Sponsored

How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear?

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
This is what 177 cm skis look like perched on the racks mounted over the bed. What I really wanted to see was how the bindings lined up with the rack mount locations. Pretty good! Turns out you could have the tails almost touching the rear glass and your tips only barely poke out over the back of the truck. If you get rear ended you might kill someone riding in the back seat, but otherwise this could be workable. Longer skis obviously will stick out moreā€¦
Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
Thank you for this thread. Unfortunately, it does highlight how short a 4.5ā€™ bed is for both work and adventure. My shortest skiis are 188cm.

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Thank you for this thread. Unfortunately, it does highlight how short a 4.5ā€™ bed is for both work and adventure. My shortest skiis are 188cm.
Definitely designed for boardersā€¦

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
I snapped a pic of skis in the bed during our test drive and posted in this thread.

My husband's 177s fit on the diagonal, flat on the floor in their bag with a bit of room to spare. Longer skis would certainly fit propped up on one end.

The plastic cladding lining the bed has deep carve outs in the corners that I suspect may not be reflected in the dimensions.

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I snapped a pic of skis in the bed during our test drive and posted in this thread.

My husband's 177s fit on the diagonal, flat on the floor in their bag with a bit of room to spare. Longer skis would certainly fit propped up on one end.

The plastic cladding lining the bed has deep carve outs in the corners that I suspect may not be reflected in the dimensions.
Thanks for posting. Encouraging. My daily drivers are 175. Powder skis are probably going to be tight but at least I know thereā€™s a chance now.

Sponsored

dishwasher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subarus
The Audi sock or similar pass through from the bed would be a nice feature.

PLAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
yes
Occupation
Physical Therapist/Ski Guide/Avy Educator
Was doing some math on truck bed dimensions to determine whether or not I'd need roof ski racks and it seems like I definitely will. The bed is reported to only be 54 inches long with the tailgate up. My longest powder skis are 184cm (~72 inches). Even on the diagonal (also accounting for the height of the bed with the cover closed), my skis won't fit in the bed--about 10 inches too long.

If we go with ski racks, I'm realizing that I'll probably need to mount them on the roof of the truck (rather than over the bed) because over the bed my skis will stick out over the tailgate by at least 18", possibly as much as 2', depending on how the ski bindings align with the racks.

Kind of a bummer, as I'd really prefer not to deal with the whistle of racks/skis at highway speeds, not to mention the increased possibility of theft when I'm parked, but it is what it is. Also not thrilled about putting racks on the roof because the R1T is taller than my current car and it's already kinda tricky to get skis out of my Thule box in my considerably shorter car. (Standing on an open gear tunnel door might make it easier but I'm imagining trying to do this in ski boots while it's dumping without breaking my neck...)

The alternative to roof racks would be a Thule/Yakima box. Easier to toss multiple pairs of skis (and boots and poles and whatever) in a box. And it's more secure than a rack... Less road whistle too. Feels like overkill considering how much storage this truck is going to have but none of the current storage is designed to hold 184cm skis...

What say you?

(Note: these are really pretty silly concerns and I'm not really terribly worried about how this is going to work out, but what else do I have to do with the time between now and truck delivery???)
Did a little geometry math and up to 188cm skis should fit flat on bed on the diagonal. This works for my quiver but would have been a no-go if skis did not fit

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I had my First Mile drive today, and one thing I wanted to do was see what length skis would fit in the bed with the tailgate up and tonneau closed. I was pleasantly surprised that the longest skis I have - Armada ARV 106 in 188cm length - fit diagonally and laid flat in the bed with the tailgate up.šŸ‘ Thatā€™s probably about the max length that will fit lying flat. You could maybe get 195ā€™s to fit if you also angled them vertically. But do they even make skis that long anymore? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I had my First Mile drive today, and one thing I wanted to do was see what length skis would fit in the bed with the tailgate up and tonneau closed. I was pleasantly surprised that the longest skis I have - Armada ARV 106 in 188cm length - fit diagonally and laid flat in the bed with the tailgate up.šŸ‘ Thatā€™s probably about the max length that will fit lying flat. You could maybe get 195ā€™s to fit if you also angled them vertically. But do they even make skis that long anymore? šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø
Now if you could now get your truck....

SteveInBend

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 El Cap R1T
Occupation
Retired
My nordic skate skis are 192cm. I am seriously considering contacting an R1T owner here in Bend (the one selling on Craigslist) and ask him if I can test fit them in the bed of his truck. Hopefully, they'll fit using the diagonal and vertical axes).

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

My nordic skate skis are 192cm. I am seriously considering contacting an R1T owner here in Bend (the one selling on Craigslist) and ask him if I can test fit them in the bed of his truck. Hopefully, they'll fit using the diagonal and vertical axes).
192 will be tight. I tried my roommates 187s and they barely fit.

Luckily for me, my longest snowboard fits easy but I am scheming a different setup before next winter.

Rivian R1T R1S How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear? 88B3C4FD-EF81-49B0-815D-D0F1DEC999ED

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I can almost guarantee they will. Only 1.5ā€ difference from mine and much narrower. They may even lay flat because my 106 fatties didnā€™t touch tip-to-corners due to width.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
192 will be tight. I tried my roommates 187s and they barely fit.

Luckily for me, my longest snowboard fits easy but I am scheming a different setup before next winter.

88B3C4FD-EF81-49B0-815D-D0F1DEC999ED.jpeg
Since mine are twin tips with decent amount of camber and rocker, they wouldnā€™t fit on their sides like this. Had to put them in facing up/down.

Budman

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda CRV
Clubs

Iā€™m a nordic skier and have 210ā€™s. So yes, they make skis that long.
Sponsored