Sponsored

Houston pick up experience, GPS not recognizing my physical house, A/C condensate in garage, charging schedule issue

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
Received my midnight R1T on August 24th at the Rivian service center in North Houston. When we pulled it, there were around 40-50 R1T's in the lot! Pick-up went smoothly, with no issues. 90-mile drive home on a full charge and was left with 212 miles of range left. There is a slight learning curve on the "gas" pedal and regenerative braking, but now that I have had it for about a week, there are no issues with it. Very intuitive. Of course, as we left Houston with the freshly washed and waxed R1T, we drove home in a thunderstorm...

Once home, I noticed the GPS placed the truck correctly in the 2D rendered structure of my actual home on the navigation map, however, the white pin was in the middle of my pasture for my mailing address. We have 20 acres. the nav program says I am about 300m from the actual house. So since the computer does not think I am home, the home charging schedule does not work. It says "paused: Away from home". Gear guard also thinks I am away from home so every time I walk into the garage it records a video of me or my family. Finally, when it's hot in the garage while charging and if you have the climate control set to on, the A/C will run every time you open the doors or wake up the truck. This results in a VERY large amount of condensate dripping out of the truck and pooling in the garage and running out the garage door. I had to shut off the climate control and lock the doors which helped. However, when the battery gets hot from charging, the A/C will turn on I assume to cool the batteries. Since I turned off the climate control while in the garage, it has made a big difference on the condensate issue. I just turn it on when I get in the truck first thing. No biggie.

I do not know how to fix the GPS thing. I called Rivian and they had no idea how to fix that. They want me to take it to the service center, but I don't have that much free time and it's about 2 hours each way. I am working around these issues. I hope an OTA update can fix it. Perhaps something like if you are near your home a lot but not "at it", the navigation system can ask you "is this your home". Or something to that effect. That way, it can learn the actual location of your physical home, not just the location of your property. Anyone with a large property will run into this. Or if your parking area is not where the computer thinks your address is.

Rivian R1T R1S Houston pick up experience, GPS not recognizing my physical house, A/C condensate in garage, charging schedule issue IMG_5056

Rivian R1T R1S Houston pick up experience, GPS not recognizing my physical house, A/C condensate in garage, charging schedule issue IMG_8786

Rivian R1T R1S Houston pick up experience, GPS not recognizing my physical house, A/C condensate in garage, charging schedule issue IMG_5073

Rivian R1T R1S Houston pick up experience, GPS not recognizing my physical house, A/C condensate in garage, charging schedule issue IMG_5063

Rivian R1T R1S Houston pick up experience, GPS not recognizing my physical house, A/C condensate in garage, charging schedule issue IMG_5076

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
They use Mapbox, you can try requesting Mapbox to correct the information.

OP
OP
texasBuzzard

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
They use Mapbox, you can try requesting Mapbox to correct the information.
Holy cow! Thank you so much. I clicked on the "Improve the map" link and it let me send in a suggested edit of the pin location! If they ok it, then that will fix all those issues. Thank you so much!!

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
After reading this I'm glad I decided to park my Rivian in my climate controlled garage instead of my regular garage.

godfodder0901

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2004 Honda Civic EX, 2022 Rivian R1T LE
Holy cow! Thank you so much. I clicked on the "Improve the map" link and it let me send in a suggested edit of the pin location! If they ok it, then that will fix all those issues. Thank you so much!!
Don't get too excited. Many of us have made, and had approved, changes to the maps months ago. These changes have yet to be reflected in the nav system.

Sponsored

SecretService

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Granite R1T with 22” black wheels
Occupation
New home sales
Received my midnight R1T on August 24th at the Rivian service center in North Houston. When we pulled it, there were around 40-50 R1T's in the lot! Pick-up went smoothly, with no issues. 90-mile drive home on a full charge and was left with 212 miles of range left. There is a slight learning curve on the "gas" pedal and regenerative braking, but now that I have had it for about a week, there are no issues with it. Very intuitive. Of course, as we left Houston with the freshly washed and waxed R1T, we drove home in a thunderstorm...

