How important is Underside Protection?

Jrettinger

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air DE
Ordered in early 2020 and finally got my guide and have delivery scheduled for Friday. They matched me with a truck that was exactly my spec minus the underbody protection. Does anyone have an idea how important that is? I’m not planning on serious rock crawling but just some light off-roading. Any insight into its importance (or lack of importance) would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

j
Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I think you should be fine for light off-roading. The standard protection should be pretty robust - the only difference is that the "reinforced" protection extends out further to the edges of the vehicle for complete coverage. From Rivian's website:

Protecting the underbody of our vehicle is a layered shield of high-strength steel, alloyed aluminum and carbon fiber composite. Engineered to absorb, deflect and distribute force from impacts, the shield is designed for protection in the most extreme off-road conditions.

With the Reinforced Underbody Shield, available to add on to the Adventure Package or Explore Package, the underbody shield is enhanced with reinforced materials extending from bumper to bumper and side to side.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you - I have the extra protection configured and would prefer it for peace of mind but I would gladly drop it if it meant getting my R1S earlier.

PS: Love your content on YT! Look forward to seeing your R1T on the channel soon.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Ordered in early 2020 and finally got my guide and have delivery scheduled for Friday. They matched me with a truck that was exactly my spec minus the underbody protection. Does anyone have an idea how important that is? I’m not planning on serious rock crawling but just some light off-roading. Any insight into its importance (or lack of importance) would be appreciated.

Thanks all!

j
Congratulations 🎊 👏

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Thanks all!

j
On a side note, any issues with the Lucid?

av8or

First Name
Randall
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Jeep Wrangler, 2023 Rivian R1T
Occupation
FedEx Retired
Clubs

I’d be curious about that too. I hope the R1T that Munro tears apart will have the off-road package so we can see what it really is.

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I had the off-road package configured for piece of mind. Then they said I could have the same truck less the off-road package, I took it.

if I start to off-road more and need it, there will be an aftermarket company offering one.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

For light off-roading definitely save your self $2k and also some weight and go without it.

OP
OP
Jrettinger

Jrettinger

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lucid Air DE
I think you should be fine for light off-roading. The standard protection should be pretty robust - the only difference is that the "reinforced" protection extends out further to the edges of the vehicle for complete coverage. From Rivian's website:

Protecting the underbody of our vehicle is a layered shield of high-strength steel, alloyed aluminum and carbon fiber composite. Engineered to absorb, deflect and distribute force from impacts, the shield is designed for protection in the most extreme off-road conditions.

With the Reinforced Underbody Shield, available to add on to the Adventure Package or Explore Package, the underbody shield is enhanced with reinforced materials extending from bumper to bumper and side to side.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you - I have the extra protection configured and would prefer it for peace of mind but I would gladly drop it if it meant getting my R1S earlier.

PS: Love your content on YT! Look forward to seeing your R1T on the channel soon.
Appreciate that, thank you!!!

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

So I'm at the service center now learning what the underbody shield does and doesn't protect... tldr; yes to scrapes and punctures, no to bottoming out.

We went over a stump and made front contact with a tree a couple weeks back. It was enough to put a dent in the fender, but I thought that was all. Apparently we were up on the stump at one point, there were marks on the underbody, and the weight of the truck caused the frame to shift a little. The caster was knocked off center and loosened, causing the alignment to progressively get worse. Tech says it "should" hold up but to keep an eye on it. If I feel any shifting in a turn and it doesn't straighten out right, stop immediately and they'll tow it.

So much for an offroad truck, huh? With any luck, he says the prototype winch bumper they're making will protect better against this type of stuff.

Sponsored

seatosummit

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 R1T, '87 LJ70, 73' Porsche 914 (EV Conversion)
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Clubs

So I'm at the service center now learning what the underbody shield does and doesn't protect... tldr; yes to scrapes and punctures, no to bottoming out.

We went over a stump and made front contact with a tree a couple weeks back. It was enough to put a dent in the fender, but I thought that was all. Apparently we were up on the stump at one point, there were marks on the underbody, and the weight of the truck caused the frame to shift a little. The caster was knocked off center and loosened, causing the alignment to progressively get worse. Tech says it "should" hold up but to keep an eye on it. If I feel any shifting in a turn and it doesn't straighten out right, stop immediately and they'll tow it.

So much for an offroad truck, huh? With any luck, he says the prototype winch bumper they're making will protect better against this type of stuff.
Gosh, that sucks.

Do you have any pictures of the impact on the underside?

Not immediately clear to me how that would impact castor, but I am sorry to hear that it did in your case. Also strange that their castor fix seems to be caveated.

Cheers,
A

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

Gosh, that sucks.

Do you have any pictures of the impact on the underside?

Not immediately clear to me how that would impact castor, but I am sorry to hear that it did in your case. Also strange that their castor fix seems to be caveated.

Cheers,
A
No pics of the underside, was trying to not be obnoxious when they brought me back into the shop.

I did get before and after numbers and the spec numbers, will share more when I get home.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
Interesting. I've off-roaded a bit in the past and never even considered the thought of impacting the bottom of the vehicle on a rock or tree stump without risking considerable damage. Hoses, drive shafts and a myriad of other items could get damaged.
If that was the case one person would get out and spot.
Impacting a solid object at low speed on ice and sliding with my Durango years ago, bent the front frame, bent the wheel and other things to the tune of 3K.

Any thought that the underbody protection is like a thick steel plate like what one might find on an excavator or bulldozer is just silly IMHO.

High centering the vehicle on a rock or tree stump is asking for it. If I was servicing the vehicle at home, I would not place my floor jack on the center of the skid plate or on a transfer case, then jack it up.

mstealth22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Ranger 2019
Has anyone actually seen the difference in Off-Road / On-Road underbody? I charged next to another R1T in Issaquah, WA the other day, Only difference between trucks, was w/t combo and he had Off-Road underbody and I have On-Road. I crawled under both trucks, and underbody was identical, felt the same, sounded the same when I tapped on it. Both had tow hooks, and pained brush guard.

When I ordered this wasn't even an option, then it became an option and I didn't select it, when my truck was ready it was going to delay to add. Also when actual ordering came, I could not get a clear description or pictures from Guide on what the Off-Road was or was not.

I do off road a bunch, but wasn't adding 2K to the bill for something no one could show, and figured aftermarket would handle it better in the long run anyway.

I still want t know or see what the difference in from Rivian? Is there any?
Sponsored