Sponsored

How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear?

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Rivian R1T R1S How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear? 1631208792768

Oops. My original math was off. (When in doubt, let the computers do the math...)

Turns out the diagonal on the interior is longer than I thought -- almost 76", which is 3.4" longer than my longest skis. They're powder skis with big spoons (not perfectly straight rods), so it's still debatable that they will fit AND that the cover will close.

I guess I'm leaning ski rack or ski box over bed unless some better idea comes along.
Sponsored

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
@yizzung the bed is ~74” diagonally. That’s 188cm.

185s would fit Diagonally, on edge and, if in a bag, tilted up slightly.
ive got too much time, and AutoCAD ?
Haha. I just did the same exercise. I must also have too much time...

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Caveat: I pulled my dimensions off some random site, not Rivian official, so accuracy not assured here. But guessing it's close enough.

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
Keep in mind that some manufacturers measure ski length by dropping a plum line from tip to ground, others measure along the base surface (thus the latter are shorter than the former). Obviously none of this matters if you can measure your own skis, but a useful reference for making general conclusions.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Caveat: I pulled my dimensions off some random site, not Rivian official, so accuracy not assured here. But guessing it's close enough.
I used rivian’s own dimensions on the R1T webpage. 54”L x 51.1W x17”D(tonneau closed)

Sponsored

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Clearly Rivian needs to deliver an R1T to my house this week so I can solve this riddle. While it's here at the house I suppose I should try driving it up into the mountains just to be sure the skis don't rattle around too much while in transit.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Clearly Rivian needs to deliver an R1T to my house this week so I can solve this riddle. While it's here at the house I suppose I should try driving it up into the mountains just to be sure the skis don't rattle around too much while in transit.
I concur.

ps make a rectangular solid that is the same size as your skis, put it on that diagonal line. Bet it’ll fit.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Haha. I just did the same exercise. I must also have too much time...
I actually have a bit of cardboard and was considering building a real life bed to see how it would look with my skis in the same size space. Trying to get a real life sense of how skis (with tips) will fit is difficult, especially if you need to stack more than one pair diagonally.

This is something I’ve gone back and forth on. Who wants a truck that needs a rack to carry skis?

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Wouldn't opening the tailgate w/ some sort of extender solve this problem? I guess theft if getting lunch or dinner, but most of the time skis would be in there getting to the slopes and back...

It is interesting that I have not seen a Rivian made one yet, they seem fairly commonplace with other trucks...getting an R1S so the only solution is either hitch or roof...

I actually have a bit of cardboard and was considering building a real life bed to see how it would look with my skis in the same size space. Trying to get a real life sense of how skis (with tips) will fit is difficult, especially if you need to stack more than one pair diagonally.

This is something I’ve gone back and forth on. Who wants a truck that needs a rack to carry skis?

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I actually have a bit of cardboard and was considering building a real life bed to see how it would look with my skis in the same size space.
I am surprised nobody on this board has 3D-printed an entire Rivian yet, just to practice parking in their garage, loading up the bed, sleeping in the cab, etc.

Sponsored

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Wouldn't opening the tailgate w/ some sort of extender solve this problem?
A waterproof “sock” right in the middle of the tailgate would do the trick. That’s what Audi does to let you load your skis from the trunk of a sedan right through the middle of the cabin. :)

NorthernOak

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Clubs

I am surprised nobody on this board has 3D-printed an entire Rivian yet, just to practice parking in their garage, loading up the bed, sleeping in the cab, etc.
That thought has crossed my mind a few times. I see I'm not the only one with crazy ideas. In all seriousness would love to print a model of one.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
If I'm heading up for day skiing, I'll probably just stick a ski bag diagonally in the bed. They'll have to lean against the gate a bit but should be easy enough to secure for a drive to the hill. My friends with boards or smaller skis can use the bed or Gear Tunnel.

If I'm going on a longer trip, I'll probably put them on a roof/bed rack or even a hitch rack - I've been eyeing the Yakima EXO hitch system which seems like it could be a great way to haul lots of winter gear with minimal drag and while still leaving the RTT on for parking lot camping...
1631207656936.png
I've been thinking about getting this system to carry bikes too. Pretty neat system.