Once home, I noticed the GPS placed the truck correctly in the 2D rendered structure of my actual home on the navigation map, however, the white pin was in the middle of my pasture for my mailing address. We have 20 acres. the nav program says I am about 300m from the actual house. So since the computer does not think I am home, the home charging schedule does not work. It says "paused: Away from home". Gear guard also thinks I am away from home so every time I walk into the garage it records a video of me or my family. Finally, when it's hot in the garage while charging and if you have the climate control set to on, the A/C will run every time you open the doors or wake up the truck. This results in a VERY large amount of condensate dripping out of the truck and pooling in the garage and running out the garage door. I had to shut off the climate control and lock the doors which helped. However, when the battery gets hot from charging, the A/C will turn on I assume to cool the batteries. Since I turned off the climate control while in the garage, it has made a big difference on the condensate issue. I just turn it on when I get in the truck first thing. No biggie.

I do not know how to fix the GPS thing. I called Rivian and they had no idea how to fix that. They want me to take it to the service center, but I don't have that much free time and it's about 2 hours each way. I am working around these issues. I hope an OTA update can fix it. Perhaps something like if you are near your home a lot but not "at it", the navigation system can ask you "is this your home". Or something to that effect. That way, it can learn the actual location of your physical home, not just the location of your property. Anyone with a large property will run into this. Or if your parking area is not where the computer thinks your address is.

IMG_5056.jpeg

IMG_8786.jpeg

IMG_5073.jpeg

IMG_5063.jpeg

IMG_5076.jpeg

I had similar issues with my “at home” charging schedule. As stupid as this may sound. Turn off the scheduler, make sure it’s set to everyday, and turn it back on and give it a shot. Mine went from telling me it was paused because away from home to working with about 30 seconds of button pressing and now works everytime.

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

Yes. Like @SecretService says I would try again with the scheduled charging. For the longest time my address wasn't in the Rivian at all but as long as I turned on scheduled charging while at home it worked. Hope it helps.

Regarding the proximity lock/unlock if you don't need it (not a solution everyone is happy with) you can turn it off in the vehicles menu. Mine has been off for months, obviously pulling the fob out of my pocket is an extra step but the PAK will still work.

Lastly I have been in the habit of turning off the climate control after every drive, just trying to eliminate as much unnecessary energy consumption as possible.

OP
OP
texasBuzzard

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
Haha! That totally worked! Love this website! So many interesting threads and stories and tips. Thank you so much! You guys are great.

Rivian R1T R1S Houston pick up experience, GPS not recognizing my physical house, A/C condensate in garage, charging schedule issue C48F70A1-5E02-4EF6-ABCB-428B7239AC6B

OP
OP
texasBuzzard

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
OP
OP
texasBuzzard

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
Don't get too excited. Many of us have made, and had approved, changes to the maps months ago. These changes have yet to be reflected in the nav system.
I wonder how often the navigation system updates.

Rivian R1T R1S Houston pick up experience, GPS not recognizing my physical house, A/C condensate in garage, charging schedule issue Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 3.48.32 PM

Sponsored

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography
I wonder how often the navigation system updates.

Screen Shot 2022-09-06 at 3.48.32 PM.png
That's impressive! I requested a change months ago about a business that was closed and is something new now, still hasn't been resolved.

OP
OP
texasBuzzard

texasBuzzard

First Name
AKB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Suburban
Occupation
Physician
Finally took my R1T to the Houston service center for trouble with the truck not hibernating. While there I had them look at a piece of trim that was coming loose on the door and the hood shaking at high speed.

Turned out my seat sensor was malfunctioning and the vehicle thought I was in the truck when I was not. Would not hibernate. They had to order an entire new seat. I was given a loner and was kept up to date regularly over the next few days.

They said they adjusted the hood latch and bumpers and replaced the trim. An employee drove to my house with my repaired truck and picked up the loaner.

Overall it went very well. Nice people and quick service. They checked my bolt involved in the recall and mine were not affected.
Sponsored