Sponsored

How much would you invest in a Rivian IPO (if given the opportunity)?

• $0

Votes: 13 4.8%
  • Up to $1K

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • Up to $5K

Votes: 59 21.6%
  • Up to $10K

Votes: 84 30.8%
  • Up to $25K

Votes: 42 15.4%
  • Up to $50K

Votes: 19 7.0%
  • $50K+

Votes: 38 13.9%

• Total voters

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
If you could get in on a potential IPO, how much would you be willing/able to invest?

I'd likely put a chunk of Roth money as well as some from an investment account.
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I won't risk any of my retirement, but I'd make an investment through my taxable brokerage.

Mjhirsch78

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Odyssey became an R1T: MAGIC!
Occupation
Teacher
$5k can be a fun investment that won't harm the kid college and retirement funds, but could potentially outperform them, heh

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
At what price?

There is such a demand for BEV stock. I imagine the "hype" will be "priced in" to the share price underwriters bring it to market. Rivian is also not entering the same market Tesla entered back in the day. The legacy OEMs will defend their truck and SUV space in ways they did not defend the sedan space.

Last edited:

tribeoverland

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Land Rover LR4
Occupation
Industrial Designer
I good reminder...

Tesla Inc. (TSLA) made its stock market debut in 2010, with an initial public offering (IPO) priced at $17/sh.1 If you had invested $1,000 in the IPO, you would have purchased 58 shares of the electric car maker. The company has not announced any stock splits or dividends. Keeping that in mind, with the current share price (as of July 31, 2020) of $1,430.76, those 58 shares would now be worth $82,984,08 That means a 8,198% increase in value.

https://www.investopedia.com/articl...ould-have-invested-right-after-teslas-ipo.asp

Sponsored

fromSf

First Name
m
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus Rx450H, 2023 Genesis GV60
It would be great if they allow launch edition holders an option to buy before IPO. AirBnB allowed their hosts to participate in IPO .

RforRivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 4Runner, 2014 Equinox
Honestly I might would just cancel my pre-order and invest the $1,000 for a year or two then pull it out and put it toward a Rivian at that point.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
My wife and I have a ways to go until retirement, so we might take on more of a risk with this ($25 - 50k). Not only does Rivian have a niche market (adventure vehicles) cornered, they're also working with the largest online retailer on the planet to exclusively build a fleet of electric vans. The upside, even accounting for legacy automaker competition, is immense.

OP
OP

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
I good reminder...

Tesla Inc. (TSLA) made its stock market debut in 2010, with an initial public offering (IPO) priced at $17/sh.1 If you had invested $1,000 in the IPO, you would have purchased 58 shares of the electric car maker. The company has not announced any stock splits or dividends. Keeping that in mind, with the current share price (as of July 31, 2020) of $1,430.76, those 58 shares would now be worth $82,984,08 That means a 8,198% increase in value.

https://www.investopedia.com/articl...ould-have-invested-right-after-teslas-ipo.asp
TSLA had a 5 for 1 split, and is trading a little above $800 today
Cost basis of $3.40 ($17/5) to a (as of this moment) $802 share price is a 23,588% gain.

In your example, those original 58 shares ($986) would now be 258 shares worth $232,580

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I bought TSLA in 2011 at $23 and sold it at $125 in 2013. Luckily, I got out at the top, right before they were recognized as overvalued by the rest of the market, and I refuse to acknowledge any other reality.
If it makes you feel any better, I bought one Tesla stock when it was $200 last summer and it's $800 now, but all I can think about is "if only I had invested $2000 or $20,000 ... ". Hindsight is a b*tch! :CWL:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Honestly I might would just cancel my pre-order and invest the $1,000 for a year or two then pull it out and put it toward a Rivian at that point.
Think about how much wealth the early adopters of Tesla vehicles gave up by buying the Model S instead of Tesla's stock. While those vehicles have done well in retaining decent values, the same amount invested in the stock at that time might allow them to buy a decent, lightly-used County.

That said, it would be a real treat if Rivian rewarded their early adopters for taking a leap of faith with a deposit for the promise of an unseen vehicle that was years away from hitting the market. Since it appears that the L.E. purchase process will likely be finalized prior to an IPO, perhaps Rivian could do the following: After the purchase agreement is executed, and before the IPO is finalized, the buyer would be allowed to transfer up to a certain amount of money into an escrow account of sorts awaiting the IPO. When the IPO is executed, the commensurate number of shares would be assigned to those who opted in.

I assume the same rules that normally govern IPOs would apply and those within this pool would have to wait between 90 and 180 days if they wanted to sell any or all of their holdings. In the grand scheme of things, this amount would likely be a very, very small fraction of the IPO, but what a great opportunity for all to grow the connection between the company and their very first customers. Although it might be a bit of a stretch to expect the 23,000+% 10-year return noted previously, I think Rivian could be a solid long-term hold.

Last edited:

Big_Ike

First Name
Ike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 MYP, '22 R1T, '23 R1S
Occupation
Parenting
Clubs

I'm probably dating myself a bit, but I think in round lots, so I'd want 100 or 200 shares if it wasn't priced too aggressively.