Sponsored

How do you access the spare if you are using the cross bars?

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I haven't seen anyone bring up the issue of the spare storage location and how it will obviously be annoying having to unload the bed, but more importantly, what do you do if you have a RTT and are alone with no one to help get it off and back on? I guess the answer is sort of clear (SOL), but perhaps there is some ingenuity amongst this rag tag bunch...
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I haven't seen anyone bring up the issue of the spare storage location and how it will obviously be annoying having to unload the bed, but more importantly, what do you do if you have a RTT and are alone with no one to help get it off and back on? I guess the answer is sort of clear (SOL), but perhaps there is some ingenuity amongst this rag tag bunch...
Seems to me there should be enough clearance to get the tire out with a crossbar installed.

OP
OP

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Seems to me there should be enough clearance to get the tire out with a crossbar installed.
Crossbar alone isn't really the issue, it's if you have a RTT on them...

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
The lid only opens to bed rail height unless you push it past the detent, then it opens to vertical.

Maybe motor trend has video of getting the spare out from under an RTT, since that’s what they had going in with a Couple flats on their trans America trail series

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I still think there is enough room… might not be optimal but doable.

Rivian R1T R1S How do you access the spare if you are using the cross bars? 6B7975C4-B46C-4D3C-A07C-DF7A469A7684

Rivian R1T R1S How do you access the spare if you are using the cross bars? 8BB615AE-53F9-4982-B273-15487857B4BA

Sponsored

OP
OP

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
The lid only opens to bed rail height unless you push it past the detent, then it opens to vertical.

Maybe motor trend has video of getting the spare out from under an RTT, since that’s what they had going in with a Couple flats on their trans America trail series
Would love to see it, because the bed is only about 18" tall, and the cross bars give you maybe another 6" more. So, you have 24" of clearance to get that 100lb tire out.

Pretty sure you're taking the tent off the bars to get the tire.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

Strenuous lifting required

OP
OP

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
I still think there is enough room… might not be optimal but doable.

6B7975C4-B46C-4D3C-A07C-DF7A469A7684.jpeg

8BB615AE-53F9-4982-B273-15487857B4BA.jpeg
I guess my assumption is that you can't get the tire out with the lid only up that high, you have to push it all the way to it's vertical position, because you then have to stand directly over the tire to lift straight up in a clean and jerk fashion.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

It would be much easier without the bars but you can do it with them in place. That tire is not light.

Rivian R1T R1S How do you access the spare if you are using the cross bars? 6538A017-D24B-4F3C-87FE-DB8DB70A16BA

Rivian R1T R1S How do you access the spare if you are using the cross bars? 9FFF642A-5580-4D79-9802-6F323CD22093

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I guess my assumption is that you can't get the tire out with the lid only up that high, you have to push it all the way to it's vertical position, because you then have to stand directly over the tire to lift straight up in a clean and jerk fashion.
I think you are over thinking this. I’m in my 60s and I am certain I could pull that tire out with the lid like that. The center screw will come out so you do not need to lift it over that.

The Jeep GC stores the spare in a similar position and I have no issues removing it.

If it is a big concern, you can always pull the spare out before you load the tent, leave it in the front of the bed and use the tire well for storage. Would probably make the storage more accessible there than the front of the bed anyway.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
It would be much easier without the bars but you can do it with them in place. That tire is not light.

6538A017-D24B-4F3C-87FE-DB8DB70A16BA.jpeg

9FFF642A-5580-4D79-9802-6F323CD22093.jpeg
What if you had a RTT, that extended all the way to the vertical plane of the tailgate in the up position (would be the case with just about any option), restricting the angle by which you can pull on the tire?

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
We're all in Crossfit. Give up your fancy olympic lifts.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
What if you had a RTT, that extended all the way to the vertical plane of the tailgate in the up position (would be the case with just about any option), restricting the angle by which you can pull on the tire?
add 50% more swearing, perhaps a new hernia?

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I think you are over thinking this. I’m in my 60s and I am certain I could pull that tire out with the lid like that. The center screw will come out so you do not need to lift it over that.
I'm in my 30s and fairly fit, bike commute 4 days a week with a #BodyByFarm. When I changed a tire after curb rash, I opened it to the crossbars and tried for all of 2 seconds before I wised up and asked for help. I have bike racks over so it was easy to unlock all 4 and take them off with the wife's help. My lower back was still sore the next day pulling it out with the cover all the way 90° open, I can't imagine if I tried yanking forever.
Sponsored