immediate gains I would be disappointed that I missed out on the "IPO" and feel the upside was now just a bit diminished. And if the price fell some after the initial hype and was trading cheaper I would be concerned that maybe I should wait until it hits bottom. I know both of the thoughts have been proved to be invalid multiple times in history, but that is how my mind works. I am an emotional investor.
That being said I am also a bit of a "collector", once I do commit to a purchase I generally hang on for a long time (sometimes too long) so once I committed to the mythical "pre-order holder advanced IPO reservation via escrow" scheme I would be in for the long haul and am generally less concerned about short term performance.
RJ and crew if you are reading this (I really do hope you guys peruse these threads because there are often good points made) I will commit to writing two identical checks when I finalize my order in a few months. One for the purchase of the vehicle and a equivalent amount toward an IPO stock purchase. Call me!
Steve, Thanks for your response and both the way you expressed your feelings and laid out your thoughts for how this might work. You articulated pretty much the way I feel about this. I suspect many of the Early Rivolutionaries would also love the chance to jump in with Rivian.

The opportunity to get in before it's available to the public actually means more to me/makes me feel even better than the thought of simply waiting for a potential dip to buy the stock. Call it emotion, ego, or silly pride, being a stakeholder from the beginning just feels right. In an odd way, it's a similar feeling that led me to the Launch Green for my R1T.

Like you, I'm looking to see exactly what steps are needed to become qualified, as referenced here by others. It may be just a dream, but it's incumbent upon each of us to know what specific steps are needed for this to even be a possibility.

I always hope that the company monitors these threads and that this one, in particular, is being read by many on the inside.

Thanks again and have a great week!

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Pre-IPOs usually require a minimum of $100k investment, depending on who's the broker. And may have restrictions on how long you have to wait to sell after an IPO.
devnr, Thanks to you, skyote and the others for the input as to what it takes to qualify for participation in an IPO. I'm finding much in the way of differences between brokers, including the levels of participation available. Honestly, I've followed hundreds of them over the years, but have never been interested in being a part of one, until now.

I'm sure the specific rules and other details will depend greatly on who handles the offering for Rivian. Regardless of who that is, it would be nice to have the opportunity to participate. Something just feels right about this Adventure.
Sponsored