Sponsored

How much do you pay for energy to charge at home?

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
$0.07/kw 24/7 in Pittsburgh, PA.
Guess you don't have WestPenn Power. As of June 1st WPP base rate went from 0.05667/kwh to .08198/kwh. There are also additional distribution and service support charges that add an additional .044931/kwh. Not sure if those additional charges changed on June 1, but if not then the total cost in SW PA for WPP is .126911/kwh. Plus $7.83/month in fixed charges.
Sponsored

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
0.107901/kWh all the time in Chattanooga, TN.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
What kind of annual energy do you get from an 8kW system in AZ? I guess a lot more than Portland. Almost the end of my first year I think I will be at 9-10 MWh with my 8kW system facing south.
In Orange County, CA I have a 6.29 kw system that went live August 16th last year, in just under 10 months it has generated 8.1 MWh.

OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
R1T Launch, R1S Canyon Red
Clubs

OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

What kind of annual energy do you get from an 8kW system in AZ? I guess a lot more than Portland. Almost the end of my first year I think I will be at 9-10 MWh with my 8kW system facing south.
I made 54kW today in AZ. 8kW Tesla system, South facing.

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
We add about 40-50 miles per day to the Rivian via excess solar production (depending upon the AC use here in the desert).....If I would have known I would have doubled the size of my solar system.
That's about 27 kWh/d which would be over 2 hours full sun equivalent (hFSE) with my 13 kw system. I'm sure you are better off in AZ than I am in VA but I only average about 3.5 hFSE/da in December here in VA but it appears it is doable (with a 13 kW system).

You may be able to add on if you have someplace to put the panels and if your utility doesn't limit you as to how much you can have if you are on the grid.

OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

That's about 27 kWh/d which would be over 2 hours full sun equivalent (hFSE) with my 13 kw system. I'm sure you are better off in AZ than I am in VA but I only average about 3.5 hFSE/da in December here in VA but it appears it is doable (with a 13 kW system).

You may be able to add on if you have someplace to put the panels and if your utility doesn't limit you as to how much you can have if you are on the grid.
I'm utilizing a combination of panel production and battery supply from the Powerwalls, so I can utilize the full 11kW charge rate for the truck. Once my batteries reach approximately 8O% (or more) if I'm home I'll plug the the truck in. By that time of the day right now I'd be producing about 7.3kWh on the panels. 7kWh coming off of solar and the remaining from the batteries.

I need 55% in the batteries to make it through the night (off grid) to run mini split AC, pool pump motors and the remainder of the home, so I turn off my gas station when batteries reach approximately 40%. Remaining sun recharges to 55%+ threshold. I need software to control all of this not me ;). For now it's fun. We like being off grid in suburbia.

On days the Rivian needs a substantial charge I time the charge via the Rivian software from 11pm to 5am at $0.064 or $0.071 (all in). 14kW+ solar and I'd have a gas station and be off the grid 24/7. Prior to the truck we were 93% off grid 24/7 the last year.

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
I have a 2 tier rate structure but it averages out to around $.10/kWh. I can't be on the TOD plan since I have a grid tied PV system (14.1 KW). The good news for me is that they are still doing net metering, and the grid here is extremely stable, so no need for battery backups.

Spork8

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I actually had this conversation with a friend that is getting an EV this year because our energy provider raised rates on June 1st.

Currently we are both in what they call the "Summer Rate" with these rates that do not include transmission or other fees:
The actual rates during summer months (June 1 through September 30) will be $0.149255/kWh on weekdays from 2 to 7p.m. and $0.100079/kWh for all other times of the day and on weekends. During non-summer months, there will be a flat rate of $0.098734/kWh

Now, if we got a level 2 charger like the Rivian Wall Charger or one of the wall chargers that are applicable for a $500 rebate (Rivian Wall Charger is eligible for a $10/month credit) then we would be put on the "Nighttime Savers" rate.
Rivian R1T R1S How much do you pay for energy to charge at home? 1654522572570

Not looking forward to being forced into this Nighttime Savers plan. Evidently, you get thrown into it if you have a load of 10kW or more at any time.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Xcel quoted me at $0.059 off peak (9pm - 6 am) with a $13 monthly fee that pays for the EVSE. Still trying to get it set up.

