Sponsored

How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear?

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Was doing some math on truck bed dimensions to determine whether or not I'd need roof ski racks and it seems like I definitely will. The bed is reported to only be 54 inches long with the tailgate up. My longest powder skis are 184cm (~72 inches). Even on the diagonal (also accounting for the height of the bed with the cover closed), my skis won't fit in the bed--about 10 inches too long.

If we go with ski racks, I'm realizing that I'll probably need to mount them on the roof of the truck (rather than over the bed) because over the bed my skis will stick out over the tailgate by at least 18", possibly as much as 2', depending on how the ski bindings align with the racks.

Kind of a bummer, as I'd really prefer not to deal with the whistle of racks/skis at highway speeds, not to mention the increased possibility of theft when I'm parked, but it is what it is. Also not thrilled about putting racks on the roof because the R1T is taller than my current car and it's already kinda tricky to get skis out of my Thule box in my considerably shorter car. (Standing on an open gear tunnel door might make it easier but I'm imagining trying to do this in ski boots while it's dumping without breaking my neck...)

The alternative to roof racks would be a Thule/Yakima box. Easier to toss multiple pairs of skis (and boots and poles and whatever) in a box. And it's more secure than a rack... Less road whistle too. Feels like overkill considering how much storage this truck is going to have but none of the current storage is designed to hold 184cm skis...

What say you?

(Note: these are really pretty silly concerns and I'm not really terribly worried about how this is going to work out, but what else do I have to do with the time between now and truck delivery???)
Sponsored

Seattleite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Slacker
Gear Tunnel

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
My snowboard should fit in the gear tunnel assuming the 65" is the interior dimension. Which i think it sort of has to be.

If I had to carry skis I'd toss the ski rack over the bed and not worry about them hanging over the back a little be personally. But after looking at it, and getting in an argument with my wife whether that's ok, I'd probably be convinced to put the rack on the roof and carry them up there.

OP
OP
yizzung

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
My snowboard should fit in the gear tunnel assuming the 65" is the interior dimension. Which i think it sort of has to be.

If I had to carry skis I'd toss the ski rack over the bed and not worry about them hanging over the back a little be personally. But after looking at it, and getting in an argument with my wife whether that's ok, I'd probably be convinced to put the rack on the roof and carry them up there.
Ha. Right. Since I already have a Thule box I suspect I’ll try mounting that over the bed first. It’s going to stick out but maybe won’t be terrible.

Sponsored

Rivuylkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I'm currently thinking R1S, but still hemming and hawing about an R1T instead. I don't snow ski that much but do water ski. My ski is ~67 inches. Today I just toss it in the bed if I'm not bringing the boat. I'd be great to use the gear tunnel but I'm not sure if it will fit on a diagonal yet, and even so that might be a tight fit or a hassle to close. It should fit in the bed on the diagonal, but hard if other stuff is in there too.

It's a little annoying, and certainly a bummer for longer snow skis that won't even fit in the bed on a diagonal. I guess the racks are easy to take on/off and you can use the gear tunnel door to help load or get into the bed.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Will def work if I leave the doors open.
I wonder if the truck will warn you if you drive off with the gear tunnel open?

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Ha. Right. Since I already have a Thule box I suspect I’ll try mounting that over the bed first. It’s going to stick out but maybe won’t be terrible.
I’d do ski box over the bed, given the options available.

Sponsored

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
If I'm heading up for day skiing, I'll probably just stick a ski bag diagonally in the bed. They'll have to lean against the gate a bit but should be easy enough to secure for a drive to the hill. My friends with boards or smaller skis can use the bed or Gear Tunnel.

If I'm going on a longer trip, I'll probably put them on a roof/bed rack or even a hitch rack - I've been eyeing the Yakima EXO hitch system which seems like it could be a great way to haul lots of winter gear with minimal drag and while still leaving the RTT on for parking lot camping...
Rivian R1T R1S How are you planning to haul your ski / snowboard gear? 1631207656936

Last edited:

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
Boards in the gear tunnel, skis in the bed at an angle and resting on the tailgate. Easy peasy.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
@yizzung the bed is ~74” diagonally. That’s 188cm.

185s would fit Diagonally, on edge and, if in a bag, tilted up slightly.
ive got too much time, and AutoCAD ?

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I live in Colorado and ski with my kiddo a fair amount. This was part of why I went with the R1S. All of the gear can be in the vehicle to/from the mountain (mostly Eldora though we do some at Winter Park).
Sponsored