Sponsored

How can you accurately measure range when you switch wheel/tire sizes without RIVIAN recalibration?

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
As the title said. I'm not worried about speedometer errors as much as range accuracy when switching wheels/tires without RIVIAN coming out to do a mobile recalibration. For the experts who have done this, how do you determine how much range is left so as to not risk running out of juice before the next charging stop? Is % battery left the only relevant measure? Was hoping RIVIAN would add this functionality in the next few OTAs but I'm not holding my breath. It may happen in the future, but not soon enough.
Sponsored

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
When I switched from 21's to 20's I just paid attention to the battery %. I try never to go below 10%, so I didn't stress out about it. The interesting thing is that at 100% charged the range in miles shows 326 both before Rivian updated my tires size and after. So I'm not sure Rivian has figured out how to correctly calibrate our trucks for tire size. I would have expected the range in miles to decrease at 100% charged by about 10-15%. In my experience having your truck reprogrammed does very little and the range in miles is not very accurate or useful.

OP
OP
windblowlc

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
When I switched from 21's to 20's I just paid attention to the battery %. I try never to go below 10%, so I didn't stress out about it. The interesting thing is that at 100% charged the range in miles shows 326 both before Rivian updated my tires size and after. So I'm not sure Rivian has figured out how to correctly calibrate our trucks for tire size. I would have expected the range in miles to decrease at 100% charged by about 10-15%. In my experience having your truck reprogrammed does very little and the range in miles is not very accurate or useful.
Thanks for the information. I have a few questions - First, what was your range at 100% battery before the 21's to 20's switch (as compared to the 326 miles before the update?) Secondly, did the reprogram correct the speedometer? Lastly, did you have the switch and reprogram done the same time at the SC and how much did it cost just for the reprogram?

SACDFJC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
FJ40
Thanks for the information. I have a few questions - First, what was your range at 100% battery before the 21's to 20's switch (as compared to the 326 miles before the update?)
@100% charge:
- The range with 21's was 326.
- The range with 20's and after being reprogrammed is still 326.

I would have expected the range at 100% charged, post reprogramming to 20's, to be lower by about 10-15%. Let's say somewhere in the 275-290 range at 100%.

Secondly, did the reprogram correct the speedometer?
Yes the reprogramming corrected the speedometer reading.

Lastly, did you have the switch and reprogram done the same time at the SC and how much did it cost just for the reprogram?
I had the wheels installed at a local tire shop. I had the reprogramming done at the SC and Rivian did not charge me.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

@100% charge:
- The range with 21's was 326.
- The range with 20's and after being reprogrammed is still 326.

I would have expected the range at 100% charged, post reprogramming to 20's, to be lower by about 10-15%. Let's say somewhere in the 275-290 range at 100%.

Yes the reprogramming corrected the speedometer reading.

I had the wheels installed at a local tire shop. I had the reprogramming done at the SC and Rivian did not charge me.
I think this is the bug that's getting fixed in the next update.
Sponsored