Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model 3, R1T
Occupation
IT Manager
This is unacceptable.

I believe I mentioned a very simple solution for this in a previous thread that Rivian could implement easily. If the seat belt is fastened for more than X hours or reaches Y% battery, but there are no other changing inputs (steering, acceleration, GPS motion, motion detect by cameras, infotainment interaction, or in pet friendly mode, etc) it’s likely that the vehicle is unoccupied. Prompt for user input on the screen with an annoying audible alert, and if no response or motion, power off. If someone is in the vehicle and does not respond, keeping the power on is at that point irrelevant.

They put it in park if you lift your butt off the seat while reversing, this is not rocket science, sheesh.
For what it's worth, Tesla does something similar to this. I was waiting for someone to have a procedure done and figured I would wait in the car to be away from people. I was sitting listening to music for about an hour and then everything shut off. A simple opening and closing of the door turned it back on.
Sponsored

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Was it an option/consideration for the shop to plug it in?

OP
OP

Shazam

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi q7
Occupation
Philanderer
Clubs

Was it an option/consideration for the shop to plug it in?
I had brought my charger in and left it in frunk in case it was necessary. I don't think the shop had their own chargers except for one of their employees with a Ford lightning.
On the day I saw the charge dropping I asked the shop to plug it in. I don't think they were concerned for the battery running out. I told the guy working on it just before close to plug it in and that my charger was in the frunk. He heard "trunk" and didn't see one there and figured he would just charge it in with the lightning charger that he would bring in the next morning. The issue is that no reasonable person would expect a battery to drop at such a ridiculous rate.

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
I fully expected an adoption learning curve for those of us new to EVs. However, I did not contemplate taking into account others that interact with the EV. Good lesson here. Cheers.

Sponsored

Sevn86

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2025 BMW X5 M Sport
Occupation
Sales
Once the main batts go dead, the 12V batts follow and the vehicle becomes a 7'000lb brick that can not be moved (because it is locked in Park w/the brakes on) with no way to get inside it.
Thank you!

carmigo

Site Sponsor
First Name
Carmigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
N/A
Occupation
We help people sell their Rivian in the easiest way possible.
It's because the truck stays on. The climate, and battery is ready to go. It's like if you were idling in traffic, it's the EV version of idle.
Ahhhh i see, thanks for the explanation. Don't have an EV myself so that's news to me, but now I know for the future.

Foobar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model 3P, Eva Ribelle
Occupation
IT Exec
Ahhhh i see, thanks for the explanation. Don't have an EV myself so that's news to me, but now I know for the future.
Still, something seems messed up here - it should not have lost that much charge overnight just "idling". OP - were you able to capture some session stats on the power usage for that time period?

Zybane

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Raptor 37
Occupation
Military Pilot
The real moral of the story is that no one gives two shits about you or your property this age.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

I suppose such a button, it it were big and red, might actually be pushed by the service dept.

history_eraser_button.jpg
You’re lucky there wasn’t a rabid 100% Asthmahound Chihuahua prowling around the shop on patrol.
Rivian R1T R1S Horror story / battery drain during service 1684802356803
Sponsored