Hope V2H Vehicle to House is a priority for Rivian

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
For way less than the cost of setting up your home for v2h (see what it costs to set it up for a lightning), you can get a very nice generator that will run your whole home on natural gas (Or propane or gasoline).
I wouldn’t agree with way less. Everyone’s situation is unique. I’m on the east coast, Hurricane central. I currently have a portable generator I can run for days with NG and power most everything in my house during and after a hurricane. We are normally without power for maybe 4-5 days. For a whole house NG, say Generac 24kw Unit…installed I’ve been quoted ~$13.5k. Then factor in weekly start ups for maintenance, oil changes, etc and then replacement every 3-5 years because anything here that sits outside with rust from the salt air. If I could get Enphase’s new Bi-Directional unit to work with my current solar/Enphase for maybe $5-$7k (I know I won’t need any extensive electrical work). I would then have the Rivian in the garage during a storm and be able to power my house for days. What follows every hurricane? No power for a few days but lots of sunshine to recharge the Rivian and power the house. Let’s also not forget, it’s a chunk of $$$ to run a NG 24k generator for days on end.
Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
^ we're discussing the Rivian's V2H setup.. which will have to go through it's J1772 port.. which will have to use handshake protocol not just a simple "wire to wire" hack. That's why the equipment is going to be several thousand dollars to connect to your house when all is said and done. Of course you're welcome to save probably 50% off the total if you can do the wiring/interconnect part yourself and provided it passes code inspection.
Agree…I’ve read that Ford’s Pro Power? Basically the inverter for the Lightning is ~$3,800 from Ford. From there you can choose to do an automated transfer panel or a manual. But there is no way your getting high voltage out of the Rivian without an inverter.

Tampa R1T

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

Our community has all
our community has all utility lines underground. But if the connecting lines outside did go down , it would be 10,000 customers affected by one break, so the utility would prioritize that fix because it brings a large number online.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
The irony is the vehicles have all this capability but there's just the lack of commercial availability of bidirectional chargers

Paradigm_Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Audi RS5, and a few more
Occupation
Architect
Clubs

V2H is a major issue for us and one of the reasons we placed a deposit in the first place. We are building a 700 sq ft remote off-grid cabin on a ridge in western Maine (will finish this year!). Access is by an old logging road and there is a stream to ford at times in the spring. We have relied on our Land Cruiser to get us there. The rivian offers the promise of both access and power for the cabin without having to rely on a PV system. Before I placed the deposit I spoke with a Rivian rep on the phone and was told that V2H functionality was planned but could not guarantee our truck would ship with the capability. V2H is the ultimate solution for our needs. We do not want the noise of a gas /propane generator up there. The silence /sounds of nature is why we go.

Rivian R1T R1S Hope V2H Vehicle to House is a priority for Rivian Cabin progress

Sponsored

Paradigm_Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect
Clubs

No, very much off-grid on a mountain bordering the national forest.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
No, very much off-grid on a mountain bordering the national forest.
You don't want a vehicle as your primary power source. You also don't need full V2H. Foregoing solar on an expensive offgrid build is a very strange choice..

Paradigm_Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect
Clubs

Doesn’t seem strange to me… why pay for a PV system if we only need power when we are there and we arrive with a giant battery? Keep in mind this is a remote wilderness cabin we built largely by ourselves and not a house.

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
Doesn’t seem strange to me… why pay for a PV system if we only need power when we are there and we arrive with a giant battery? Keep in mind this is a remote wilderness cabin we built largely by ourselves and not a house.
The overhead of leaving the vehicle on to power the house will likely be untenable. If you are very stingy with power use and turn of power at night you could have a few days of power, but that means no refrigeration.

Also, the intent of V2H is bi-directional, which isn't meaningful without a significant source of mains power. You just need an EV with an inverter.

It's not practical to drive to charge the battery with anything but DCFC. So part of electrical overhead will be the power used to drive to and from the nearest fast charger.

Sponsored

Paradigm_Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Architect
Clubs

You use the term "house" but it is not a house. it is a remote cabin with a total electrical load of less than 200 watts from LED lighting and a portable refrigerator. There is a also vehicle charging at a town about 10 miles away

zipzag

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y
You use the term "house" but it is not a house. it is a remote cabin with a total electrical load of less than 200 watts from LED lighting and a portable refrigerator. There is a also vehicle charging at a town about 10 miles away
If its not a DCFC charger it won't be useful. You will use 10kw to roundtrip to town. On a "fast" level 2 at 6-7 kw you will need an hour and a half to recover 10kw. A "slow" level 2 will need three hours to recover 10kw.

If its DCFC then charging in town may work fine.

300 mile large inefficient EVs like R1 and Lightning are less practical away from DCFC compared to typical smaller efficient 300 mile EVs.

A couple of solar panels connected to a Bluetti or similar "solar generator" is a lot more practical. The solar generator can be charged from the Rivian during rain or high electricity use. It doesn't sound like you have the need to buy a full solar system installed by a contractor.

If you go "solar generator" you probably want a brand that uses LFP batteries. Jakery is the most popular brand and now the worst value.

Count Orlok

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1S/ 2024 INEOS Grenadier/ 1969 Ford / etc.
Occupation
retired