This graphic on their website suggest you can get 0.028 off peak, possibly in Minnesota?
Rivian R1T R1S How much do you pay for energy to charge at home? 1654523469140

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
I'm utilizing a combination of panel production and battery supply from the Powerwalls, so I can utilize the full 11kW charge rate for the truck. Once my batteries reach approximately 8O% (or more) if I'm home I'll plug the the truck in. By that time of the day right now I'd be producing about 7.3kWh on the panels. 7kWh coming off of solar and the remaining from the batteries.
My standard tip for people using Powerwalls and PV is to NOT take anything from the Powerwalls to charge the BEV if you can avoid it. Using your numbers you would dial the charging rate back to 7 kW if you have 7 kW solar left over after all other loads are accounted for. In this way the entire excess solar production goes to the car batteries - not the Powerwalls and the BEV charge is NOT subject to round trip losses, Note that Tesla claims these are 10% but in reality they are more like 20 - 30% (depending on loads).

..so I turn off my gas station when batteries reach approximately 40%.
I can't figure out what your "gas station" is in this context

OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

Reviewing some of these rates (excellent) makes me angry at the numerous media articles that state, 'it really isn't much less costly to fuel an EV vs ICE vehicles'. All the time omitting the fact that most every EV owner charges at home with rates multiple times lower than fuel, not at DC fast charging stations. They know exactly what they are doing.....

OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

My standard tip for people using Powerwalls and PV is to NOT take anything from the Powerwalls to charge the BEV if you can avoid it. Using your numbers you would dial the charging rate back to 7 kW if you have 7 kW solar left over after all other loads are accounted for. In this way the entire excess solar production goes to the car batteries - not the Powerwalls and the BEV charge is NOT subject to round trip losses, Note that Tesla claims these are 10% but in reality they are more like 20 - 30% (depending on loads).
Rivian charge controller won't adjust feed rate automatically to a lower requested charge rate. You'd have to flip dip switches to accomplish this twice per day. Your idea above would be ideal, but the losses don't really factor in monetarily for me when I can remain almost 100% off grid while using the BEV system. Your idea is ideal though.

Turn off the gas station referred to unplugging from my gas station (combined energy storage and PV production).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
EE Retired
Rivian charge controller won't adjust feed rate automatically to a lower requested charge rate. You'd have to flip dip switches to accomplish this twice per day.
No, no automation so if you really want to follow the sun you have to maually adjust the charge rate with the app which gets old fast. What I am able to do and get quite close to the ideal is to schedule the charge (at, e.g., 09:30) at a rate (e.g. 8.5 kW) that is a little ave what you expect the production to be (e.g. 8 kW) at the start time. When the charge starts you are in the red for a while but fairly quickly get into the green as the sun rises, This doesn't work very well on cloudy/rainy days but you can always adjust on those days if you want to.

...but the losses don't really factor in monetarily for me when I can remain almost 100% off grid while using the BEV system.
The motivation isn't to conserve $ here but rather hFSE (which are limited in December just when they are needed for heating) and charge/discharge cycles which wear out the batteries.

OP
OP
Mark_AZR1T

Mark_AZR1T

Site Sponsor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
jackpucks.com
Vehicles
Clubs

No, no automation so if you really want to follow the sun you have to maually adjust the charge rate with the app which gets old fast. What I am able to do and get quite close to the ideal is to schedule the charge (at, e.g., 09:30) at a rate (e.g. 8.5 kW) that is a little ave what you expect the production to be (e.g. 8 kW) at the start time. When the charge starts you are in the red for a while but fairly quickly get into the green as the sun rises, This doesn't work very well on cloudy/rainy days but you can always adjust on those days if you want to.
In the desert summers we fully charge and nearly discharge every single day, so either way we're cycling from full to nearly empty, so until then it makes sense to utilize the fueling capacity to it's highest levels. My concern isn't battery cycles of charge and discharge with this PV/BEV system. The goal is absolute useability of the entire production and storage capacity. In 8 years I'll reevaluate with panel and battery efficiencies increasing dramatically. It makes little sense to me to handicap production for 8 years based upon battery degradation challenges from cycling.
Sponsored