Sponsored

How many getting R1S w/ Underbody Shield ?

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S
"Optimizing" configs in an attempt to chase production is futile. Just get what you want/need.
Sponsored

Jemel

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I kept flip flopping on getting the shield. I don’t plan on any major off-roading. It wasn’t really about the cost for me, but more the weight. From what I’ve seen, though, it adds 140lbs or so, which is only a fraction of its 7800+ heft. At this point it’s more of an insurance policy, as other have mentioned elsewhere. I may not plan to off-road, but life has a way of throwing plans out the window :CWL:

I had a 4Runner (Trail Edition) before my Model 3 and while it saw some gnarly winter driving I never took it off-road. Ironically the Model 3 was off-road way more, when on a vacation a private driveway became a logging road overnight. The Model 3 basically belly surfed through mud and rocks to get out. Surprisingly it managed but it was nail biting with all the underbelly scraping.

The whole debate for me is now moot since I’m config locked and in my 8 step:like:

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

"Optimizing" configs in an attempt to chase production is futile. Just get what you want/need.
Agreed. Just because the first batch of R1S being delivered has underbody shields doesn't mean the next batch will. You might end up delaying your delivery if they've already scheduled production for your configuration without the shield and you decide to add it in hopes of being matched to an already produced R1S that doesn't exist.

JeremyP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4runner, BMW I3, preordered R1S
Occupation
Engineer
I have the extra shield configured, because I only plan on using it on mild trails for now but I'm sure I'll move past that sooner than later! "No honey, I don't remember any bad spots on this trail, oh except that one, and that one..."

This is when the skid plates come in handy (this offroad area is just a couple miles from my house) :

I'm doing a training course with Bill Burke (the trainer in the video) in a couple weeks and hope he is using his rivian during it!

The video is from this thread:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/offroading-in-a-rivian-r1t/198532/page1/

RexRemus

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S
Clubs

I have the extra shield configured, because I only plan on using it on mild trails for now but I'm sure I'll move past that sooner than later! "No honey, I don't remember any bad spots on this trail, oh except that one, and that one..."

This is when the skid plates come in handy (this offroad area is just a couple miles from my house) :

I'm doing a training course with Bill Burke (the trainer in the video) in a couple weeks and hope he is using his rivian during it!

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/offroading-in-a-rivian-r1t/198532/page1/
Why does that R1T look like it's at the lowest ride height setting?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Sully151

Sully151

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Jeep JkU
Occupation
Theater arts

And this is why I am torn. I have absolutely no plans to do that with my $80k daily driver, so it really doesn't make sense to get the RUS.

I will do some California fire roads and snow driving though.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
I’m in for the shield. A grocery getter’s mission early in life can evolve into a backcountry beater later on…

jffkm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
model 3
Got some definitive guidance (no pun intended) from my guide to sit tight and not change the config b/c R1Ss without the underbody shield are coming off of the line. Will see what happens. Have to admit it is odd to see people who pre-ordered a full 2 years after already receiving their vehicles, but hopefully soon.

tjaco007

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Got some definitive guidance (no pun intended) from my guide to sit tight and not change the config b/c R1Ss without the underbody shield are coming off of the line. Will see what happens. Have to admit it is odd to see people who pre-ordered a full 2 years after already receiving their vehicles, but hopefully soon.
I got the exact same feedback from my guide yesterday. Recent deliveries have included the shield, but they are producing without it right now too. I could add it if I really wanted to, but would risk delaying my delivery date.

I'll sit tight for now...

Condor

First Name
CJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, Rivian R1S
I wasn’t going to get the underbody shield but after a retread maimed the bottom of my Q7 today, I’m starting to reconsider…

Sponsored

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
My config is what you see in my signature. I have the underbody protection in my config. I have an AUG-SEP and I got confirmation from CS today that it is still holding (we'll see).

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Why does that R1T look like it's at the lowest ride height setting?
seriously, how about raising the height? shield or no shield, thats gonna help more.
Sponsored