Sponsored

How many KW is the new dual motor max pack?

OP
OP

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I'd bet that it's the same number of modules, but higher density since it fits in the R1S.
The R1s had no room for 2 more modules in the skateboard?

Even higher density (4800 vs 5000) is only 4% more capacity. It might be more denser packing too; who knows.

You're right though, it's probably the same battery in both trucks.

EDIT: Looking here there's no space: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/max-vs-large-battery-physical-location.2039/#post-53359
Sponsored

OP
OP

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
New post today. Now it says "up-to", I'm thinking it won't be over 400.

Rivian R1T R1S How many KW is the new dual motor max pack? 1680135841359

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

New post today. Now it says "up-to", I'm thinking it won't be over 400.

1680135841359.png
I think that's just because the range is tire dependent. It likely won't be much over 400 but I would put money that they hit that target.

OP
OP

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I think that's just because the range is tire dependent. It likely won't be much over 400 but I would put money that they hit that target.
Gotcha. So, I'm still scratching my head on pack size.

350 miles = 135kwh = large pack

400 miles = (135 / 350 ) * 400 = 154kwh = Max park. Maybe 156kwh for weight.

Still the best I have going now.

My only "hope" is they are doing 165kwh with more headroom than the amount they left for the large pack. I think they did 133kwh usable on the 135k.

Efficiency helps for range, but for towing range it's primarily a bulk battery exercise.

Bigger battery also should help the charging rate miles per minute exercise (lower C rate).

R1T Preds Fan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Warehouse Management
All the data I believe Kyle from OOS found after the range increase released found 127-128kWh usable on the 135kWh large packs… I don’t see anyone going that far into the usable density of the pack just for battery health and management… Prior to the range increase he found just under/around 125kWh usable when it first released… I don’t see Rivian releasing much over the 130 mark in the long run on these large pack batteries…

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Gotcha. So, I'm still scratching my head on pack size.

350 miles = 135kwh = large pack

400 miles = (135 / 350 ) * 400 = 154kwh = Max park. Maybe 156kwh for weight.

Still the best I have going now.

My only "hope" is they are doing 165kwh with more headroom than the amount they left for the large pack. I think they did 133kwh usable on the 135k.

Efficiency helps for range, but for towing range it's primarily a bulk battery exercise.

Bigger battery also should help the charging rate miles per minute exercise (lower C rate).
Yeah, anyone that needs an EV for heavy towing long distances isn't going to be happy with the max pack range on the Rivian. The Silverado and Sierra are likely to be the segment leaders for that when GM starts shipping them. I expect them to be even better than the Cybertruck because the aerodynamic advantage it might have being a wedge shape is actually worse for towing if your load sticks up into the wind.

OP
OP

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
All the data I believe Kyle from OOS found after the range increase released found 127-128kWh usable on the 135kWh large packs… I don’t see anyone going that far into the usable density of the pack just for battery health and management… Prior to the range increase he found just under/around 125kWh usable when it first released… I don’t see Rivian releasing much over the 130 mark in the long run on these large pack batteries…
Epa testing docs suggest 127-128-139-130
I think you're right. Motortrend said 133kwh in my first googling, but it was wrong.

Looking for 2023 EPA docs, they certified at recharges around 127-130 depending on the test. Yes, EPA rates them also on total charge energy which I could care less about :)

Rivian R1T R1S How many KW is the new dual motor max pack? 1680139855523

OP
OP

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Yeah, anyone that needs an EV for heavy towing long distances isn't going to be happy with the max pack range on the Rivian. The Silverado and Sierra are likely to be the segment leaders for that when GM starts shipping them. I expect them to be even better than the Cybertruck because the aerodynamic advantage it might have being a wedge shape is actually worse for towing if your load sticks up into the wind.
In general, the less the vehicle achives it's range with aerodynamic efficiency, they better. That's why F150/Rivian do so well in bad conditions (high speed, towing) is because their is more "waste" already baked in. Something like the hummer with a huge-ass battery would probably have a much lower tower derating.

OP
OP

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
New math:

350 miles = 128 usable kwh = large pack

400 miles = (128/ 350 ) * 400 = 146kwh (usable) = Max park.

They could be pulling that off with 1 module (150kwh pack). Or maybe 155 if it's more energy dense.

But where is that going in the R1S?

If they are indeed pulling that off with 165kwh -- again, where would this fit in the R1S, and do they just lock up the extra kwh again?

Shrug.

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
New math:

350 miles = 128 usable kwh = large pack

400 miles = (128/ 350 ) * 400 = 146kwh (usable) = Max park.

They could be pulling that off with 1 module (150kwh pack). Or maybe 155 if it's more energy dense.

But where is that going in the R1S?

If they are indeed pulling that off with 165kwh -- again, where would this fit in the R1S, and do they just lock up the extra kwh again?

Shrug.
Only time will tell, but if the Max pack is only around these hypothesized sizes I don't see how they can justify it being $10k more than the large pack. That would be highway robbery. I'd pay 10k more for 180kw, but not for less than that.

Sponsored

R1T Preds Fan

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Warehouse Management
Only time will tell, but if the Max pack is only around these hypothesized sizes I don't see how they can justify it being $10k more than the large pack. That would be highway robbery. I'd pay 10k more for 180kw, but not for less than that.
Agreed, I think we are going to go the other direction with an S, and get the dual with the Lfp battery as it will have a higher daily range than our T at 70-80% and not worry with trying to spend crazy amounts of money for such small high end battery capacity ranges that we’d only use a handful of times…

Throwdown

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1t launch edition#2650
Occupation
Technician
Agreed, I think we are going to go the other direction with an S, and get the dual with the Lfp battery as it will have a higher daily range than our T at 70-80% and not worry with trying to spend crazy amounts of money for such small high end battery capacity ranges that we’d only use a handful of times…
Better charging curve would render the Max pack almost useless during road trips as well. Kinda talking about it in the OTA thread now.

OP
OP

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
Better charging curve would render the Max pack almost useless during road trips as well. Kinda talking about it in the OTA thread now.
Agreed, but I don't know that they have that flexibility without lowering the C rate, and to do that they may need a bigger battery. I can only assume the current charge curve is a limitation of battery design, cooling, or some other safety matter.

Certainly the 200kw is adequate if they can extend the duration at high rates.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I haven't seen any photos of partial disassembly of the underside of the R1S's yet. I might try to take some. I suspect that in-house rear motor unit might give them enough room to stand up modules in front of the drive unit in the R1S if they change cross-car supports and subframe. This is the extra space under my R1T. The black box looking thing on the left side of the image is the sound deadening foam around the motor units but this deadspace in the R1T with the Large pack is pretty big.
Rivian R1T R1S How many KW is the new dual motor max pack? 1680202032649

OP
OP

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
I haven't seen any photos of partial disassembly of the underside of the R1S's yet. I might try to take some. I suspect that in-house rear motor unit might give them enough room to stand up modules in front of the drive unit in the R1S if they change cross-car supports and subframe. This is the extra space under my R1T. The black box looking thing on the left side of the image is the sound deadening foam around the motor units but this deadspace in the R1T with the Large pack is pretty big.
1680202032649.png
I think this is in indeed where they fully intended to position it originally for the R1T. What's interesting though is the R1S really wasn't in scope at the same scale, but now they promise equivalent max pack size and improvement. It is possible the repacking of the motors provides the physical space, and the space you show here with the R1T remains empty. What a waste of space, wouldn't it be neat if there was a slide out drawer?

You do bring up another point, despite the extensive noise management those motors are still space ship loud. I've been told it's because their pulse width modulation though. I wonder if the new ones will be more silent :)
Sponsored