R1Tr8000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘99 SLK230, 22 Sequoia, 17 GLE43, 14 CnAm SxS
Occupation
Aerospace retired
Was doing some math on truck bed dimensions to determine whether or not I'd need roof ski racks and it seems like I definitely will. The bed is reported to only be 54 inches long with the tailgate up. My longest powder skis are 184cm (~72 inches). Even on the diagonal (also accounting for the height of the bed with the cover closed), my skis won't fit in the bed--about 10 inches too long.

If we go with ski racks, I'm realizing that I'll probably need to mount them on the roof of the truck (rather than over the bed) because over the bed my skis will stick out over the tailgate by at least 18", possibly as much as 2', depending on how the ski bindings align with the racks.

Kind of a bummer, as I'd really prefer not to deal with the whistle of racks/skis at highway speeds, not to mention the increased possibility of theft when I'm parked, but it is what it is. Also not thrilled about putting racks on the roof because the R1T is taller than my current car and it's already kinda tricky to get skis out of my Thule box in my considerably shorter car. (Standing on an open gear tunnel door might make it easier but I'm imagining trying to do this in ski boots while it's dumping without breaking my neck...)

The alternative to roof racks would be a Thule/Yakima box. Easier to toss multiple pairs of skis (and boots and poles and whatever) in a box. And it's more secure than a rack... Less road whistle too. Feels like overkill considering how much storage this truck is going to have but none of the current storage is designed to hold 184cm skis...

What say you?

(Note: these are really pretty silly concerns and I'm not really terribly worried about how this is going to work out, but what else do I have to do with the time between now and truck delivery???)
Since skiing is one of my important winter use cases..I may be in luck stashing my Moment Deathwish 184’s diagonally in the bed. Tip to tip I measured them today at 71.75” straight line.

I spoke with CS today and a nice lady replied with..
“using the Pythagorean theory, I can provide a rough estimate that the diagonal length of the truck bed is 73.8". This is based on using the width of the truck bed at 1277 mm (wheelhouse width at the floor) and the length at 1371 mm (length with the tailgate up) so the diagonal/hypotenuse is 1873.6 mm (73.8") - diagonal length inside the bed.”

So..thus far it looks doable for our daily local mountain trip. For longer overnight trips we use a Thule box, so I’ll see how that fits over the top of the truck bed.

CS also provided this set of measurements:
“As a point of reference and reminder, below please find our truck bed dimensions.

Length (Tailgate Up): 1371mm or 54"
Length (Tailgate Down): 2124.5mm or 83.6"

Cargo Width: 1299mm or 51.1"
Wheelhouse Width at Floor: 1277mm or 50.2"

Wheel Well Height: 151mm or 6"
Height to Tonneau: 434mm or 17"
Height to Rails: 465mm or 18.3"

Bed Volume: 828 L or 29.2 cubic feet ”

DB-EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1s
Since skiing is one of my important winter use cases..I may be in luck stashing my Moment Deathwish 184’s diagonally in the bed. Tip to tip I measured them today at 71.75” straight line.

I spoke with CS today and a nice lady replied with..
“using the Pythagorean theory, I can provide a rough estimate that the diagonal length of the truck bed is 73.8". This is based on using the width of the truck bed at 1277 mm (wheelhouse width at the floor) and the length at 1371 mm (length with the tailgate up) so the diagonal/hypotenuse is 1873.6 mm (73.8") - diagonal length inside the bed.”

So..thus far it looks doable for our daily local mountain trip. For longer overnight trips we use a Thule box, so I’ll see how that fits over the top of the truck bed.

CS also provided this set of measurements:
“As a point of reference and reminder, below please find our truck bed dimensions.

Length (Tailgate Up): 1371mm or 54"
Length (Tailgate Down): 2124.5mm or 83.6"

Cargo Width: 1299mm or 51.1"
Wheelhouse Width at Floor: 1277mm or 50.2"

Wheel Well Height: 151mm or 6"
Height to Tonneau: 434mm or 17"
Height to Rails: 465mm or 18.3"

Bed Volume: 828 L or 29.2 cubic feet ”
Awesome. I thought CS is closed on weekends . . . . For what it is worth I am LE R1s and I am buying the ski rack that comes from Rivian. Liked the Yakima behind-the-vehicle post. I use a similar system (Thule) for my bikes.
Sponsored