Sponsored

How do you keep the charger handle cool?

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I’m taking a long road trip this week and am trying to determine how to get the best charging speed.

I used a 150kW charger and it delivered 148-150kW for about 8 minutes, then dropped to 34kW. The truck said charge was limited by the station. I checked the handle and it was HOT. So, I stopped that charge and started another one from the second charge handle (same station). It too gave me 248-150kW for about 8 minutes before throttling to 34kW.

I assume the chargers throttle as they overheat. Is there anything we can do to help? Would wrapping a cold towel or ice pack help? Maybe a fan to blow air onto the handle? I am not looking forward to the trip if my charging stops will be over an hour and a half (10-80%, based on 150kW charger).
Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Usually that means the cooling in the cable has failed. There's not really a way around that.

staples

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Zero FXS, Tesla Y
Clubs

... except move to another dispenser that hopefully has functional cooling.

This sounds like a rather standard EA experience.

jerseyff

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T; mazdaspeed3
Occupation
IT
If it is an EA charger, be sure and report it via the app.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
The ~34kw is usually a good indicator that the cable cooling has failed like @Dark-Fx noted.

Fly YX

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R
Occupation
Control Engineer
I don’t have a consumer ev so don’t know the ins and outs on charging so this is more of a question/ reply. The Streetcar I work on has a battery that it uses when it has to go “off wire” the charger is 800v dc we charge them to 80% when the Charging plus’s get hot it’s usually a bad connection or corrosion. Sometimes we can fix it I put a little dielectric grease on the connections. It was the same when I worked In commercial aviation. On the plugs do you see any deformation corrosion or black marks? How are the lines cooled just with air or with a chiller? The 1st pic is the charger/ Rectifier the 2nd is the plug we use.

Rivian R1T R1S How do you keep the charger handle cool? B63C1292-E115-4DB4-B6EF-AB4AE0663ED0

Rivian R1T R1S How do you keep the charger handle cool? CBBF8F66-95AB-47D6-AD59-17BA18C8A496
Sponsored