Sponsored

How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear?

dl4060

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T (Quad/large), Maserati Ghibli Modena.
Occupation
Data Scientist
Rivian R1T R1S How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear? 20230615_080318
Rivian R1T R1S How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear? 20230615_080310
Rivian R1T R1S How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear? 20230615_080601
Rivian R1T R1S How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear? 20230615_080530
Rivian R1T R1S How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear? 20230615_080530
Rivian R1T R1S How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear? 20230615_081106
I got my R1T on May 4th, and I was able to get one last Mammoth trip in. I was also able to do a day trip to Mt. Baldy. I don't have the tonneau cover yet. Here are some pictures I took of skis in the back and in the gear tunnel. Sorry the photos are all over the place, I'm still figuring out posting pics on this forum.

For reference, the top two shots are of Armada JJs in a 185. They are wide, about 115 underfoot, and have some rocker. They don't fit on their sides as you can see, but they do fit across the bottom of the bed.

After the two JJ shots, the next three shots are Praxis RX in a 184. They are also wide, 141-116-128, and they do have rocker. They don't have quite the rocker of the JJs, and they do fit diagonally across the bottom of the bed on their sides.

The next shot is three pairs of Praxis skis, the RX on the bottom, then 183 MVPs, then a pair of 182 Quixotes on top. I could have stacked them better, but with proper planning I will be able to close the cover, when the cover arrives.

At the very bottom of the page is a shot of my wife's Blizzard Shiva 10 156 skis in the gear tunnel.

I was worried about bed size, but it works for my skis, BARELY. But I do have to say I was pleasantly surprised. I expected the JJs and the RXs to fit diagonally, but not across the bottom of the bed. The fact that I can easily put them in and close the cover is great news.

We make about 10 trips to Mammoth a year, and we usually take the shuttle. The first trip of the year, when we are hauling our gear up, might take some planning, but it should be fine. After I got the truck I took the last Mammoth trip of the year and was able to easily haul everything back. I am really pumped on just how much storage there is in the truck. It's just me, my wife and the dog, so this should work easily. My fears about being able to fit a 185ish rockered 116 underfoot ski in the bed and closed the cover have been assuaged!!

Rivian R1T R1S How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear? 20230615_080310

Rivian R1T R1S How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear? 20230615_081429
Sponsored

Last edited:

dl4060

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Scientist
I should add that I forgot to put in a couple of shots of the tails againts the closed tailgate.

I assure you that the tailgate was closed, and the skis fit:CWL:

But you'll have to take my word for it.

I was concerned about the bed length, but I have to say it is BARELY long enough. Another reason I love this truck.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I should add that I forgot to put in a couple of shots of the tails againts the closed tailgate.

I assure you that the tailgate was closed, and the skis fit:CWL:

But you'll have to take my word for it.

I was concerned about the bed length, but I have to say it is BARELY long enough. Another reason I love this truck.
What length did you fit in the gear tunnel? I never tried over winter but will have to try my spring skis in there... We ski a 168/172 in spring.

dl4060

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Data Scientist
The skis are Shiva 10 Blizzards in a 156. It was a close fit, you might be able to fit a 160, but I don't see 168/172 across the bottom. You might be able to fit a 168/172 ski diagonally in a 3D manner, with the tips (or tails) resting against the top corner of the tunnel, but I don't see a ski of the size laying flat.

EDIT:

I tried some 179 length skis in the gear tunnel, and they didn't fit. I couldn't lean them up against the other end of the tunnel and close it. They were not TOO far away though. A 168/172 MIGHT fit if you were clever about it. That length is right between what my wife's quiver and my quiver, so I can't check.

Last edited:

tylerdurden03

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Jeep GC Trailhawk, Tesla Model 3
Clubs

I personally don't think unbolting the Fatcats would that inconvenient. Only if you were switching on a regular basis. For me it would be a twice a year event if I had a RTT.. Fatcats stay on Nov thru May for ski season :) Or just get a second pair of Rivian cargo bars... I love how easy they go and come off the truck. I do this regularly
Thanks. I think you nailed it with the second pair of RIvian Cargo Bars…as much as a luxury as that sounds like. Rivian nailed the design of these rack mounts.
Sponsored